We need to consider trading some players

JohnnyLV

18 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

The Jets finally have NFL average level talent and you want to start trading players away?  lol

While I get the humor, I think the point is that finally there is enough depth in SOME positions, where people would prefer promising young potential over proven JAGs. Since we are likely not going to the SB this year, I would lean that way myself, but we need enough JAGs around to make sure the team has enough vets to surround the higher priority rookies. Also, winning breeds winning.

Also, I think some people have unrealistic expectations about anything trade value; in fact we are starting to get enough depth that extra 5, 6, and 7 don't mean as much to us as they did the past few seasons. What are we really going to get for most of those players. I do get wanting to trade QW; who knows, we may be deep enough (so dont need to sign a lot of vets) to actually get a good compensatory pick if he walks. But maybe Joe can work his magic again.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

The Jets finally have NFL average level talent and you want to start trading players away?  lol

My point was that we have too much talent at certain spots to keep them all so if we can get an asset in return instead of just releasing them now it is worth looking into.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

While I get the humor, I think the point is that finally there is enough depth in SOME positions, where people would prefer promising young potential over proven JAGs. Since we are likely not going to the SB this year, I would lean that way myself, but we need enough JAGs around to make sure the team has enough vets to surround the higher priority rookies. Also, winning breeds winning.

Also, I think some people have unrealistic expectations about anything trade value; in fact we are starting to get enough depth that extra 5, 6, and 7 don't mean as much to us as they did the past few seasons. What are we really going to get for most of those players. I do get wanting to trade QW; who knows, we may be deep enough (so dont need to sign a lot of vets) to actually get a good compensatory pick if he walks. But maybe Joe can work his magic again.

In theory this might be true, but in practice, we dont really dont know yet.  You're putting a lot of stock into all the rookies and 2nd year players hitting and while I'm confident in a lot of them, it's way too soon to be trading away depth and talent from this team, IMO.  Especially with a team that is often injury riddled like the Jets.

Cannot see us trading away QW right now.  I think it would be a terrible message to a young team trying to learn how to win.  Lets see how he does second year in this defense, and see what our record is.   This woud be a trade deadline type move if we get off to a bad start and don't see him in our plans long term.  Can't see them doing it now, and I sure hope our record is good enough that we don't conisder moving good players at the deadline this year.

Davis is unlikely to have much value due to the salary.  This year is about developing Zach (once he gets healthy).  Do not want to move Davis and take away a weapon.  We don't know what we have in Garrett Wilson yet.  If we lose a guy to injury, and have moved on from Davis, we are left with the Mims/Smith/Jackson type guys.  Also Davis has a big catch radius - he is the only big target among the top 4 WRs.  

Over the course of a 17 game season, we need depth, I wouldln't be trading it away.  I would not be in a hurry to trade anyone right now.  Maybe some bottom of roster guy that another team wants and doesen't think they will get through waivers/mini draft.  But I can't see anything big right now.

23 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

In theory this might be true, but in practice, we dont really dont know yet.  You're putting a lot of stock into all the rookies and 2nd year players hitting and while I'm confident in a lot of them, it's way too soon to be trading away depth and talent from this team, IMO.  Especially with a team that is often injury riddled like the Jets.

This is something that seems lost of people. Depth is really about having multiple options. Not "I need 3 linebacker and have 3 good ones so I'm set". What happens if one of those guys gets injured? Now your option are limited and if #4 is dog arse.. well, you have to play dog arse now. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Trading away Q. Williams is nuts. He's still only 24 years old and he looks like he's raised his game this year. The Jets need to see how he performs in 2022-23, not cast him off so he can reach his potential somewhere else. 

You cant look like you raised your game until you played a game this season. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

QW is here for 2 more years at minimum.  Corey davis is our #1 receiver.  Neither of the players are going anywhere.

The rest of the players u listed have no trade value.

Oh no. I agree with you.

Sad Crying In The Shower GIF by Frankie Zulferino

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Karen Intensifies GIF by MOODMAN

You think no one watched last season? You think no one knows he was bad last year? You think you're ******* smart for figuring that out? Wow, you're a ******* GENIUS. 

