Jump to content

Young Jets Linebacker Shows Progress in Pre-Season Debut


JetNation
 Share

Recommended Posts

Jamien-Sherwood-scaled.jpg

When Joe Douglas decided to draft a pair of college safeties in 2021 before making it clear that neither player would in fact play safety, it opened some eyes.  After selecting Jamien Sherwood and Hamsah Nasirildeen out of Auburn and Florida State respectively, the Jets made it clear that both players would be moving.  Linebacker would be the new position for both players as the Jets looked to get faster and more athletic on defense.

The journey has been a bumpy one for both players.  Nasirildeen was handed the starting job at outside linebacker last season.  That lasted all of six quarters.  Nasirildeen was nailed to the bench after week two as Sherwood looked to be ascending.  Impressing coaches early on, he was given his first NFL start.  It would be a week 5 game at inside linebacker in place of the injured CJ Mosley.  But it was over before it really began.

It took just a few plays before Sherwood found himself injured and out for the rest of the season.  A torn achilles tendon ended Sherwood’s season prematurely.  But if this past weekend’s performance was any indications, Sherwood is back to 100%.

Because he was injured so early on, Jets fans have seen very little of Sherwood at linebacker.  So while the sample size may be small, it’s fair to say he looked like a much improved player against the Eagles.

Nice game for second-year linebacker Jamien Sherwood who probably looked better than he did at any point last season. Comes up with the big run stuff here on 3rd down and 1. pic.twitter.com/nDpBKR115s

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) August 14, 2022

Sherwood finished the game with six tackles and was consistently around the ball while on defense.  He has plus coverage skills as a converted safety and hasn’t shown any signs of hesitating to stick his face in the fan around the line of scrimmage.

Should Sherwood emerge as a dependable linebacker, it will have come at a perfect time.  As it stands, the Jets have very few options at the linebacker spot.  And of the options they have, CJ Mosley is no spring chicken, Kwon Alexander is on just a one-year deal and Quincy Williams still runs hot and cold.  A young, versatile linebacker who has some years left on his contract is exactly what the Jets can use.

Will Sherwood be able to fit the bill?

 

 

The post Young Jets Linebacker Shows Progress in Pre-Season Debut appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Should also mention the fact that Jabari Zuniga didn't look completely lost?  Progress?

Maybe it is not hard for players to look lost in this system.  Whitehead looked bad in 1st preseason game in that 1 play.  Whitehead was one of the better safeties in league before we signed him.  Look at Ulbrich explanation was in his video yesterday on Jets site.  You have to wonder if a guy like Whitehead is getting confused what it is like for these younger players.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Maybe it is not hard for players to look lost in this system.  Whitehead looked bad in 1st preseason game in that 1 play.  Whitehead was one of the better safeties in league before we signed him.  Look at Ulbrich explanation was in his video yesterday on Jets site.  You have to wonder if a guy like Whitehead is getting confused what it is like for these younger players.

Glad you referenced the Ulbrich interview.  Haven't heard him speak much.  Pretty much a 10 minute cliche.  Not sure about this guy at all...

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Glad you referenced the Ulbrich interview.  Haven't heard him speak much.  Pretty much a 10 minute cliche.  Not sure about this guy at all...

you know it is pretty hard to come in last in defense or anything.  It would be logical to assume you need all new players because the players they have all suck but I wonder what % of the problem was the players and what % of the problem was coaching/schema/play calling?

was it 75% vs 25%? or 25% vs 75%?

and before anyone says it, you cant blame injuries for everything.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Glad you referenced the Ulbrich interview.  Haven't heard him speak much.  Pretty much a 10 minute cliche.  Not sure about this guy at all...

Please point me to the coach that doesn't interview in cliche. 

Any team

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, PorP said:

Please point me to the coach that doesn't interview in cliche. 

