Jets coach on Week 1: If Wilson ready, he'll play

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I am a 58 year old corporate attorney.  I am physically active-strength train, yoga, run, bike.  I have had both of my knees scoped for meniscus I run 1-3 half marathons a year.  As recently as last month I did serious track speed work.

I hurt my knee a few weeks ago-basically landed badly from a high pull up bar.  It has basically healed on its own.  My PT basically said I had the same injury as Zach Wilson-bone bruise and meniscus damage.  Maybe torn, maybe not.  

So why am I boring you with this story?  It took me 58 years of physical activity and beaten up knees to land wrong and bruise the insides of my knee.  22 year old Zach Wilson just did the same thing, without contact, basically running around on a football field like he and 2000 other NFL players do everyday.  There is no way Zach Wilson stays healthy enough to play this game.  

Corp attorney is a great gig. Speaking only based on the ones I have dealt with, they advise on what to do but do not make any decisions.

ultimatly, the business is accountable with the corp attorney as the advisor.

if I could do it over, that is the route

varjet, apologies if my experiences are not close to reality

19 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I am a 58 year old corporate attorney.  I am physically active-strength train, yoga, run, bike.  I have had both of my knees scoped for meniscus I run 1-3 half marathons a year.  As recently as last month I did serious track speed work.

I hurt my knee a few weeks ago-basically landed badly from a high pull up bar.  It has basically healed on its own.  My PT basically said I had the same injury as Zach Wilson-bone bruise and meniscus damage.  Maybe torn, maybe not.  

So why am I boring you with this story?  It took me 58 years of physical activity and beaten up knees to land wrong and bruise the insides of my knee.  22 year old Zach Wilson just did the same thing, without contact, basically running around on a football field like he and 2000 other NFL players do everyday.  There is no way Zach Wilson stays healthy enough to play this game.

We're not worthy, counselor!  :)

In my mid-40s here.  Was in the habit of running 2 miles a day for awhile but stopped.  Play soccer now instead.  I like it because you can get the equivalent of 5 to 7+ miles of running in without the mental strain (at least for me) of asking myself "why am I doing this?"

Guess I enjoy playing the game more than feeling like I am checking off a daily exercise box.

Not a doctor here.  But I agree with you.  Hard to see him holding up physically.

Also never heard of non-contact "bone bruise".

It is what it is.  Joe Douglas is not going to give up on his golden boy.  And neither is Saleh.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Zach got a bone bruise instead of an ACL tear because of the soft turf . A bone bumeuise is pretty much by definition a non contact injury. Maybe try to be a tiny bit factual in your Zach bashing

I saw what happened and I never thought he had a ACL. He walked off himself. Noncotact injury and he needed surgery. 

I think we all agree that the Jets are hitching their wagon to Zach Wilson this year.  He will not get better without experience.  

If he is not good, particularly like last year, I don't think Saleh will have to bench him.  He will suffer another injury and get replaced by Flacco.

The practical alternative in this offense, on this team, is someone like Jimmy G or Cousins.  I don't see them trying to incorporate positive yardage QB rushing into their game, like Lamar Jackson, who will not last.   The Ravens, an historically defensive and run dominant team, did not have the weapons for a declining Flacco to be successful.  So they changed their offense to accomodate Lamar Jackson.  It has worked, for now.  Flacco could look better in the Jets' offense than he did in Baltimore.

But Zach Wilson, like Tom Brady and Jimmy G, should not be running past the line of scrimmage.  Avoid the rush, pass the ball, or hand it off.  Slide.  He will never last if he is trying to gain yards with his feet.  

On 8/18/2022 at 4:01 PM, Rob Moore said:

Unless I missed something, which is possible, it had universally been reported as a 2-4 week injury.

I’m not seeing anything to read into here….if our starter is recovered he starts, if not the backup plays.

This new trend to hate all things Saleh says and always thinking there’s some veiled agenda behind all his words is annoying.  Hopefully it passes soon and you guys can move onto obsessively hating something else about the team.

Well, I don't agree with you for several reasons.  First, the injury is 2 to 4 weeks.  Let's assume the injury is 3 weeks.  That means that after 3 weeks, he can begin to practice with the team.  He will need some time to get comfortable and game ready.  That takes some time.  It might take 2 weeks, or perhaps I solid week of practice, but either way, after he recovers from the injury, he will need time to be ready to start in games.

I don't know if you're a baseball fan, but Jacob DeGrom was injured for almost a year.  After he was healed, he needed weeks to be able to take the mound for a real game at the highest level.  I understand that football is not baseball, but Zach hardly had a preseason before he got injured.  He will need time after his injury to get ready to give the Jets the best chance to win football games.

Based upon this logic, for Saleh to say that whenever Zach is ready, he will start for the team, I think he said it wrong.  I think what he meant to say was that when Zach is recovered from his injury, he will need time to get ready in practices, and when he is ready at that point, we will put him in games.  

If that's not what Saleh meant to say, then Saleh would be jeopardizing the best chance to win games, putting Zach in game situations before he is ready.