Mims on Special Teams; Boyer Gives Update

Denzel Mims

Brant Boyer spoke to the media on Tuesday and he gave updates on several special teams players.

Denzel Mims

Yeah, he’s learning just like everybody all the young guys that haven’t had to do it much or even some older guys that we’re asking to do it. It’s different when you get out there and you’re not used to doing all those things and that’s something that any three, four, five receiver has to play any three, four, five running back, safety, corner, any of them, they all have to contribute because you only have such a little number of guys on gameday. I do think he’s trying, he’s getting better every day and that’s what we ask of him.

Jermaine Johnson

We’ll see how it plays out and what his defensive role is, but I think that what’s really good about this whole entire draft class, they’ve came in and bought into anything we’ve asked them to do and Jermaine specifically, he’s getting better every day. He’s working his butt off and he’ll do anything I ask him and that just shows you a testament of how he works and everything and how he’s blocking out there is from him paying attention in meetings and his willingness to do it is good to see. That’s what a team does and it’s not about a bunch of individuals, it’s about the team.

Lawrence Cager (does his role change on special teams after moving to TE)

No, not necessarily, I think it goes back to the same thing I said earlier. Any position that’s a three, four, five guy or whatever it is, they’re going to be asked to play special teams and the guys that have the most value on offense and defense and on special teams combined will be here. That’s how this league goes and Cager has done a nice job, he’s working just like everybody else and his willingness to do it has been good, so I think you know we’ll see how it all shapes out at the end.

Kicking Competition

It’s going really, I think that both of them kicked well. Obviously, they made all their kicks the other night. I have no concerns about either of them kicking out of the back of the endzone at any time. Both of them plenty of leg strength, so it’s going to be really interesting to see how it falls out.

The post Mims on Special Teams; Boyer Gives Update appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

12 hours ago, JetNation said:

Denzel Mims

Yeah, he’s learning just like everybody all the young guys that haven’t had to do it much or even some older guys that we’re asking to do it. It’s different when you get out there and you’re not used to doing all those things and that’s something that any three, four, five receiver has to play any three, four, five running back, safety, corner, any of them, they all have to contribute because you only have such a little number of guys on gameday. I do think he’s trying, he’s getting better every day and that’s what we ask of him.

This is not a ringing endorsement of Denzel Mims!  If this is the best he can say about him, then he's either going to be traded, or he will be a final cut this year.

• Upvote 1

kind of makes you wonder why he wasn't on specials in the first place.  the draft position shouldn't automatically exempt a player from do whatever the team needs.  hopefully this will help hi live up to his draft position.  i don't think he's mired at the 5th spot.  he's got the size and speed to move to 3 or higher if he wants.  we've seen the jets field much worse receivers.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Alka said:

This is not a ringing endorsement of Denzel Mims!  If this is the best he can say about him, then he's either going to be traded, or he will be a final cut this year.

Look no further then the game against Eagles approx 3q i think when Eagle ran a punt back to mid field or more and Mann made saving tackle.  If you have the gumption go watch that and keep an eye on Mims.  You cant miss him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Yup - the very faint praise from Boyer is quite damning.

Mims is just about done here. He's too far down the depth chart and, when he does play, he makes too many mistakes. Him playing specials is the Jets trying to justify keeping him over better WRs, but Boyer doesn't seem too enthused with his performance there either.

I think he's gone, via trade, for a conditional pick - a 5th that can become a 4th based on performance type thing.

It's a shame because he obviously has talent, but it just doesn't look like it's going to work out for him with the Jets. Probably best for both parties to move on at this point.

17 hours ago, jgb said:

Dereliction of duty they didn’t use Mims as a situational deep threat in 2022. He well might suck but we burned a year of evaluation when the cupboard was bare anyway. Dumb.

I don't put too much blame on the coaching staff in this case. I know it was frustrating, but looking at the facts:

He was sick and/or injured quite a bit, and not in good physical condition and couldn't get reps as a result.

He couldn't learn the playbook

When he was on the field he was penalty prone

When he got chances he dropped passes. 

Wasn't willing to learn specials (last year)

So I can't blame the CS much here. This year may be a different story if he can prove he belongs.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, jgb said:

Dereliction of duty they didn’t use Mims as a situational deep threat in 2022. He well might suck but we burned a year of evaluation when the cupboard was bare anyway. Dumb.

He doesn't know he can't line up at the line of scrimmage even this far into his career. Thats the second thing they teach wide outs in pop warner after "don't drop the ball". Mims is a lost cause. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, pointman said:

He doesn't know he can't line up at the line of scrimmage even this far into his career. Thats the second thing they teach wide outs in pop warner after "don't drop the ball". Mims is a lost cause. 

