PFT Reports 11 Games and $5M fine for Deshaun Watson

Lith

• Lith changed the title to PFT Reports 11 Games and $5M fine for Deshaun Watson

Still amazed that the Texans, who aided and abetted his bad behavior, come out of this unscathed. No fines or penalties for enabling Watson and supplying him with the non-disclosure agreement to use with the therapists. The Brown take the hit, and they walk away with no repercussions.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Thank goodness this is over. Have to flex that one.

Does anybody really care that much for Houston v Cleveland?   By week 12, both teams will be sub .500. Watson hasn't played in 2 years.  What's the attraction?  I don't see it.  I expected 12 games when I read that there was a settlement in the works and it's odd that it is an 11 game suspension with this week 12 match up, but is it really an attractive game to watch?  Not for me. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Still amazed that the Texans, who aided and abetted his bad behavior, come out of this unscathed. No fines or penalties for enabling Watson and supplying him with the non-disclosure agreement to use with the therapists. The Brown take the hit, and they walk away with no repercussions.

I think Watson lighting them up for 7 TDs in Week 12 is intended to be their punishment.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Does anybody really care that much for Houston v Cleveland?   By week 12, both teams will be sub .500. Watson hasn't played in 2 years.  What's the attraction?  I don't see it.  I expected 12 games when I read that there was a settlement in the works and it's odd that it is an 11 game suspension with this week 12 match up, but is it really an attractive game to watch?  Not for me. 

Agree with you on the game itself, but that is burying the lead here.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

'Reached a settlement'  The NFL supposedly could have told the players association to take a hike no, why are they settling anything?

Make a ruling and stick to it.

Our whole world is plea deal lawyerized.

Because the union said they would sue, and the NFL knew there was a chance they would lose.  

3 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

When you think this league can’t get worse…

What a f*cking disgrace. A victory for the Watson defenders who love to play down sexual assault at every opportunity. Congrats.

Especially the weed punishments. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Because the union said they would sue, and the NFL knew there was a chance they would lose.  

No there was no chance to lose but it could have dragged on quite a while.

What a pathetic thing for the NFL to do. I guess I will never learn that most people and organizations faced with choosing between gaining money and power and doing the right thing will consistently do the wrong thing.

24 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

What a f*cking disgrace. A victory for the Watson defenders who love to play down sexual assault at every opportunity. Congrats.

Perfectly stated.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

'Reached a settlement'  The NFL supposedly could have told the players association to take a hike no, why are they settling anything?

Make a ruling and stick to it.

Our whole world is plea deal lawyerized.

23 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Pretty sure the only reason they had to come to a 2nd decision was due to the bad optics of the 1st one (someone sent a tweet like the one above comparing sentences).  The biggest joke is the massive penalty on weed.  Is it even considered a performance enhancer?   It's also legal in many states now too.  

10 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

No there was no chance to lose but it could have dragged on quite a while.

What a pathetic thing for the NFL to do. I guess I will never learn that most people and organizations faced with choosing between gaining money and power and doing the right thing will consistently do the wrong thing.

Sorry, there is always a chance to lose.  

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Pretty sure the only reason they had to come to a 2nd decision was due to the bad optics of the 1st one (someone sent a tweet like the one above comparing sentences).  The biggest joke is the massive penalty on weed.  Is it even considered a performance enhancer?   It's also legal in many states now too.  

Sadly you can get fired from a lot of jobs for just testing positive for marijuana. Even in legal states.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

It's sort of stomach churning. Great message to send fans of the NFL, especially women, that serial sexual assault is a lesser offense than smoking marijuana which is now legal for recreational use in 19 states covering at least 11 NFL teams. How effed up is that?

Let's remember the first judge in unequivocal words said Watson was guilty of serial sexual assault.

Whatever. Many on this board think it's just boys being boys and the victims are money seeking whores.

But he wasn’t guilty. He hasn’t even been charged. Blame the legal system, if you feel the need to blame anyone. 

Not as much as I would have liked, but more than he got originally, so that is good.

The NFL clearly needs to do a parity review on the fairness and severity of it's various punishments, because +1 to the unfairness of that list above.

Ultimately, the NFL is making a business decision, like all it's decisions.  If you truly hate it, you're only real option is to not partake of their business.  Anything less is irrelevant them.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

But he wasn’t guilty. He hasn’t even been charged. Blame the legal system, if you feel the need to blame anyone. 

While I understand your point, its hard to imagine too many jobs in this country that the person wouldnt have been flat out fired for the same level of evidence or charging that Watson had against him. Forget about suspension in almost any job, its termination. NFL is different, I get that

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

While I understand your point, its hard to imagine too many jobs in this country that the person wouldnt have been flat out fired for the same level of evidence or charging that Watson had against him. Forget about suspension in almost any job, its termination. NFL is different, I get that

Some jobs, sure.  But some would probably never even know unless he was charged.  And with a union in place?  I just don’t know.  

7 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I haven't followed the story but is that true that he wasn't charged???  

11 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Sorry, there is always a chance to lose.  

In this case, not really. It is a CBA and the language is SUPER clear. And there is precedent albeit to a different CBA with the Dallas RB. Also, courts are exceedingly reluctant to rule against any CBA as that would start tearing them down. The legal process would take a while but the NFL is like 100% to win.