We all saw it. But not every one of us has to be a jerkoff farting in everybody's mouth with it every chance they get. But hey, that's you. Congrats. You're the smartest guy in the room.

• Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

You think no one watched last season? You think no one knows he was bad last year? You think you're ******* smart for figuring that out? Wow, you're a ******* GENIUS. 

We all saw it. But not every one of us has to be a jerkoff farting in everybody's mouth with it every chance they get. But hey, that's you. Congrats. You're the smartest guy in the room.

It’s happening (again)!

volcano GIF

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

We seem to be in a rare situation where we have significant depth at a few positions and will be forced to release some potential starting caliber players to get to the 53 man roster. Some of those cuts are not likely to make it to the practice squad. 

I also don't think we should be afraid to trade some of our bigger names since they are likely not part of our long term plans anyway.

Here are some players I would consider trading:

1. Quinnen Williams. Q is a very good but not great player. He is in the last year of his contract before the 5th year option which we would definitely exercise. Most estimates of his extension are in the $18-$20 million range. That is a TON for a non-elite defensive lineman. Similar to the Leo situation, Q would have a lot of value right now. Teams would have 2 seasons and control of the third with the franchise tag. We would get at least a first and probably more for him. We would be slightly weaker on the DL but we are so deep there, and under Saleh he rotates the lineman so much that the performance impact would be small, but we get $10 million in cap relief plus $20 million additional next year. That's 3-5 good players we can sign along the lines of Whitehead Conklin Reed Uzomah that we signed this year.

2. Corey Davis Corey is again a good player but not great. It is seriously doubtful that he is part of our future plans. In my view he has been a mild disappointment so far with some injuries and several key drops. He was a solid #2 in Tenn and many FO personnel will attribute his performance drop to our QB situation (right or not). Again a team would be guaranteed 2 years so he is not a rental. I think we could get as high as #2 for him and I am more than OK with just putting Garret in his spot and rolling with Moore and Wilson as our outside guys which also makes it easier to keep some of the WR that have been flashing and open up a spot for someone like Cager who could be a very versatile player for the Jets

3. Rankins/Shepherd These are veteran guys but to be honest I would rather keep Tanzel and Marshall on the roster than these guys and we might be able to get a couple late round picks for them instead of releasing them or much worse, trying to sneak our young guys onto the PS and having them claimed.

4. Ashtyn Davis Decent player, again maybe just a late rounder, but IMO Parks and Riley are better and the only reason to keep Davis is because we drafted him.

5. Trevon Wesco With Cager and Yeboah and Bawden the cuts at TE/FB become absolutely brutal. Wesco is a solid player that can play inline, some full back and catch a little. I like the upside of the other guys better and we went from the worst TE room in the NFL to one of the best so we can't keep them all. We might be able to get Yeboah to the PS again, and Cager showed some ability to block so we may be able to get some draft capital for Wesco who could be a useful addition for several NFL teams.

6. Ty Johnson I think we might only keep 3 RBs this year and Zonovan flashed quite a bit in the preseason game. I think Perrine gets cut, and I like Hall/Carter/BAM better than Hall/Carter/Johnson. he won't be coveted but a team may slip us something for Ty as depth

I know a lot of you are going to immediately say we should trade Mims, but from the promise he showed in his first year to his effort, conditioning and flashes in TC I think it makes a lot of sense to give Mims another year. His combination of size and speed is not common at all. If we trade Davis it makes it a lot easier to give Mims the year. The Jets certainly may trade him but it is not my preference.

Interested in people's thoughts. Also lets not ruin the thread with arguments about trading Zach there are tons of other threads for that conversation.

QW shouldn’t be on this list at all.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

We seem to be in a rare situation where we have significant depth at a few positions and will be forced to release some potential starting caliber players to get to the 53 man roster. Some of those cuts are not likely to make it to the practice squad. 

I also don't think we should be afraid to trade some of our bigger names since they are likely not part of our long term plans anyway.

