Becton to IR, 4 cut

mrcoops

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Becton has a better chance of piloting an eggplant parmesan hero-shaped space ship to Mars than playing another down for the Jets.

He should stick as back up next year unless he is 450lbs and literally cannot walk. Outside chance he could be traded if he survives training camp next year.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barkus said:

He should stick as back up next year unless he is 450lbs and literally cannot walk. Outside chance he could be traded if he survives training camp next year.

I don't think he comes back at all.  Nagging injuries and weight issues.  Pressure from media and fans.  Greatly diminished time for video games/tournaments. Lack of real desire to keep playing football.   I think he's done with the grind of the NFL.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I don't think he comes back at all.  Nagging injuries and weight issues.  Pressure from media and fans.  Greatly diminished time for video games/tournaments. Lack of real desire to keep playing football.   I think he's done with the grind of the NFL.

He's done here. I don't  see his NFL career over. Needs a new start. 

Little bit surpised that Ward was let go so early.  I thought he looked pretty good against he Eagles.  May have just been a numbers game based on depth on the DL.  I would expect him to get picked up by someone else pretty quick.

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

almost assuredly. 

How aggressive do they get in FA is the question. Can't afford to have another experiment at LT

Also depends on what they get out of Brown this season and if they see him as a stopgap for next year, as well as Fant's status.  Really think they need to try to get Fant exrtended sooner rather than later. 

A lot of variables between now and next March adn April, including what Mitchell looks like when/if he gets a chance to get on the field.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

My boy Isaiah Williams survives the first round of cuts.

I just like the guy, and the enthusiasm he always shows during games - whether he is on the field or not.

I hope it works out. I am still salty that Brian Toal didn't get a fair shake here to earn his gold jacket.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Also depends on what they get out of Brown this season and if they see him as a stopgap for next year, as well as Fant's status.  Really think they need to try to get Fant exrtended sooner rather than later. 

A lot of variables between now and next March adn April, including what Mitchell looks like when/if he gets a chance to get on the field.

Kinda weird they haven't already extended Fant.

Maybe JD is worried that he'd be negotiating from a position of weakness now, and he's waiting for either someone else on the roster to step up, or for Fant to get injured, thus lowering his price.

I think he should just bite the bullet and get it done, because, honestly, we'd be lucky if we have just one of our OTs of the future on the roster with Max Mitchell. The rest are garbage, unless someone like Hermanns steps up.

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

Little bit surpised that Ward was let go so early.  I thought he looked pretty good against he Eagles.  May have just been a numbers game based on depth on the DL.  I would expect him to get picked up by someone else pretty quick.

Listening to SXM just now and they were talking about the Raiders as needing help at DL.  I wonder if one of our last-round cuts would be tradeable to a team like that.  Day 3 pick or similar player at another position sort of thing.  For example, when we get down to Zuniga/Huff, whichever one we cut will get picked up if not traded first.

19 minutes ago, Lith said:

Clemons has already passed ward

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Kinda weird they haven't already extended Fant.

Maybe JD is worried that he'd be negotiating from a position of weakness now, and he's waiting for either someone else on the roster to step up, or for Fant to get injured, thus lowering his price.

I think he should just bite the bullet and get it done, because, honestly, we'd be lucky if we have just one of our OTs of the future on the roster with Max Mitchell. The rest are garbage, unless someone like Hermanns steps up.

I always do a double take when you write something serious. ;).  But always good thoughts.

I agree we shouldn’t get too cute with Fant.  We gambled on Becton staying healthy and then needed to pay that much more on an insurance policy when he got hurt. 

In this case, it might mean JD believes the franchise tag is a better option than a long term deal for a player who has had 1 very good year. Plus things really needed to start to clear up with the Becton situation.

But now Fant is forced back to the right side so how much can we really learn when he’s not even playing LT?  … Hopefully enough to get a good sense if he is your LT of the future and at the very least confirmation that last year was not a fluke.

What complicates things is Brown is on a 2 year deal.  If he plays at a high level, then they might franchise Fant on the right side for a year, draft a tackle and then keep Fant and the new tackle as bookends when Brown’s 2 year deal is up.

if Brown is simply a 1 year stop gap and doesn’t have enough in the tank for a second year, I imagine franchising or extending Fant at one of the tackle spots and drafting the other.  

• Sympathy 1