Joe Flacco has been "on fire" as the Jets starter

Facts

21 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Apparently, “coach” reads books on the Navy Seals, has some potential as a self-help guru / motivational speaker in his post-football career, and is a big fan of slogans on t-shirts.

That’s fine and all.

Just wondering where the brilliant football insights are — if he has any — and what the plan is on how to  contain Lamar Jackson and beat the Baltimore Ravens.

I believe he's going to employ a strategy that utilizes gas, but does not use brakes

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Are there people that actually think Joe Flacco is capable of a couple of good games, let alone a couple of good YEARS??

The last time Flacco had over 3k yards and a 2-1 TD/INT in the same season was 2014. He's now 37. 

He has also never had an average passer rating below 80 and for the time he did play for the jets last year..... had a 113.

I'm not on the Flacco bandwagon but he's never not been good... not great or elite but good. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Barton said:

Last time Flacco started an entire season, I believe he went 9-7.

And he actually looks like a poised QB when he drops back into the pocket. Wilson doesnt look comfortable, at least not yet. 

Winning a Superbowl MVP will do that for a fella. With this young, hungry and talented offense they but I honestly think that’s his floor with this team as long as defense holds up. 

23 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Apparently, “coach” reads books on the Navy Seals, has some potential as a self-help guru / motivational speaker in his post-football career, and is a big fan of slogans on t-shirts.

That’s fine and all.

Just wondering where the brilliant football insights are — if he has any — and what the plan is on how to  contain Lamar Jackson and beat the Baltimore Ravens.

Tony Robbins was available when we hired Saleh.

43 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Winning a Superbowl MVP will do that for a fella. With this young, hungry and talented offense they but I honestly think that’s his floor with this team as long as defense holds up. 

Flacco looked legit as a rookie though. And if Flacco catches fire and the Jets are 2-0, I'd keep playing him. This is not some career backup. Flacco is 37 yes, but in todays NFL, QBs are playing into their early 40's. Maybe he pulls a Vinny and the Jets go far, who knows. Zach doesnt seem like he has it, at least not yet. Flacco also never had a great supporting cast in baltimore.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Barton said:

Flacco looked legit as a rookie though. And if Flacco catches fire and the Jets are 2-0, I'd keep playing him. This is not some career backup. Flacco is 37 yes, but in todays NFL, QBs are playing into their early 40's. Maybe he pulls a Vinny and the Jets go far, who knows. Zach doesnt seem like he has it, at least not yet. Flacco also never had a great supporting cast in baltimore.  

Zack Rosenblatt (Hughes’s replacement) was asked about the Zach v Flacco dynamic right now, and he said “people he’s talked to…around the league” (which was always Hughes’s code for Mike LaFleur) told him the big positive of Flacco playing is that they’re able to coach up and evaluate the receivers better because Flacco can run the play as called and the ball gets there when it’s supposed to, as opposed to the Zach offense where Zach is “always scrambling around doing everything off-platform.” There was some word salad mixed in about how the Jets “need Zach” to reach their potential as an offense because “Zach is just so talented,” but it didn’t sound like there are a lot of tears being shed over there with Zach not playing.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There was some word salad mixed in about how the Jets “need Zach” to reach their potential as an offense because “Zach is just so talented,” but it didn’t sound like there are a lot of tears being shed over there with Zach not playing.

It’s the editorial commentary that I always enjoy. 

I don’t doubt that the offense is running more efficiently with Flacco under center. They screwed up last year by not having someone like Flacco available to start the season instead of a Zach Wilson who was not ready, but you can’t put that toothpaste back in the tube. This is a minor injury for Zach, and I think that why everyone’s pretty calm about the whole thing. Having him sidelined for a week or two of the regular season isn’t going to hurt anyone. If the offense is playing great, Zach will benefit from watching and studying the offense being run as designed. But they’re not going to hold him out if he’s healthy and practicing. The question of Zach Wilson is only going to be answered by playing him, and that’s the most pressing question facing the organization right now. 

• Upvote 2

If the team gets off to a good start with Flacco you leave him as the starter.  Love Zach’s potential but you have to go with the QB who can actually win now.   If the Jets are winning with Flacco there is no need to rush Zach.  

A competent O with a QB who can hit the downfield passes could be a lot of fun.   It isn’t all about Zach this year.  Saleh and Douglas need to field a good team that looks competent.   

