Brady Quinn, Mr Bust himself weighed in on ZW today...

The playing in a weak conference in college argument doesn’t hold much water. There has been so many great players over the years that came from similar types of situations from O linemen to kickers. 

wilson isn’t proven by any means and I don’t think anyone is truly sold on him yet but people think because we’ve had a couple of outliers recently (IE Herbert, mahomes and etc) that if a QB struggles early, they aren’t going to make it. Josh Allen looked bad or mediocre at best in his first two seasons. Year 3, he took off. Improvement and better decision making is what we should be looking for. He learned first hand what he shouldn’t be doing in our first preseason game. 2023 is the year where we will know what we have as that seems to be about the time most of these QBs either take the next step or they don’t.

10 minutes ago, extmenace said:

The playing in a weak conference in college argument doesn’t hold much water. There has been so many great players over the years that came from similar types of situations from O linemen to kickers. 

wilson isn’t proven by any means and I don’t think anyone is truly sold on him yet but people think because we’ve had a couple of outliers recently (IE Herbert, mahomes and etc) that if a QB struggles early, they aren’t going to make it. Josh Allen looked bad or mediocre at best in his first two seasons. Year 3, he took off. Improvement and better decision making is what we should be looking for. He learned first hand what he shouldn’t be doing in our first preseason game. 2023 is the year where we will know what we have as that seems to be about the time most of these QBs either take the next step or they don’t.

It isn't often a QB succeeds after playing as poorly as Zach did last season. I don't  believe Allen was ever ranked that low but I haven't  checked so could be wrong there. The biggest concern I have is Zach's fragility but he didn't  do a lot against the Eagle to make me think he has improved. Small sample size, yes but still not good. 

16 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It isn't often a QB succeeds after playing as poorly as Zach did last season. I don't  believe Allen was ever ranked that low but I haven't  checked so could be wrong there. The biggest concern I have is Zach's fragility but he didn't  do a lot against the Eagle to make me think he has improved. Small sample size, yes but still not good. 

Go look at josh Allen’s passing numbers in his rookie season and then look at Wilson’s. They are nearly identical as far as percentages, ypg, and etc go. Also, can you really say the jets offense was in position to help wilson be successful last year? 

3 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Go look at josh Allen’s passing numbers in his rookie season and then look at Wilson’s. They are nearly identical as far as percentages, ypg, and etc go. Also, can you really say the jets offense was in position to help wilson be successful last year? 

Allen from what I recall ran a lot his rookie season. People were saying he was the best RB at QB. I don't  think you can compare the two really. 

5 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Now go look at Josh Allen's rushing numbers.  Whenever Wilson tries to run his knee pops out.  

Meanwhile, Sam Darnold had even LESS talent around him his rookie year than Wilson had and yet put up a better rookie season than Wilson.  

It may mean nothing but its high time to stop assuming every Jets QB who struggles his rookie year is going to be the next Josh Allen/Rich Gannon/Drew Brees/Steve Young/Eli Manning/Jim Plunkett/Alex Smith.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Now go look at Josh Allen's rushing numbers.  Whenever Wilson tries to run his knee pops out.  

Meanwhile, Sam Darnold had even LESS talent around him his rookie year than Wilson had and yet put up a better rookie season than Wilson.  

It may mean nothing but its high time to stop assuming every Jets QB who struggles his rookie year is going to be the next Josh Allen/Rich Gannon/Drew Brees/Steve Young/Eli Manning/Jim Plunkett/Alex Smith.

You don't assume it, but you have to account for it and give the player the opportunity to improve when that much draft capital is invested. You don't write a young QB off after one season. There is a middle ground - let him play and see if he develops.  There is no need to make judgments after 12 games as a starting QB in the NFL - or after 5 passes in a preseason game in early August as some here continue to do........

Good one.  It would be really funny (and truthful) if he came out with “bad reads,bad throws, staring down receivers.   All attributes of bad QB play.  And who better to recognize bad QB play than an awful , overdrafted QB such as myself.   Welcome to the club Zach.  Now take a seat between Jamarcus Russell and Matt Leinert”.

Zach Wilson was my 4th QB from that class that year. 

Trey Lance was the guy I thought was the best but was glad we didn’t  take him because he requires development and Jets fans just believe  in that as fan base.  Then wonder guy, then Fields and then Wilson

But so what??  

Wilson is here now, he is from a smallish school and needs more seasoning.  Realistically we wont know what we have in him really really until next year, so the guy has to play!

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

So if the Media tells the truth, they somehow hate Zach ? Don't you think at some point Zach needs to produce to shut said media up ?

I don't get this bullsh*t hate talk you guys are constantly claiming .

Zach Wilson is not the type of guy people root against he's a good kid that works hard he's not a Johnny Manzel where you could understand the hate because the kid never gave a sh*t and got millions for it.

Stop crying over your QB playing bad its not a good look .

Crying? What?

Oh, I see the problem.  My joke not cleared the committee and been approved for JN yet.  

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

Twisted logic; " This great QB X had a rough 1st season, so, therefore, Wilson will follow suit". Yeah, he won't follow the career path of the legion of QBs who continued to suck. Heard this over and over. 

Also physically Josh Allen is a giant compared to Wilson.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Zach Wilson was my 4th QB from that class that year. 

Trey Lance was the guy I thought was the best but was glad we didn’t  take him because he requires development and Jets fans just believe  in that as fan base.  Then wonder guy, then Fields and then Wilson

But so what??  