Here are some players I would consider trading:

1. Quinnen Williams. Q is a very good but not great player. He is in the last year of his contract before the 5th year option which we would definitely exercise. Most estimates of his extension are in the $18-$20 million range. That is a TON for a non-elite defensive lineman. Similar to the Leo situation, Q would have a lot of value right now. Teams would have 2 seasons and control of the third with the franchise tag. We would get at least a first and probably more for him. We would be slightly weaker on the DL but we are so deep there, and under Saleh he rotates the lineman so much that the performance impact would be small, but we get $10 million in cap relief plus $20 million additional next year. That's 3-5 good players we can sign along the lines of Whitehead Conklin Reed Uzomah that we signed this year.

2. Corey Davis Corey is again a good player but not great. It is seriously doubtful that he is part of our future plans. In my view he has been a mild disappointment so far with some injuries and several key drops. He was a solid #2 in Tenn and many FO personnel will attribute his performance drop to our QB situation (right or not). Again a team would be guaranteed 2 years so he is not a rental. I think we could get as high as #2 for him and I am more than OK with just putting Garret in his spot and rolling with Moore and Wilson as our outside guys which also makes it easier to keep some of the WR that have been flashing and open up a spot for someone like Cager who could be a very versatile player for the Jets

3. Rankins/Shepherd These are veteran guys but to be honest I would rather keep Tanzel and Marshall on the roster than these guys and we might be able to get a couple late round picks for them instead of releasing them or much worse, trying to sneak our young guys onto the PS and having them claimed.

4. Ashtyn Davis Decent player, again maybe just a late rounder, but IMO Parks and Riley are better and the only reason to keep Davis is because we drafted him.

5. Trevon Wesco With Cager and Yeboah and Bawden the cuts at TE/FB become absolutely brutal. Wesco is a solid player that can play inline, some full back and catch a little. I like the upside of the other guys better and we went from the worst TE room in the NFL to one of the best so we can't keep them all. We might be able to get Yeboah to the PS again, and Cager showed some ability to block so we may be able to get some draft capital for Wesco who could be a useful addition for several NFL teams.

6. Ty Johnson I think we might only keep 3 RBs this year and Zonovan flashed quite a bit in the preseason game. I think Perrine gets cut, and I like Hall/Carter/BAM better than Hall/Carter/Johnson. he won't be coveted but a team may slip us something for Ty as depth

I know a lot of you are going to immediately say we should trade Mims, but from the promise he showed in his first year to his effort, conditioning and flashes in TC I think it makes a lot of sense to give Mims another year. His combination of size and speed is not common at all. If we trade Davis it makes it a lot easier to give Mims the year. The Jets certainly may trade him but it is not my preference.

Interested in people's thoughts. Also lets not ruin the thread with arguments about trading Zach there are tons of other threads for that conversation.

Seriously? 

• Haha 1

Jets have too many bodies to keep everyone on the DL and at corner. Those are positions a lot of teams lack depth.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they move a guy they were planning to cut for a guy another team was planning to cut at a position they’re more thin at - OL or LB maybe.

Something like the Terrence Brooks for Dexter McDougle trade a couple years back.

• Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

He's looked good this training camp. That's a fact. If he looked bad this training camp, would you say the same thing?

Neither. I would wait until after the first game of the season. 

David Clowney looked amazing in training camp once upon a time and well...

1 hour ago, derp said:

Jets have too many bodies to keep everyone on the DL and at corner. Those are positions a lot of teams lack depth.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they move a guy they were planning to cut for a guy another team was planning to cut at a position they’re more thin at - OL or LB maybe.

Something like the Terrence Brooks for Dexter McDougle trade a couple years back.

This. While Q is the best player on the roster and no chance JD will trade him (well, who knows...we said the same thing about Jamal) I'm sure JD gets call every day from GMs who would LOVE to get Q on the down low. But in Saleh's D, it ain't happening, nor should it.

But some of the other cats are pretty good, yet on the bubble due to great depth at certain positions. Mims is just one. Perine another. A few D lineman too. We just drafted Sauce and brought in Reed, which means our starting corners from a year ago are fair game. Or the cats behind them who were back ups and played a lot of snaps last year. If Saleh knows some of these guys won't make the 53, JD has to decide whether to put them on the practice squad, cut them, or try and trade them for a low draft pick.