Any team

did you watch that interview?  when I watched it it did not give me any warm and fuzzies, it made me think ooohhhh thats why they sucked soooo bad that btw carried over into 1st preseason game.  Alos did u see how the Eagles forced the Jets out of their gameplan those 1st few series?  and enter Jets dont force anyone out of anything?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jamien-Sherwood-scaled.jpgWhen Joe Douglas decided to draft a pair of college safeties in 2021 before making it clear that neither player would in fact play safety, it opened some eyes.  After selecting Jamien Sherwood and Hamsah Nasirildeen out of Auburn and Florida State respectively, the Jets made it clear that both players would be moving.  Linebacker would be the new position for both players as the Jets looked to get faster and more athletic on defense.
The journey has been a bumpy one for both players.  Nasirildeen was handed the starting job at outside linebacker last season.  That lasted all of six quarters.  Nasirildeen was nailed to the bench after week two as Sherwood looked to be ascending.  Impressing coaches early on, he was given his first NFL start.  It would be a week 5 game at inside linebacker in place of the injured CJ Mosley.  But it was over before it really began.
It took just a few plays before Sherwood found himself injured and out for the rest of the season.  A torn achilles tendon ended Sherwood’s season prematurely.  But if this past weekend’s performance was any indications, Sherwood is back to 100%.
Because he was injured so early on, Jets fans have seen very little of Sherwood at linebacker.  So while the sample size may be small, it’s fair to say he looked like a much improved player against the Eagles.

Nice game for second-year linebacker Jamien Sherwood who probably looked better than he did at any point last season. Comes up with the big run stuff here on 3rd down and 1.
pic.twitter.com/nDpBKR115s

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23)
August 14, 2022


Sherwood finished the game with six tackles and was consistently around the ball while on defense.  He has plus coverage skills as a converted safety and hasn’t shown any signs of hesitating to stick his face in the fan around the line of scrimmage.
Should Sherwood emerge as a dependable linebacker, it will have come at a perfect time.  As it stands, the Jets have very few options at the linebacker spot.  And of the options they have, CJ Mosley is no spring chicken, Kwon Alexander is on just a one-year deal and Quincy Williams still runs hot and cold.  A young, versatile linebacker who has some years left on his contract is exactly what the Jets can use.
Will Sherwood be able to fit the bill?
 
 
The post Young Jets Linebacker Shows Progress in Pre-Season Debut appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).
Click here to read the full story...



Not buying it. Go back and watch him whiff on a key tackle against the opponents first team. Was the first or second series.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

18 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

did you watch that interview?  when I watched it it did not give me any warm and fuzzies, it made me think ooohhhh thats why they sucked soooo bad that btw carried over into 1st preseason game.  Alos did u see how the Eagles forced the Jets out of their gameplan those 1st few series?  and enter Jets dont force anyone out of anything?

My point was all coaches interview in cliche and there have been some here basihng on our CS for it,  instead of waking up better than you want to bed.... bellicheat "compounds days", Campbell clubs baby seals and bites knees.... they all do it and it's not a measuring stick for our staff. 

To your point though. We saw 2 different things and I don't know which one of us is right. Maybe a little of both? 

I saw a real young team come out with jitters super bad on both sides of the ball. I saw them settle down as the clock went on. 

Whitehead missed an offensive que which made the play look real bad but I still think it was a jitters ssue. 

Philly is a salty and well established vet team..... I don't think anyone is shaking them out of thier game plan no matter how good the other team is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PorP said:

 

My point was all coaches interview in cliche and there have been some here basihng on our CS for it,  instead of waking up better than you want to bed.... bellicheat "compounds days", Campbell clubs baby seals and bites knees.... they all do it and it's not a measuring stick for our staff. 

To your point though. We saw 2 different things and I don't know which one of us is right. Maybe a little of both? 

I saw a real young team come out with jitters super bad on both sides of the ball. I saw them settle down as the clock went on. 

Whitehead missed an offensive que which made the play look real bad but I still thing it was a jets issue. 

Philly is a salty and well established vet team..... I don't think anyone is shaking them out of thier game plan no matter how good the other team is. 

