Mims on Special Teams; Boyer Gives Update

I thought that the issue with Mims could be intelligence, but at least his Wonderlic score (17) is not terrible for WRs.  Most of the top WRs in his class had lower scores.  But he definitely has some type of comprehension/attitude issue.

But he is under contract 2 years.  The Jets would save real money by cutting or trading him, but I agree that the downside to JD is just too great for that.   If he ends up playing well for another team while Becton, Davis, Zuniga and Wilson bumble around, it will not be good for him.  Unfortunately, Mims is better off riding the bench on the Jets and seeing if he can produce.   You almost wonder if Mims is intentionally throwing plays in games so the Jets cut him....Its a trap.  

55 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is what mystifies me about this board.  The bottom 5 guys on the roster barely see the field and it doesn't really matter who they are, no matter what some may think.  So keeping Mims versus trading/cutting him will have no effect on this team on game day.  Yet some act like their crotches are on fire and the only cure is getting rid of Mosley Becton Mims.  It's as if, since we can't gain joy by winning games, we can only accomplish that by getting rid of the target of the week for this board's disdain and every day he stays on the roster is a mortal insult.

Thousands of posts on Mims, yet barely any on the guys who will actually play like Moore, Wilson and Davis.

Yep.  I'm guilty as charged though. I was a staunch supporter of Becton coming back this year and BOOM! Down he goes. I was furious and wanted him cut. Just recently heard Willie Colon talk about Becton on NFL radio saying tot eh effect that no way Jets give up on Becton. His rationale was Becton is a unique player, (size/strength) and showed good promise in his 1st year.  There's not many humans on this planet like Mekhi and you just don't toss a guy like that away. 

So Colon has Becton's back. That speaks volumes for me. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Look no further then the game against Eagles approx 3q i think when Eagle ran a punt back to mid field or more and Mann made saving tackle.  If you have the gumption go watch that and keep an eye on Mims.  You cant miss him.

It's interesting in retrospect how Mims dropped in the draft to the bottom of round 2 wisen the Jets picked him up.  Some felt that he had 1st round talent, but yet even after JD moved down to the bottom of the 2nd round, Mims was still there for the taking.

Perhaps the rest of the NFL teams scouted Mims better than the Jets did?  

Everyone can have talent, but it's hard to gauge heart and desire.  Two things that it looks like Mims is short on.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alka said:

It's interesting in retrospect how Mims dropped in the draft to the bottom of round 2 wisen the Jets picked him up.  Some felt that he had 1st round talent, but yet even after JD moved down to the bottom of the 2nd round, Mims was still there for the taking.

Perhaps the rest of the NFL teams scouted Mims better than the Jets did?  

Everyone can have talent, but it's hard to gauge heart and desire.  Two things that it looks like Mims is short on.

did u see the night he got drafted and his reaction talking to JD on phone?

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

This is what mystifies me about this board.  The bottom 5 guys on the roster barely see the field and it doesn't really matter who they are, no matter what some may think.  So keeping Mims versus trading/cutting him will have no effect on this team on game day.  Yet some act like their crotches are on fire and the only cure is getting rid of Mosley Becton Mims.  It's as if, since we can't gain joy by winning games, we can only accomplish that by getting rid of the target of the week for this board's disdain and every day he stays on the roster is a mortal insult.

Thousands of posts on Mims, yet barely any on the guys who will actually play like Moore, Wilson and Davis.

I don't agree.  I think the bottom 5 guys on the roster see the field on special teams.  That is the point of this whole thread.  If he can't play specials he is a liability.  Or do you want Breece Hall playing cover teams?

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't agree.  I think the bottom 5 guys on the roster see the field on special teams.  That is the point of this whole thread.  If he can't play specials he is a liability.  Or do you want Breece Hall playing cover teams?

Only 46 can dress for the game.  the rest are really more for injury replacement than for STs.  Mims is either dressing as WR5 and playing ST, or he is below the line and on the roster as replacement for Davis.  Unless Cager can do that, in which case Mims becomes even more expendable.  

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Only 46 can dress for the game.  the rest are really more for injury replacement than for STs.  Mims is either dressing as WR5 and playing ST, or he is below the line and on the roster as replacement for Davis.  Unless Cager can do that, in which case Mims becomes even more expendable.  

RIght.  I get the point that cutting Mims, Becton, Mosley does not actually make the team stronger.  I just don't think Mims is making a very compelling case to be kept. 

On 8/18/2022 at 8:03 AM, peekskill68 said:

I wanted to see him play, bought every conspiracy theory why he was held back, instead of just accepting the fact that he basically sucks...

A lot Jet fans were w you on that one.....  Joe Douglas sucks at choosing players.   Hes  mastered trading and gaining draft capital.

On 8/18/2022 at 3:25 PM, #27TheDominator said:

Denzel Mims played more than 25% of the offensive snaps last season.  He only played in 11 games, but in 8 he played in more than 1/3 of the snaps.  The idea he was some untapped resource is over the top around here.  He only caught 1/3 of his targets.  If  it were there I am sure some vlogging douchebag would have had cut ups of him running around with his hand up yelling I'm open.  

Wasn't aware of the 25% figure, that is higher than I believed. One problem -- and not excusing Mims from accountability here -- is that a sloppy root runner + and inaccurate QB is a very bad combo.