All 10 of these players might make the team, which is the MOST likely to be a surprise cut?

Sarge4Tide

Surprise Cut?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these players will NOT make the Jets Opening Day 53 man roster? (please select at least 1 or as many as you want)

• Mike White 6'5" 218 Western Kentucky (QB)
    • Chuma Edoga 6'3" 308 USC (T)
    • Dan Feeney 6'4" 310 Indiana (G/C)
    • Denzel Mims 6'3" 207 Baylor (WR)
    • Tevin Coleman 6'1" 210 Indiana (RB)
    • Bryce Huff 6'3" 255 Memphis (DE)
    • Solomon Thomas 6'3" 280 Stanford (DL)
    • Nathan Shepherd 6'4" 315 Ft. Hays State (DE/DT)
    • Brandin Echols 5'10" 180 Kentucky (CB)
    • Ashtyn Davis 6'1" 202 Cal (S)

Mims will not be on the team - although he will be traded, not cut.

Of the other guys, the most likely one to be cut is probably Shepherd, followed by Edoga (who should be cut, if we can find a capable swing tackle from somewhere).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I kinda disagree with this.  Even tho he's had so many issues figuring things out at the pro level, his ceiling is so much higher than keeping a guy like Jeff Smith, Tarik Black or Irvin Charles, I think he squeaks by.  Especially if he can learn to contribute on special teams.  JMO

This is definitely the key.  Can't afford to have a WR5/WR6 on the roster who isn't capable of playing on ST's.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I'm tired of all the Mike White love so I'm picking him just because....

i was going to say the same thing. but with Zach hurt and looking to be injury prone we cant afford to cut him. we got to keep 3 QBs all year.

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Mims will not be on the team - although he will be traded, not cut.

Of the other guys, the most likely one to be cut is probably Shepherd, followed by Edoga (who should be cut, if we can find a capable swing tackle from somewhere).

I'm with you on Mims.  I actually said Ashton Davis would be a final cut as well.  The Jets seem to be flush with quality DB's this year.  Even at safety, with Joyner and our free agent pick up as the starters.  Then you got Pinnock and at 1 or 2 others that seem to be ahead of Davis.  Davis does get hurt a lot, and doesn't seem to be a natural at safety.  I could be wrong.

I think Shepherd will be a keeper, but Edoga I would like to cut, but we need better than him to cut him.

• Upvote 2

On 8/18/2022 at 9:54 AM, peekskill68 said:

I kinda disagree with this.  Even tho he's had so many issues figuring things out at the pro level, his ceiling is so much higher than keeping a guy like Jeff Smith, Tarik Black or Irvin Charles, I think he squeaks by.  Especially if he can learn to contribute on special teams.  JMO

This is the narrative.  Why is his ceiling so much higher?  Draft position?  Mims is a great athlete with excellent size.  He grades slightly higher, but don't act like these other guys are Justyn Ross.  They are certainly in the conversation. 

I think Mims may just be a bad fit.  He seems like a vertical bully WR.  HIs shuttle time was atrocious.  Worse than a bunch of the TEs.  He was considerably closer to Vera-Tucker than Jeff Smith.  He actually slots the direct midpoint between Tyler Conklin (4.23) and AVT (4.63).

ER3bS6lXkAQBWQb?format=png&name=small

jeff-smith-ras-17754.png?resize=806,522&

EwR_davWYAAR7S5?format=png&name=small

FOiN1WDXIA4vNFr?format=png&name=small

Like Lay's potato chips, I couldn't choose just one.

Edoga

Coleman

Shepherd

Would also love if Feeney was a surprise cut, but seeing as how he can play both C and G, I think that gives him the edge over someone like Herbig or Pierschbacher.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is the narrative.  Why is his ceiling so much higher?  Draft position?  Mims is a great athlete with excellent size.  He grades slightly higher, but don't act like these other guys are Justyn Ross.  They are certainly in the conversation. 

I think Mims may just be a bad fit.  He seems like a vertical bully WR.  HIs shuttle time was atrocious.  Worse than a bunch of the TEs.  He was considerably closer to Vera-Tucker than Jeff Smith.  He actually slots the direct midpoint between Tyler Conklin (4.23) and AVT (4.63)

Good post.  Clearly he's struggling to get separation in this offense, which I guess fits with the poor shuttle time.  He may be a bigger version of Robby Anderson, designed to excel in a vertical game vs. what LaFleur is trying to do.  But in some ways it might help Zach to have a guy like Mims who has the size and speed to challenge the top of a defense.  Last year they really didn't try that many deep balls and when they did, my recollection was neither Moore or Davis was really that good at it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1