I could care less how Saleh decides to rah, rah his team or motivate.  I do care about how they play call and scheme and so far - they have sucked.

There was no settle down point - the Eagles starters left the game and from that point on it was 2s/3s vs 2s/3s and only proved the Jets have a little depth but w/o a QB fighting to make someones PS they would have lost too.

Ulbrich flat out said Whitehead was confused and will do better next time because he is new to the system.

Philly loaded 8 in the box to force the Jets into passing only team in those 1st few series then their starters left.  Ulbrich on the other hand explained his system as let the other team do whatever they want and react is what I got out of it (stop the big play mantra)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I could care less how Saleh decides to rah, rah his team or motivate.  I do care about how they play call and scheme and so far - they have sucked.

There was no settle down point - the Eagles starters left the game and from that point on it was 2s/3s vs 2s/3s and only proved the Jets have a little depth but w/o a QB fighting to make someones PS they would have lost too.

Ulbrich flat out said Whitehead was confused and will do better next time because he is new to the system.

Philly loaded 8 in the box to force the Jets into passing only team in those 1st few series then their starters left.  Ulbrich on the other hand explained his system as let the other team do whatever they want and react is what I got out of it (stop the big play mantra)

I went back and re-watched. 

Brick said verbatim "got the nerves out" which equals jitters.2s and 3s were in the iPad clean up past on the fly. 

He did not say confused. Said he didn't recognize the offensive que and will not do it again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I could care less how Saleh decides to rah, rah his team or motivate.  I do care about how they play call and scheme and so far - they have sucked.

There was no settle down point - the Eagles starters left the game and from that point on it was 2s/3s vs 2s/3s and only proved the Jets have a little depth but w/o a QB fighting to make someones PS they would have lost too.

Ulbrich flat out said Whitehead was confused and will do better next time because he is new to the system.

Philly loaded 8 in the box to force the Jets into passing only team in those 1st few series then their starters left.  Ulbrich on the other hand explained his system as let the other team do whatever they want and react is what I got out of it (stop the big play mantra)

Also.....

The original post I made was all about cliche and nothing about brick

If you don't care about cliche... why on gods green earth did you quote me lol... FFS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, PorP said:

I went back and re-watched. 

Brick said verbatim "got the nerves out" which equals jitters.2s and 3s were in the iPad clean up past on the fly. 

He did not say confused. Said he didn't recognize the offensive que and will not do it again. 

which is nicer way to say he was confused and this really isnt about Whitehead if you read my original point is that if it is confusing to one of the better S in league who btw was coached by former safety and self-proclaimed S guru then you got to assume the newer less experienced players are swimming.  Which btw was proved out in performance by being last in league.

"got the nerves out" is coach-speak - this isnt peewee league esp for guy like Whitehead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, PorP said:

Also.....

The original post I made was all about cliche and nothing about brick

If you don't care about cliche... why on gods green earth did you quote me lol... FFS

because I do not believe the other poster main point had to do with the cliche but rather the content.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

which is nicer way to say he was confused and this really isnt about Whitehead if you read my original point is that if it is confusing to one of the better S in league who btw was coached by former safety and self-proclaimed S guru then you got to assume the newer less experienced players are swimming.  Which btw was proved out in performance by being last in league.

"got the nerves out" is coach-speak - this isnt peewee league esp for guy like Whitehead.

Learning is not the same as confusion.  Bricks point was that he is learning the word for the different ways offenses attack thier "simple defense"

Everyone experiences jitters all the time regardless of experience...

There is a reason they tagged willie beamen with vomiting .... and it was funny.... because it's real. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PorP said:

Learning is not the same as confusion.  Bricks point was that he is learning the word for the different ways offenses attack thier "simple defense"

Everyone experiences jitters all the time regardless of experience...

There is a reason they tagged willie beamen with vomiting .... and it was funny.... because it's real. 

"learning" happened in OTAs and 1st couple weeks esp for a vet like Whitehead.  but agree to disagree.