Wilson is here now, he is from a smallish school and needs more seasoning.  Realistically we wont know what we have in him really really until next year, so the guy has to play!

One of the things I learned from Chris Siims

Is stats alone don't tell the story.

This particular time he said go look at the film... other QBs were allowed to run vanilla offense but ZW and Mac were not. 

He was right

And I learned not to get depressed from last year.  If depression is going to happen... it will be during this regular season. 

• Upvote 1

A third rate "media personality" wants to create buzz around their name.
Therefore I'll attack a NY team/athlete (good or bad) because they always have
a passionate fanbase which will get my name circulated on social media.
My name is Brady Quinn

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2022 at 10:44 AM, Bugg said:

Twisted logic; " This great QB X had a rough 1st season, so, therefore, Wilson will follow suit". Yeah, he won't follow the career path of the legion of QBs who continued to suck. Heard this over and over. 

Also physically Josh Allen is a giant compared to Wilson.

It’s not twisted logic. Allen is a recent example of a qb that looked over matched at the next level but developed at a slower pace. Allen did not pass the eye ball test his first 2 years. Allen got better as the team around him got better. Herbert, mahomes, and burrow are making everyone believe that a qb can take over immediately. I’m not sold on Wilson, wasn’t from the get go, but to expect a rookie qb to do what those 3 did also isn’t realistic when the team around him was basically a mediocre college team. You also have to factor in the qbs who have been successful and the situations they were in.  Find me a QB  that hasn’t busted when the team around them was bad. It’s becoming more and more obvious that in order for this new generation of qbs to succeed, there has to be talent around them. I’m not writing Wilson off yet. The team has gotten better and has infused some high upside talent around him. Confidence is key to development. Let’s see what he does when he has some decent talent to play with.

On 8/17/2022 at 8:10 PM, NIGHT STALKER said:

It gets me every time one of these clowns mention what schools Wilson played against.  What schools did Josh Allen play against?  At least BYU produced two winning SB QB's and one of them is in the HOF.  Brady is just sore he didn't make it with the Jets...el bust o.  

A lot of people still don't understand why that really wasn't important in Josh Allen's case but is for someone like Wilson. -

I had this debate a bunch with Broncos fans when they drafted Lock.   I love Lock.  He went to MIZZOU.  He's from Kansas City.  

Broncos fans kept coming back to comparing him to Allen becasue Allen struggled at first, they are similar size and arm etc etc etc.  The big difference being that Lock....probably played more combined passing snaps throughout peewee, HS and college, at QB, VS high level competition, than any QB ever coming into a draft, while Allen had played practically no high level football at all coming into his draft year. 

Locks scouting report was the easiest QB evaluation in the history of writeups.  They all say the same thing, and they've all been 100% correct about him....because he's played a bazillion reps VS high level competition his whole life, he was about as finished a product as there was when he came into the NFL.....all his flaws and strenghts had been pointed out, coached, worked on etc by the time he was drafted...it was a pretty easy call to say, he is what he is.

Allen was drafted completely on raw talent that unlike Lock...hadn't had high level coaching, nor played VS high level comptetion....ever.  The idea was Allen was a unique case because you could make an honest argument that he truly was a guy that if you could get him with high level coahces and high level teammates, and high level competition..that he had A TON of room to still grow and learn.  That turned out to be entirely correct.......and is an incredibly rare and exceptional case for a QB.

Wilson, had also played high level football most of his life and had 2 years starting at BYU...not a horrible compeition level, but not the SEC by any stretch.  BYU has also produced some really good QB's over the years so it's not like a QB from BYU doing well would be a surprise.  I think the Jets just misevaluated.  

anyhow....my point here is that comparing Allen on draft day VS any QB on their draft day....simply isn't a good comparison, nor is it useful to say, look at Allen in year 1...he sucked!  ....Allen was climbing up that steep learning curve.....AND the Bills were turning over the roster.  ALL 5 of his O linemen from his rookie year were OUT OF FOOTBALL by the end of his second season.  Most of the rest of the offense he started with was also.  The Jets may be churnign the roster quite a bit lately but even you guys have had more NFL caliber players to start with than Allen had as he began.  Allen and Zach comparisons don't work.  

• Upvote 2

On 8/18/2022 at 3:46 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Fans are allowed to have hope, that's well and good, but it would be nice if skeptics weren't treated like bridge-dwelling, Jet-hating, motherless freaks because we play the odds. I mean... haven't we been down this road enough times as Jets fans to understand how this is likely to play out?

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

OMG ? thank you for this, this board is hilarious 

instead of beefing up his arms and torso or whatever, he should have been taking fish oil through an IV for those creaky old man joints 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

OMG ? thank you for this, this board is hilarious 

instead of beefing up his arms and torso or whatever, he should have been taking fish oil through an IV for those creaky old man joints 

Thanks for quoting me but it was my esteemed colleague @Jetsfan80 who made that comment :) 

• Sympathy 1

On 8/18/2022 at 3:10 AM, NIGHT STALKER said:

It gets me every time one of these clowns mention what schools Wilson played against.  What schools did Josh Allen play against?  At least BYU produced two winning SB QB's and one of them is in the HOF.  Brady is just sore he didn't make it with the Jets...el bust o.  

Huh? It's a factor. No one said it was determinative. Some smokers live to 100, also. Doesn't mean there is a vast anti-tobacco conspiracy afoot.