Add your random Jets thoughts here

12 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. The crystal ball is extremely foggy.  The Jets season could go in so many different directions 

2. Weird to me that after NFL coaching, Zach Wilson is more inaccurate and less decisive than he was in college.  Think about that ..

3. While I’m a believer in many of his talents, who again in our FO thought this offense was a perfect fit for him?

4. When was the last time we had our starting QB play a full season?

5. If a Jets QB could throw for 240 yards per game with a 2 TD to 1 Int ratio and a 65% completion rate, how many games could we win with our 2022 running game + 2022 defense?  I write this because these are stats that Joe Flacco has proven he is capable of.  

6. Anyone else notice how many slant routes we’re reading about in the practice reports?  Tough route to cover, glad it’s becoming a staple.

7. Anyone else believe we should get Zach a visor with fake eyes that appear to look one direction while he is in fact looking elsewhere?

8. Who here believes Saleh when he speaks confidently about our run defense?

9. Why is Sheldon Rankins still on this team?

10. Anyone else pick up Conklin in fantasy football?

why is that weird? BYU had (still does) one of the best offensive lines in the country. He hardly ever got touched.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

why is that weird? BYU had (still does) one of the best offensive lines in the country. He hardly ever got touched.

I guess you didn’t see the out route that was 5 yards over G Wilson’s head on the first pass against the Eagles.  A play he wasn’t pressured on.  Those are concerning throws as much as some don’t want to believe it.  

I watched all of Wilson’s throws from his last year at BYU and you might not find a throw that bad even with someone in his face.  Check out his last drive against Coastal Carolina..

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1. How many games will Zach Wilson start this season?

2. Will the 2022 Jets MOV (Margin of Victory) be in the negative double digits?

3. Will we Jets fans feel like the playoffs are not a possibility before Halloween?

4. What will the girls of the defunct Flight Crew do on Sunday's now that there's no more Jets cheerleader squad?

5. Will @SAR I come back to JetNation?

• Upvote 3

• Jury still out on Zach Wilson, but the bad passes, bad judgment and fragility are all repeating itself.  I think historically he has needed time to learn, adjust, etc.  Hopefully he can catch on.
  • He and Trevor Lawrence looked similarly bad last season.  Trevor had a terrible coach.  Let’s see how they look with better weapons and better coaching.  Yes, I think LaFleur is a good coach.  I think Trevor ends up looking much better with Pederson than Wilson with LF.  That is a comment on Wilson, not LF. 
  • To that point, the Jets will look much better with Flacco and White, and even the other guy.  Let Zach watch it and get better and see how he does the last 3/4 of the season or so.  Zach does not need to play against the Ravens or the Browns while he is still recovering.  
  • I can see the Jets declining the 5th year option on Wilson and rolling with the FT for upside.  That is what I would do for a QB.
  • I don’t have as much faith in Ulbrich as LaFleur.  Hopefully Saleh intervenes and does not make like Bowles and let his friend DC run the show unsupervised.  That got him fired before, and could get Bowles fired again.
  • Becton will never play LT for the Jets.  Less than 50/50 RT. We are not picking up his 5th year option.   Its tough to be a successful NFL team that does not pick up the 5th year option/extend its first round draft picks. 
  • There will be more to see in the preseason, but I don’t think this is a playoff team.  If I am JD I am competing hard but not keeping around 1 year rentals to fill holes and would rather give the younger players a chance.  So there is no need for guys like Rankin and Curry.  I think we are stuck with Shepherd. Go with guys like Marshall, Huff and Smart.  Trade Bryce Hall.  
  • If a team offered a 3rd for Mims he is gone.  Maybe a 4th.  
  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. The crystal ball is extremely foggy.  The Jets season could go in so many different directions 

2. Weird to me that after NFL coaching, Zach Wilson is more inaccurate and less decisive than he was in college.  Think about that ..

