Could Joe Flacco be this Jets teams 1998 version of Vinny?

Matt39

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

He went 8-20 as a starter as a Raven lol

Stop it.  Flaccid hasnt had a decent season since 2016.  Thats 8 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Nothing like Vinny.

Testaverde spent three seasons in Cleveland, and in 1994 led the team into the playoffs, where they won the AFC wildcard game against New England before being defeated by Pittsburgh. After 1995, he moved with most of the Browns roster, coaches, and staff to Baltimore and played two seasons with the newly formed Baltimore Ravens.[11] Testaverde scored the first touchdown in the history of the Ravens on a nine-yard run.[8] He ended the season with over 4,000 yards passing, 33 touchdowns, and 19 interceptions.[12] Testaverde made his first Pro Bowl appearance in 1996 with the Ravens.

2 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

No thanks...we need to find out what ZW has or hasn't.  The sooner we move on if he doesn't the better for this young team.  We don't need a 37 year old leading this team...we ain't talking Tom Brady here.

I'd rather we win games any which way we can and worry about the rest later.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He needs to be a 62%, 250 ypg, 7.0+ ypa passer for this Jets team to be a mid-level or better team. He can probably do that fairly well. 

This team is competent-QB play away from making some noise. Of course, that can be said about nearly every bad team... but still.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

if Flacco can do a Vinny and bring us to the AFCCG and 2 qts away from a SB then he could bring us all the way. im not trading that to see what Zach is.

if Flacco can beat the Ravens and and Browns like most here dont think he can then he keeps playing. he plays till he sucks.and if it rides the whole year then so be it. it probably would help Zach to sit the year. and we still have him under contract for 2 more years so we have time to see what he is.

• Sympathy 1

Love having Flacco on the team, he is a perfect fit. He’s still got ability, is a perfect mentor for Zach, and he is playing at a high level based on practice reports, but it is practice.

Can’t we just leave it at that instead of going to extremes?

Im ok with Flacco having to start a game if need be until Zach is ready.

The bigger story here is the second season of Mike Lafleur is off to a great start, Zach was starting to look good; and Flacco seems to be firing on all cylinders. 

Even bigger take away? This team has some good offensive talent, something we haven’t had in a while!

Nah, I don’t think so. The 98 team was a good team without Vinnie. The current team won four games last season. I think they can make some noise this year, but Flacco will likely play the first few games and that’s about it until Zach goes down again. 

That being said, Joe should definitely feel free to ball tf out.

12 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

While the prospect of losing another AFCCG is very appealing, I must say I have very little interest in watching the corpse of Joe Flacco lead us to a failed playoff appearance (or worse). 

The only hope we have as a franchise right now is that Zach Wilson turns it around and becomes a franchise QB. The likelihood of that happening is a difference conversation but we need to find out who he is this season. If he continues to suck, fine, move on and draft a QB. But we should all be rooting for Zach to do great things this year.

He's a 2nd year QB. It will probably look rough at times. Hopefully not frequently. QB's need to be developed and often take 2-3 years to really show they have it.  Give the kid a chance, for now he's our only hope.

Just win baby

Vinny and that 1998 team were one of those moments when man and situation were perfect for each other. Joe has a better resume than Vinny, however, let's not forget the 1997 team went 9-7 with Neil O'Donnel looking very... Sanchezian. That team was primed and only needed a spark to ignite and Vinny came in with something to prove. They also had an excellent defense.

By contrast, the 2022 Jets are coming off a terrible season with a historically awful defense and a (to put it kindly) very unproven coaching staff and a lack of alpha veteran team leaders in the locker room.

I just don't see that perfect marriage of man and situation like in '98. Even if Flacco plays competent or competent+ ball, the defense greatly limits our ceiling and increases the odds that Flacco is yanked with BYU is ready -- "well, we weren't winning games" -- even if we were losing them 43-40. Oh, and our record looks nasty in the first half of the year.

That 98 team was great, but people give Parcells too much credit as a coach around here. He was surrounded by great coordinators and was really good at team building through pro free agency and getting past players to play for him, but that’s it. We were good in 98 because we had more talent and are draft picks were hitting their stride. Hopefully that happens this year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

18 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Vinny was behind Glenn Foley in 98

18 hours ago, Matt39 said:

He went 8-20 as a starter as a Raven lol

How are either of these points relevant?  The situations arent comparable either way, like I said, Flacco has been on the roster for 3 years now.  Now, if you wanted to say something like, can the Jets hit lightening in the bottle by going with a old vet ala Vinny/Fitz, ok, cool, I do think that is possible but the situation just isnt comparable, I mean, obvi it's not a big deal, just sayin, not really the same.  lol

IMO, the biggest difference is that Glenn Foley was, I believe, a 7th round draft pick? It was not a big deal for the staff to sit Foley and play Vinny because no one expects 7th round picks to pan out anyway. For the Jets to sit a 2nd overall draft pick in his second season is an admission that they made a mistake and I'm very confident the front office will do everything it can to avoid that. 

45 minutes ago, maury77 said:

IMO, the biggest difference is that Glenn Foley was, I believe, a 7th round draft pick? It was not a big deal for the staff to sit Foley and play Vinny because no one expects 7th round picks to pan out anyway. For the Jets to sit a 2nd overall draft pick in his second season is an admission that they made a mistake and I'm very confident the front office will do everything it can to avoid that. 

True and ironic. 

Ironic in that the organizations preach accountability but when it comes to the FO they'd rather ride thier mistakes to the ground rather than admitting early that the pick or FA wasn't working out the way they wanted. 

I suppose this is double edges sword though because if they do that they start  impacting dead cap. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

How are either of these points relevant?  The situations arent comparable either way, like I said, Flacco has been on the roster for 3 years now.  Now, if you wanted to say something like, can the Jets hit lightening in the bottle by going with a old vet ala Vinny/Fitz, ok, cool, I do think that is possible but the situation just isnt comparable, I mean, obvi it's not a big deal, just sayin, not really the same.  lol

yes thats what I'm saying. We dont have to get too granular here