There are plenty of QBs who sat on the bench and come off of it late in their careers and played great.  I have never been a huge Flacco fan but he has the size and arm to open up the deep passing game which will give our backs lots of space to operate in.  Could be very effective and a lot of fun.  Vinny T wasn’t a good QB until he came hear.  Plunkett was a bum in NE.  Doug Williams was practically run out of the league before Joe Gibbs gave him another shot.

Zach should have sat last year.  He was mentally overmatched.  There were a few good moments but he wasn’t competent as an NFL starter.  TC isn’t going to answer any questions.  They can work him in situationally and develop him.

Obviously if Flacco is done he will be benched.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

the big positive of Flacco playing is that they’re able to coach up and evaluate the receivers better because Flacco can run the play as called and the ball gets there when it’s supposed to, as opposed to the Zach offense where Zach is “always scrambling around doing everything off-platform.” There was some word salad mixed in about how the Jets “need Zach” to reach their potential as an offense because “Zach is just so talented,” but it didn’t sound like there are a lot of tears being shed over there with Zach not playing.

I posted in another thread about how starting Flacco for the first month (with this young O) would benefit the team the most.

Flacco can ensure the O install is proper:

• WRs knowing their routes

• OL knowing their assignments and gelling 

• Establishing run game and O identity

• Play at a level that Z. Wilson will need to meet at a minimum

• Upvote 4

On 8/19/2022 at 8:04 PM, kevinc855 said:

Flacco 2022…..it’s going to be like a Vinny 98 story

get ready

Testeverdi started for the Jets as a 34 year old not as a 37 year old.  He also was a starter consistent starter before coming here.  Who two years before had his best season ever at 60%, 4200 yards and 33 TDS.  
Flacco hasn’t been a starter over the last 5 years, hasn’t won a game in 3 years.  

15 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I posted in another thread about how starting Flacco for the first month (with this young O) would benefit the team the most.

Flacco can ensure the O install is proper:

• WRs knowing their routes

• OL knowing their assignments and gelling 

• Establishing run game and O identity

• Play at a level that Z. Wilson will need to meet at a minimum

How does Flacco ensure the WRs know their routes?  Establish the run?  
Flacco can read a defense better than ZW and probably help the OL with their assignments given his experience, there’s nothing he hasn’t seen yet.  
Thing is it has to be weighed with lost time from ZW gaining that experience that Flacco gained by playing

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Testeverdi started for the Jets as a 34 year old not as a 37 year old.  He also was a starter consistent starter before coming here.  Who two years before had his best season ever at 60%, 4200 yards and 33 TDS.  
Flacco hasn’t been a starter over the last 5 years, hasn’t won a game in 3 years.  

Vinny was a career underachiever for 10 years.   Never reached his potential until he was managed by a great coaching staff. 

Flacco has a great arm, great size and hasn’t taken any serious body blows for a few years.   He might suck but it’s a formula that’s worked several times in the NFL.  

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Vinny was a career underachiever for 10 years.   Never reached his potential until he was managed by a great coaching staff. 

Flacco has a great arm, great size and hasn’t taken any serious body blows for a few years.   He might suck but it’s a formula that’s worked several times in the NFL.  

Don’t give me lessons.  I said VT was 34 and Flacco is 37.  I said VT was a starter.  He had a 4200 yard, 33 TD season 2 years before.  Flacco hasn’t been a starter since 2017.  They’re not comparable.  And these things aren’t debatable and don’t change because he sucked earlier in his career.  You’ve corrected nothing

Funny how many wanted no part of Flacco, said The Jets proved they knew nothing and now think he’s a savior.  

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Don’t give me lessons.  I said VT was 34 and Flacco is 37.  I said VT was a starter.  He had a 4200 yard, 33 TD season 2 years before.  Flacco hasn’t been a starter since 2017.  They’re not comparable.  And these things aren’t debatable and don’t change because he sucked earlier in his career.  

Funny how many wanted no part of Flacco, said The Jets proved they knew nothing and now think he’s a savior.  

I didn’t want Flacco.  He’s still the best QB on our roster.    FYI you need a lot of lessons.  First is don’t be so grumpy.