3. While I’m a believer in many of his talents, who again in our FO thought this offense was a perfect fit for him?

5. If a Jets QB could throw for 240 yards per game with a 2 TD to 1 Int ratio and a 65% completion rate, how many games could we win with our 2022 running game + 2022 defense?  I write this because these are stats that Joe Flacco has proven he is capable of.  

6. Anyone else notice how many slant routes we’re reading about in the practice reports?  Tough route to cover, glad it’s becoming a staple.

7. Anyone else believe we should get Zach a visor with fake eyes that appear to look one direction while he is in fact looking elsewhere?

1. It could but it will go the exact way it always does until the first time it doesn't. 

2. In college his lineman basically made the defense count 10 Mississippi before they rushed him. Kid could text "do me?" to his mom's friends during pass plays back then.

3. This with starting him right away will be the eventual down fall of this front office. So far he is the fourth best at running it. 

4. Pre Jaw Fracture Geno?

5. 100% correct. 

6. Yes, now if we could execute it it very well make this offense tough to stop.

7. This is brilliant and needs to happen. Adding it to my nightly prayer list.

8. I stop listening to Saleh a week ago. My bad. 

9. He is? 

10. No, people starting to call him Conky has caused me to steer away from it. 

• Haha 3

1- Keep Mims. We'll be glad we have him next year when Corey walks and JD won't have to burn a high pick on yet another WR. Plus Mims is an animal blocking for the run game.

2- Losing Mount Becton and replacing him with Fant kills our Road Grader right side to run behind. Big loss for our run game right there.

3- Let ZW sit at least 2 games, maybe 4, especially if Flacco is doing good. Wait for 'ol Joe to implode b4 bringing ZW back under center. Watch Saleh dance at the podium when questions start flying about why Z isn't starting even though he's healthy.

4- Quinnen Williams is the best player on the roster.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

On 8, I'm sold on the run defence..

I didn't think it was d line last year,  I thought it was a LB / safety issue. 

I think Saleh pointing the media to run efficiency stats further support that. 

So adding whitehead and Kwon. Getting Joyner back and hopefully Quincy improving will all help.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I luv how he bounces off people and all over the place, gets sh*t kicked out of himself and still keeps going.  Reckless abandonment.

and he's one of those guys who always falls forward SJF and gets those extra 2-3 yards on every run

• Upvote 1

Nice threat OP.  

1. Zack ain't the guy either :( 

2. JD is the best GM I can recall us having.

3. We just can't tell about our DC until we have more than 5 starters in a game.  

4. I don't think Salah is the guy either :( 

5. I no longer think we are competing for a wildcard spot this season :(

6. Streveler > White.  Sorry White but you ain't even a 3rd stringer.    

1) There are effectively two paths to the Jets becoming a Super Bowl contender with Zach Wilson at QB.

In the near term he needs to be at least a below average QB who gets elevated to performing like a fringe top ten QB because the surrounding talent is so good, this is most likely to happen during his rookie contract so there are three more years for that to happen - think Goff with the Rams, Wentz with the Eagles, Flacco's Super Bowl and the loaded Seahawks teams with Russell Wilson were also with a young QB on rookie deals. There are two years beyond this year for that to happen.

Long term, obviously if he gets to superstar level they'll be in play for that. Would be Brady, Manning, Brees level - Stafford is maybe the floor there.

If he's not performing at around a league average level this year then a) the supporting cast isn't as good as we think it is and Douglas should be gone and/or b) he's probably well below average as a QB and it'd probably be prudent to reset that rookie QB contract clock sooner rather than later. I know it took Allen a year and some guys have sat out but I think if year two is disappointing the odds of a turnaround are really, really slim.

2) I liked that they added guys for him to get the ball to early this year - Conklin and Uzomah as underneath guys, Wilson as a YAC option, Berrios and Moore can get YAC as well. That interception in the preseason was really discouraging though. Those interceptions on underneath stuff are just backbreakers - terrible for field position and the upside is what, five yards to a semi covered Corey Davis? I'm certainly overreacting to one throw but I just don't think that's a kind of mistake you an NFL QB should make and for it to be one of the five throws we've seen against an opponent is discouraging.