I admit I'm a Mims fanboy, but I have to say, if the guy was going to make any kind of statement to show he belongs, the time was ripe last year when both Davis and Moore were out.  Instead the go to guy became Berrios...

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I admit I'm a Mims fanboy, but I have to say, if the guy was going to make any kind of statement to show he belongs, the time was ripe last year when both Davis and Moore were out.  Instead the go to guy became Berrios...

I want Mims to be great for us so bad. But the reality (short of him having a coming to gawd type realization) dude is destined to live a nice happy life in the suburbs selling car insurance on weekdays and sitting out with chubby Dee Milliner on Sundays. Stephen Hill was supposed to make it but he dropped his Metro card and got lost.

D5reYVsXkAAP2hy?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, billo83 said:

I don't put too much blame on the coaching staff in this case. I know it was frustrating, but looking at the facts:

He was sick and/or injured quite a bit, and not in good physical condition and couldn't get reps as a result.

He couldn't learn the playbook

When he was on the field he was penalty prone

When he got chances he dropped passes. 

Wasn't willing to learn specials (last year)

So I can't blame the CS much here. This year may be a different story if he can prove he belongs.

8 hours ago, pointman said:

You guys might be right. What a waste of elite physical talent.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Very curious..

Why are you a 'Mims fanboy'

4 hours ago, jgb said:

You guys might be right. What a waste of elite physical talent.

Just because you have physical talent doesn't mean you can put it together on the field at the NFL level. There's also a big mental aspect to the game as well, attitude, effort, etc.  This was all lacking last year on his part. As I said, he could put it all together this year and get his chance. The desire and effort is certainly there

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Alka said:

Can we wait for the year to play out? Or just cut him now and have Belicheat pick him up and turn him into Randy Moss Jr.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2022 at 1:38 AM, jgb said:

On 8/17/2022 at 3:17 AM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Or goal line fades / jump balls

Denzel Mims played more than 25% of the offensive snaps last season.  He only played in 11 games, but in 8 he played in more than 1/3 of the snaps.  The idea he was some untapped resource is over the top around here.  He only caught 1/3 of his targets.  If  it were there I am sure some vlogging douchebag would have had cut ups of him running around with his hand up yelling I'm open.  

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Can we wait for the year to play out? Or just cut him now and have Belicheat pick him up and turn him into Randy Moss Jr.

This is what mystifies me about this board.  The bottom 5 guys on the roster barely see the field and it doesn't really matter who they are, no matter what some may think.  So keeping Mims versus trading/cutting him will have no effect on this team on game day.  Yet some act like their crotches are on fire and the only cure is getting rid of Mosley Becton Mims.  It's as if, since we can't gain joy by winning games, we can only accomplish that by getting rid of the target of the week for this board's disdain and every day he stays on the roster is a mortal insult.

Thousands of posts on Mims, yet barely any on the guys who will actually play like Moore, Wilson and Davis.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is what mystifies me about this board.  The bottom 5 guys on the roster barely see the field and it doesn't really matter who they are, no matter what some may think.  So keeping Mims versus trading/cutting him will have no effect on this team on game day.  Yet some act like their crotches are on fire and the only cure is getting rid of Mosley Becton Mims.  It's as if, since we can't gain joy by winning games, we can only accomplish that by getting rid of the target of the week for this board's disdain and every day he stays on the roster is a mortal insult.

Thousands of posts on Mims, yet barely any on the guys who will actually play like Moore, Wilson and Davis.

It's almost like we lose because of the guys who DON'T play vs. the guys who actually DID play...

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Paradis said:

Mims could catch 40 balls for 41 touchdowns next week, and STILL, half the board be like--

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493b87fa46353ebhhu67zd

I hope he's good on ST because I definitely want him to make the roster.  I still think he's going to be a good WR and we shouldn't give up on him without at least giving him another chance.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Right.  My fear is that some team (possibly the Pats) will pick him up and he'll turn into a solid WR that we gave up on too soon.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, billo83 said:

Just because you have physical talent doesn't mean you can put it together on the field at the NFL level. There's also a big mental aspect to the game as well, attitude, effort, etc.  This was all lacking last year on his part. As I said, he could put it all together this year and get his chance. The desire and effort is certainly there

Of course that’s what I was saying

I don't think Mims is going anywhere. He's too big and too fast. Plus he's a willing and strong blocker in the run game. No, he isn't our #1 WR, but he could be our #3 next season after Corey Davis gets his walking papers. Having his height and speed opposite Garrett next season could develop into something special.

Plus I don't think they take the time and effort to coach him up on Teams just to cut/trade him. It's obvious to me they like him and want to keep him.

• Upvote 1