FYI Vinny was benched and cut by the Ravens before BB convinced Parcells to take a look at him.   He was awful in 1997 throwing 18TD's and 15 INT's befoer Eric Zeler took his job and they signed Harbaugh and cut him outright. 

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I didn’t want Flacco.  He’s still the best QB on our roster.    FYI you need a lot of lessons.  First is don’t be so grumpy.

FYI Vinny was benched and cut by the Ravens before BB convinced Parcells to take a look at him.   He was awful in 1997 throwing 18TD's and 15 INT's befoer Eric Zeler took his job and they signed Harbaugh and cut him outright. 

VT is not Flacco for all the reason I listed but your going to keep arguing differently.  Unless Flaccos last year as a starter getting benched after going 2-6 over 8 games with 6TDs and 5INTs and not winning a single game since is so much better than reciting VTs last full season as a starter is relevant

1 hour ago, slats said:

I don’t doubt that the offense is running more efficiently with Flacco under center. They screwed up last year by not having someone like Flacco available to start the season instead of a Zach Wilson who was not ready, but you can’t put that toothpaste back in the tube. This is a minor injury for Zach, and I think that why everyone’s pretty calm about the whole thing. Having him sidelined for a week or two of the regular season isn’t going to hurt anyone. If the offense is playing great, Zach will benefit from watching and studying the offense being run as designed. But they’re not going to hold him out if he’s healthy and practicing. The question of Zach Wilson is only going to be answered by playing him, and that’s the most pressing question facing the organization right now. 

For sure they’re going to have to play him and it’s 100% the right move. Neither Flacco nor White *should* start over Zach Wilson this year. That said, a few *decent* weeks of offense under Flacco where the ball is being spread around—particularly to Elijah Moore and Garrett Wilson—is going to raise the temperature on Zach and Saleh if Zach struggles when he comes back. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

VT is not Flacco for all the reason I listed but your going to keep arguing differently.  Unless Flaccos last year as a starter getting benched after going 2-6 over 8 games with 6TDs and 5INTs and not winning a single game since is so much better than reciting VTs last full season as a starter is relevant

Everything is irrelvant doesn't really move me off my opinion or strengten yours.  Lets just say we disagree and leave it at that.   Vinny was cut and was salvaged by BB who as you pointed out you don't give a sh*t about.   Vinny was picked off the scrap heep as was Flacco, Plunkett, Doug Williams and Kurt Warner with AZ.  

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Play at a level that Z. Wilson will need to meet at a minimum

This is the tough part: they didn’t draft Wilson to play like Joe Flacco, and I definitely don’t think Wilson can ever play like Joe Flacco. Zach thinks he’s Russell Wilson/Kyler Murray, but he’s not remotely as good or athletic as those guys are, and this offense isn’t calling for him to play that way. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Lets say the Jets with Flacco win the first two games and they start Zach week 3 against the Bengals and the O stalls they go to Pittsburgh the following week and lose with a bad performance and you along with several members of Jet Nation including your's truly are in the stands against Miami and Zach is not doing well and were getting blown out at halftime.  

This could be a 2 and 2 team with it's first division game and Flacco has gotten us two wins and Zach still looks like he can't run the O?

You can't sacrifice the team for Zach.  This is a solid roster that may be able to compete for the playoffs.  There are jobs on the line for coaches and GM staff along with players.   You can't sacrifice the season if we have a playoff roster with Flacco for Zach. 

Granted that's unlikely but not crazy.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Everything is irrelvant doesn't really move me off my opinion or strengten yours.  Lets just say we disagree and leave it at that.   Vinny was cut and was salvaged by BB who as you pointed out you don't give a sh*t about.   Vinny was picked off the scrap heep as was Flacco, Plunkett, Doug Williams and Kurt Warner with AZ.  

VT was benched and salvaged by Parcells who wasn’t interested in developing anyone.  All these QBs were recent starters.  Flacco hasn’t started in 5 1/2 seasons.  My point is the fantasy that Flacco is the same therefore can do for the team what VT did is a dream.  As soon as ZW is ready Flacco is taking a seat. 

55 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How does Flacco ensure the WRs know their routes?  Establish the run?  
Flacco can read a defense better than ZW and probably help the OL with their assignments given his experience, there’s nothing he hasn’t seen yet.  
Thing is it has to be weighed with lost time from ZW gaining that experience that Flacco gained by playing

Its all speculation of course but the quotes about Flacco being able to coach up and lead the younger players are what I’m going off of 

+

his years of experience.

