PFT Reports 11 Games and $5M fine for Deshaun Watson

Lith

Just now, johnnysd said:

In this case, not really. It is a CBA and the language is SUPER clear. And there is precedent albeit to a different CBA with the Dallas RB. Also, courts are exceedingly reluctant to rule against any CBA as that would start tearing them down. The legal process would take a while but the NFL is like 100% to win.

Nothing in law is 100%.  They wouldn’t have settled unless they knew there was a chance. 

7 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Nothing in law is 100%.  They wouldn’t have settled unless they knew there was a chance. 

They settled because they want to get one of their star athletes back on the field as soon as possible while deferring and minimizing any public relations fallout. 

• Upvote 2

For those who believe the nfl is interested in doing the right thing vs money, they just by luck picked the one game that generates the most interest even for non football fans.

just a coincidence on their part I guess.

sad part is - it will do exactly what they want.

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

OMG you say the same BS over and over. First the burden of proof for the gazillionth time is "more likely than not". Basically 51% that he did it. It is NOT a criminal trial. And to that standard the Judge found him 100% guilty. Here is her conclusion:

image.png.426eab8423b7576336c85051d52a81fc.png

So when he say he was not guilty in terms of the CBA and the NFL you are just flat wrong. The NFL proved their case. She specifically states preponderance of evidence which is the legal burden here. Beyond a reasonable doubt is not in play here. That is for taking away someone's freedom in a criminal trial which this was not, it is a civil matter governed by the CBA.

So you can defend Watson all you want, but stop spouting BS in support of the serial sex offender scumbag.

image.png

Who is defending Watson?  As to the legal system, we can agree to disagree.  

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They settled because they want to get one of their star athletes back on the field as soon as possible while deferring and minimizing any public relations fallout. 

What PR fallout?  This isn’t even a very big story.  In the entire scheme of things, very few people even realize this is going on.  Even big nfl fans aren’t paying attention to this story.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

Just now, ZachEY said:

I don't totally get this.

Yes, Watson is a star.  But, he's not Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.  He's not a face of the NFL by any means.  Would losing the Cleveland Browns starting QB really hurt their bottom line?

In preseason, crowds were chanting "you sick ****" at him.  You think that will stop?  The public relations fallout is only going to get worse when the broadcasters are offering their own NFL version of, "It sounds like they're saying Let's Go Brandon."

I think we’ve seen over time that Goodell doesn’t really care all that much about any infraction that doesn’t impact Vegas. I’d imagine they decided on the 11 week number because it’s four months away and they presume the generalized disgust will have faded somewhat. Will there still be an appetite for Watson chants in December? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think we’ve seen over time that Goodell doesn’t really care all that much about any infraction that doesn’t impact Vegas. I’d imagine they decided on the 11 week number because it’s four months away and they presume the generalized disgust will have faded somewhat. Will there still be an appetite for Watson chants in December? 

Best guess... Yes.  Will it continue into next year... No idea.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I agree 100% on goodell but they chose the one game that is guaranteed to be a media and protesting group frenzy. 
in my opinion, this is about as calculated as you get and come nov will dominate all media outlets.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Best guess... Yes.  Will it continue into next year... No idea.

We’ll see, I suppose. The NFL is a sovereign state with it’s own in-house media ecosystem. 23 of the 24 have settled and Buzbee seemed to indicate a willingness to settle the 24th at his press conference last week. Unless Watson ****s up, it’ll be out of the news for four months. The reaction has been fairly muted even today from what I’ve read, far more so than I thought it’d be. 

11 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I agree 100% on goodell but they chose the one game that is guaranteed to be a media and protesting group frenzy. 
in my opinion, this is about as calculated as you get and come nov will dominate all media outlets.

Vince McMahon was less subtle than the NFL.

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We’ll see, I suppose. The NFL is a sovereign state with it’s own in-house media ecosystem. 23 of the 24 have settled and Buzbee seemed to indicate a willingness to settle the 24th at his press conference last week. Unless Watson ****s up, it’ll be out of the news for four months. The reaction has been fairly muted even today from what I’ve read, far more so than I thought it’d be. 

I think this is ultimately why Goodell settled for less than a year.  If he went with sticking to his 'at least year long suspension' and the NFLPA sued.  It would be in the news every week while he played.  Then every couple of weeks in the offseason until the trial date.  He can hang his hat on the fine.  After his suspension, it is new for a little bit, but it is not being dragged out.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

I'm skeptical only because their 12th game is against the Texans.  Why would the league want him playing that game as his first one back?  Good TV ratings?   Sure.  But the optics...  

If this is real, then we know the NFL has, once again, chosen the path of most clicks and eyeballs over anything else.

It's real. I think that the threat of litigation on law-of-the-shop was what moved the NFL; not only do they have Watson out for most of the season and not automatically reinstated (only if in compliance with the evaluation and treatment plan) but they get the precedent they need for future situations ("significant suspensions are available for this type of conduct); that's worth something to them. Would have liked a longer ban.

Yo from what I've read this guy hired 67 masseuses in under 17 months?

He obviously has issues and at 26 years old he's not that sore.

We all know a guy that has 10 DWIS and will never get a license again, and nobody would accept a guy saying hey I only molested 12 little girls.

Everybody was pissed at Kaepernick for kneeling down during the national anthem but what this guy did is okay? Smdh~

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Sure, but I don't know if any of that stops opposing fans from taunting him with "you sick ****."  I mean, I'd probably get in on that chant.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1