Baker Mayfield named Panthers QB1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Even Sam Darnold knows it's over at this point. Take the L and move on.

yeah not saying Darnold should be QB there just saying Im thinking Baker is going to have success as long as RB stays healthy as EVEN Darnold could have success with that set up

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

yeah not saying Darnold should be QB there just saying Im thinking Baker is going to have success as long as RB stays healthy as EVEN Darnold could have success with that set up

It's arguable whether McCaffery is a material upgrade over Chubb + Hunt.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

I tho he was looking pretty damn good before he got hurt and made even Darnold better

My point is Baker has played with the benefit of the best RB play in the league so I don't think the bullish case on him is "now he has a running game," instead it's "he was injured last year and he's more like who he was as a rookie when he appeared on his way for roughly middle-of-the-league QB play."

• Upvote 2

Just now, jgb said:

My point is Baker has played with the benefit of the best RB play in the league so I don't think the bullish case on him is "now he has a running game," instead it's "he was injured last year and he's more like who he was as a rookie when he appeared on his way for roughly middle-of-the-league QB play.

Cleveland is always a sh*tshow no matter who they have so there is that.  I was watching Panthers closely last season I wanted them to lose every game for the draft.  We lucked out when McCaffery went down cause they fell apart after that.

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

My point is Baker has played with the benefit of the best RB play in the league so I don't think the bullish case on him is "now he has a running game," instead it's "he was injured last year and he's more like who he was as a rookie when he appeared on his way for roughly middle-of-the-league QB play.

btw this is not about whether Baker will be better or worse there.  This is about the Panthers and all the need is a decent QB ...AGAIN as long as RB stays healthy...they can be good team with EVEN a QB as bad as Darnold.

6 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

btw this is not about whether Baker will be better or worse there.  This is about the Panthers and all the need is a decent QB ...AGAIN as long as RB stays healthy...they can be good team with EVEN a QB as bad as Darnold.

In order to keep the RB healthy they're going to have to keep him on a pitch count.  If they insist on using him as they have - he'll be out for the season again by week 5. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Ok but I still question what Baker has to do with anything since he did play on the best running team in the league. Expecting him to be a different guy because of McCaffery doesn't feel right to me. 

39 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

In order to keep the RB healthy they're going to have to keep him on a pitch count.  If they insist on using him as they have - he'll be out for the season again by week 5. 

I don't know if I've ever seen a player used as heavily as CAR used him last season before his leg blew out.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

Ok but I still question what Baker has to do with anything since he did play on the best running team in the league. Expecting him to be a different guy because of McCaffery doesn't feel right to me. 

we shall see but

Browns play Steelers, Ravens, and Bengles 2x

Panthers play Falcons, Saints, Bucs 2x

I think he will have a better go there.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

we shall see but

Browns play Steelers, Ravens, and Bengles 2x

Panthers play Falcons, Saints, Bucs 2x

I think he will have a better go there.

Better than last year? He better hope so, otherwise he'll be on the Darnold track. Or do you mean better than rookie year?

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Better than last year? He better hope so, otherwise he'll be on the Darnold track. Or do you mean better than rookie year?

I think they will be a good team (with caveats) as I said...dangerous even and I'm glad Jets don't have to play them this season.

They have chance to be in playoffs even if they all stay healthy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SickJetFan said:

I think they will be a good team (with caveats) as I said...dangerous even and I'm glad Jets don't have to play them this season.

They have chance to be in playoffs even if they all stay healthy.

Gotcha. Well, they certainly made a huge upgrade at the most important position in sport!

• Upvote 2

Darnold is headed down the Sanchez path:  Bounce around to a few different spots as a backup but never sticks.  Out of the league by the age of 28, if not earlier.  But at least in Sanchez's case, he got dragged by a great team to some fun playoff games.
It would all be so surprising if there weren't several of us predicting exactly this years ago.  And now we'll get screamed at to shut up about it because he's no longer a Jet.
Like most Jets qb's...a few years here and there but we always wind up the biggest pay day in their careers.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

No.....

This is about Darnold.

Sucking.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Like most Jets qb's...a few years here and there but we always wind up the biggest pay day in their careers.

We should’ve been Darnold’s biggest payout but Matt Rhule committed a top 10 worst unforced error in NFL history by picking up Darnold’s 5th year option.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1