Look Flacco isn’t the future. I WANT Z. Wilson to succeed and I wanted us to draft him. 

Mahomes came into an offense with players hitting their primes. Not rookies + 2nd year guys.

It’s harder for Wilson to succeed because hes so young as is the roster. Having Flacco start a few games might be good for all involved.

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is the tough part: they didn’t draft Wilson to play like Joe Flacco, and I definitely don’t think Wilson can ever play like Joe Flacco. Zach thinks he’s Russell Wilson/Kyler Murray, but he’s not remotely as good or athletic as those guys are, and this offense isn’t calling for him to play that way. 

I meant play at x threshold this season.

Not long term. Being drafted 2nd overall definitely should have expectations beyond average. 

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

VT was benched and salvaged by Parcells who wasn’t interested in developing anyone.  All these QBs were recent starters.  Flacco hasn’t started in 5 1/2 seasons.  My point is the fantasy that Flacco is the same therefore can do for the team what VT did is a dream.  As soon as ZW is ready Flacco is taking a seat. 

Glenn Foley was the started in 2008.  Vinny was the backup and got the job when Foley got hurt.  

Lets say the Jets with Flacco win the first two games and they start Zach week 3 against the Bengals and the O stalls they go to Pittsburgh the following week and lose with a bad performance and you along with several members of Jet Nation including your's truly are in the stands against Miami and Zach is not doing well and were getting blown out at halftime.  
This could be a 2 and 2 team with it's first division game and Flacco has gotten us two wins and Zach still looks like he can't run the O?
You can't sacrifice the team for Zach.  This is a solid roster that may be able to compete for the playoffs.  There are jobs on the line for coaches and GM staff along with players.   You can't sacrifice the season if we have a playoff roster with Flacco for Zach. 
Granted that's unlikely but not crazy.  

Why do you think Zach can’t run the O? He was having a great camp before the injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, tfine said:

Why do you think Zach can’t run the O? He was having a great camp before the injury.

I don't think he can't.  I also haven't seen evidence against live bullets that he can.  TBD...  Training camp isn't real NFL games where teams actually scheme against you and adjust to tape.  

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

I meant play at x threshold this season.

Not long term. Being drafted 2nd overall definitely should have expectations beyond average. 

Gotcha. I guess I’d just say that it’s hard to establish a threshold for Zach vs the one you might have for Flacco/White, because the entire premise of suffering through these joyless nightmare games with Zach Wilson is that he’s going to become an elite player when it’s all said and done. He is so, so bad right now, but we’ve been promised this elite-level Patrick Mahomes-in-waiting prospect. What does that progression look like and how do we measure it? IMO, that falls on Saleh and Douglas for handing him the starting job pre-draft: we all got to see how terrible he looked from Day One, so any marginal improvements he makes have to be weighed against the expectation that he’ll be great at some nebulous point in the future. 

11 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Its all speculation of course but the quotes about Flacco being able to coach up and lead the younger players are what I’m going off of 

+

his years of experience.

Look Flacco isn’t the future. I WANT Z. Wilson to succeed and I wanted us to draft him. 

Mahomes came into an offense with players hitting their primes. Not rookies + 2nd year guys.

It’s harder for Wilson to succeed because hes so young as is the roster. Having Flacco start a few games might be good for all involved.

I agree with this.

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Glenn Foley was the started in 2008.  Vinny was the backup and got the job when Foley got hurt.  

IIRC, Parcells got cold feet on starting Foley after he threw three picks against the Ravens so he turned to Testaverde and never looked back

I don't think he can't.  I also haven't seen evidence against live bullets that he can.  TBD...  Training camp isn't real NFL games where teams actually scheme against you and adjust to tape.  

Neither are preseason games where everything is vanilla. I mean last season he got better towards the end of the year?

15 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

+

his years of experience.

This is why you don’t draft a rookie QB to a young rebuilding team. Establish the foundation with a Vet QB to help young guys and install new offensive system etc. THEN you draft a rookie QB so you can’t have the excuse of “he had no weapons” etc. The Jets have and always will be ass backwards when drafting rookie QBs. 

• Upvote 1