I think the Jets have a real chance to go 3-14 no matter who is QB and how well or bad that QB plays if they dont get their sh*t together and run a respectable defense.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

did you watch that interview?  when I watched it it did not give me any warm and fuzzies, it made me think ooohhhh thats why they sucked soooo bad that btw carried over into 1st preseason game.  Alos did u see how the Eagles forced the Jets out of their gameplan those 1st few series?  and enter Jets dont force anyone out of anything?

Teams don't spend time on anything but the most superficial game plans for preseason games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

"learning" happened in OTAs and 1st couple weeks esp for a vet like Whitehead.  but agree to disagree.

I think the Jets have a real chance to go 3-14 no matter who is QB and how well or bad that QB plays if they dont get their sh*t together and run a respectable defense.

Ya. 3 wins is possible.  I think the higher probability is 5 or 6, but can't discount 3.

But preseason isn't gonna  tell that story.  Game planning is about exposing your own team for whatever the CS is looking for....

For the starters I feel like that is looking for strength and weakness to tailor for the rest of TC

For the rest of the team is shaping the 53 man. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PorP said:

Ya. 3 wins is possible.  I think the higher probability is 5 or 6, but can't discount 3.

But preseason isn't gonna  tell that story.  Game planning is about exposing your own team for whatever the CS is looking for....

For the starters I feel like that is looking for strength and weakness to tailor for the rest of TC

For the rest of the team is shaping the 53 man. 

well i want them to go 14-3 and hope they figure it out and soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

well i want them to go 14-3 and hope they figure it out and soon.

Shoot ... if we're 14 wins I am personally driving to NYC to buy you a round!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, JetNation said:

Jamien-Sherwood-scaled.jpg

When Joe Douglas decided to draft a pair of college safeties in 2021 before making it clear that neither player would in fact play safety, it opened some eyes.  After selecting Jamien Sherwood and Hamsah Nasirildeen out of Auburn and Florida State respectively, the Jets made it clear that both players would be moving.  Linebacker would be the new position for both players as the Jets looked to get faster and more athletic on defense.

The journey has been a bumpy one for both players.  Nasirildeen was handed the starting job at outside linebacker last season.  That lasted all of six quarters.  Nasirildeen was nailed to the bench after week two as Sherwood looked to be ascending.  Impressing coaches early on, he was given his first NFL start.  It would be a week 5 game at inside linebacker in place of the injured CJ Mosley.  But it was over before it really began.

It took just a few plays before Sherwood found himself injured and out for the rest of the season.  A torn achilles tendon ended Sherwood’s season prematurely.  But if this past weekend’s performance was any indications, Sherwood is back to 100%.

Because he was injured so early on, Jets fans have seen very little of Sherwood at linebacker.  So while the sample size may be small, it’s fair to say he looked like a much improved player against the Eagles.

Nice game for second-year linebacker Jamien Sherwood who probably looked better than he did at any point last season. Comes up with the big run stuff here on 3rd down and 1. pic.twitter.com/nDpBKR115s

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) August 14, 2022

 

Sherwood finished the game with six tackles and was consistently around the ball while on defense.  He has plus coverage skills as a converted safety and hasn’t shown any signs of hesitating to stick his face in the fan around the line of scrimmage.

Should Sherwood emerge as a dependable linebacker, it will have come at a perfect time.  As it stands, the Jets have very few options at the linebacker spot.  And of the options they have, CJ Mosley is no spring chicken, Kwon Alexander is on just a one-year deal and Quincy Williams still runs hot and cold.  A young, versatile linebacker who has some years left on his contract is exactly what the Jets can use.

Will Sherwood be able to fit the bill?

 

 

The post Young Jets Linebacker Shows Progress in Pre-Season Debut appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

 

Just give me one of either Sherwood or Nasirildeen turning out to be a good (doesn't have to be great) starter.  A guy who can play well and takes at least ONE THING off the list for the Jets to have to focus on for the next few drafts, even though I still think at least one LB position needs to be addressed early in the 2023 Draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...