3) That said, another overreaction is going to be that Garrett Wilson seems talented more than impactful in practice. I was all for pumping the breaks in terms of his impact off the bat and really wanted to be wrong. Still hope I am, but I think we're going to get flashes more than production this year.

4) I know the tackle play has been a concern, but Quinnen Williams has been wrecking things on the inside as well. I think especially with a young QB they need to be on top of interior pressure, and the Tomlinson-McGovern-AVT group inside theoretically should be one of the strengths of the team. If that group doesn't get things done at a high level this year it's a big indictment on Douglas (see above re supporting cast).

5) I think Elijah Moore is a legitimately special football player and I hope the Jets don't waste him.

6) Super excited to see Breece Hall play this year.

7) It seems like the defensive line is deep, which is great because if you can get pressure with four guys that's huge. That said, I don't know how they're going to be able to justify paying guys big time money there without taking a ton of snaps. The idea of paying Jacob Martin (I'm going to mix him up with his brother Josh for too long) low-medium edge money to be a high end pass rush win rate guy in obvious passing situations is kind of an interesting alternative to overpaying an above average edge to play more downs - the elite guys don't often hit the market unless they're old, and those guys play for contenders. Also love the idea of JFM playing early down roles but being a serious weapon as an interior guy. Not sure what they'll do with Williams, though, unless he ends up absolutely elite this year.

8 ) Not sure what they're doing coverage wise this year but the preseason game was pretty ugly. I don't know if it's more difficult against the running QB but guys were just running wide open. I had chalked it up to corner play last year, but they invested pretty heavily in the secondary. Takes a bit for guys to click there but if it's not rolling by the end of the year it'll seem more schematic.

9) Seems like Sauce has hit a little lull in practice but I think he's got a chance to be special. 

10) One of the big trends in the league is to combat larger slot receivers who are more impactful in run blocking and can win in different ways with the ball in the air with bigger defenders who can play in the slot - three safety looks, the Rams use Jalen Ramsey in there. The Jets have MCII who was a hybrid CB/S coming out of college and can tackle but isn't exactly big. Joyner and Pinnock also kind of fall into the CB/S category too. Curious to see what the Jets' answer is there, kind of seems like they could be a little behind the curve but also could just be bad reporting. Something that'll be interesting to follow during the season and can get better snap data. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I guess you didn’t see the out route that was 5 yards over G Wilson’s head on the first pass against the Eagles.  A play he wasn’t pressured on.  Those are concerning throws as much as some don’t want to believe it.  

I watched all of Wilson’s throws from his last year at BYU and you might not find a throw that bad even with someone in his face.  Check out his last drive against Coastal Carolina..

Heard an interview this offseason with one of the QB gurus and they were talking about how Zach’s footwork was all over the place and that’s why they brought Beck in at midseason. I do think that Zach hasn’t acclimated to getting smacked around, and when it starts happening his fundamentals go to sh*t.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Heard an interview this offseason with one of the QB gurus and they were talking about how Zach’s footwork was all over the place and that’s why they brought Beck in at midseason. I do think that Zach hasn’t acclimated to getting smacked around, and when it starts happening his fundamentals go to sh*t.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yay another thinly veiled bash Zach thread. It's like fracking Christmas for the hate Jets crowd.

Here's an idea:

Instead of coming up with ludicrous scenarios like "what if Flacco has a perfect passer rating against the Ravens do you red shirt Zach for the year?" or "what if Zach throws a pick in his first game back do you bench him for White?"

or starting thinly veiled Jets feedback threads which only exist to bash Zach and troll why don't you all just man the fucckk up and just say "I hate Zach, I hated him before we even drafted him and all I want is for him to be off this team" and then just move on.

You do not have to like Zach but you sure as fuuckk do not need to remind everyone 10 times in every thread

BTW "Zach sucks" is not a take. It's just trolling

Was all this because I posted a pic of Arch Manning?  Lol