Our DC

WowOhWow

I fully realize he has no talent and a very young group of players last year.  But he had a year with them.  Now he got some new blood via the draft and free agency.  And the defense still can’t stop anyone.  Even with Zach’s struggles (Legit concern there) the job our DC has done is my biggest concern.  Our first PS game they looked pathetic.  Am I over reacting?  What evidence is there our defense can stop anyone?  I haven’t seen it.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 6
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

His entire defensive unit didn’t play.  The starters played a couple of drives.  The first drive could have been stopped if Quincy didn’t smash the QB out of bounds.  
Denver gave up 335 yards in the first half yesterday.  It’s preseason 

Just read Quincy got fined $10k for that hit.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

So all of you feel good about our DC?  No concerns?  All is OK?  

Nobody has an opinion that’s anything more than a guess.  If this unit, with all the additional talent struggles, then you question his coaching.  Not because his defense gave up a 1st quarter TD on the first drive, a second TD after a turnover and then no other points until the 4th quarter.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

The DC is a legitimate concern.  First off, Saleh has said numerous times that he is not calling the defense, he is assisting and its his "scheme" but the gameplans and calls are all Ulbrich.  

In the Eagles game there was a great breakdown of the first eagles touchdown showing how we didnt disguise the coverage and it was a very easy read for Hurts ( which it was). Now its preseason and we arent gonna disguise certain coverages BUT we also didnt really disguise things well last year (which was the point of the breakdown).

I really think we will know what we have in Ulbrich week 1 because that gameplan should be very easy to develop given the personnel on the field.  The Ravens do not have a single WR on their team that requires extra attention and we have invested heavily at CB and in a safety who excels vs RPOs.  We should rarely ever be in 2-high against the ravens nor should we be rolling coverages to a particular side and leaving the players in bad spots against Jackson.  I do think that Dobbins will be closer to full strength they people think, but he still will be in his first game back so he will be given 20 touches max.  The team can completely sell out to stop the run (including LJ) and Andrews and let the CBs stay in single coverage all day.  If we dont see this - if whitehead isnt playing close to the line and spying Jackson, then I think its pretty clear Ulbrich doesnt get it.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

You're over reacting. They were down 5 starters. They played a bland zone coverage and didn't blitz when first team was in. They literally showed nothing. Can we at least get to the middle of the season before putting some judgements together?

Middle of the season?   If it’s not fixed by game 3 the season will not go well.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

You're over reacting. They were down 5 starters. They played a bland zone coverage and didn't blitz when first team was in. They literally showed nothing. Can we at least get to the middle of the season before putting some judgements together?

That said - you have no concerns about our DC?  You’re good?  Cmon man.  Be real.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

His entire 1sr defensive unit didn’t play.  No Lawson, CJ etc.  The starters played a couple of drives.  The first drive could have been stopped if Quincy didn’t smash the QB out of bounds.  
Denver gave up 335 yards in the first half yesterday.  No one’s worrying.  It’s preseason 

Um, speak for yourself. When Jalen Hurts makes you look silly, I don't care what the circumstance is, you should worry. Not to say the sky is falling, but considering how inept our d was last season, it looked like a continuation of our players having absolutely no clue what to do and where to go. Hope I am wrong, but I am usually not.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Ulbrich is one of the best young defensive minds in the league.  We are lucky to have him.  As always, Jets fans have to search for something negative and I guess today its Ulbrich.  The disease………..

So how our defense "performed" last season impressed you?  Fortified your confidence in Ulbrich's guidance and overall ability to run the defense?  I must have a severe eye "disease", as all I saw was a another scrub DC who should have been fired just for the effort his unit put forth.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Um, speak for yourself. When Jalen Hurts makes you look silly, I don't care what the circumstance is, you should worry. Not to say the sky is falling, but considering how inept our d was last season, it looked like a continuation of our players having absolutely no clue what to do and where to go. Hope I am wrong, but I am usually not.

I should have added “not counting some fans on a message board”.   
You keep reminding us what a group of the starting unit did against Philly starters did on one drive.  A drive that I think would have been stopped with out the help of a stupid penalty.  As I said the vaunted Denver D was shredded yesterday and no one is worried.  Last season had nowhere near the talent on this team before they lost half the unit to injury

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

So all of you feel good about our DC?  No concerns?  All is OK?  

I think, based on last year’s performance, most of us are concerned with Ulbrich’s ability as a coordinator. They added some really nice players (on paper) and they're getting back some injured ones, so there’s as much a reason to be excited as there is to be concerned. As is said every year, this is still preseason and it often doesn’t reflect what the season will look like. Ulbrich will get this year to prove he’s as good as a monkey and if he’s not he has a good shot at being terminated. 

What would you like us to do? We’ve been talking about our concerns with the defense for a whole year now. Ulbrich is the DC for this season. We all have to just be grown ups, suck it up, and see what happens. But let’s get into the regular season first to see what they ACTUALLY have. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

That said - you have no concerns about our DC?  You’re good?  Cmon man.  Be real.  

Even if we had concerns , what good does it do to overreact to it, its not going to change anything. 

Do you think throwing it out there makes you look smart ? 

And we all know if the D performs well , you'll just say , well glad I was wrong and I'm happy. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Middle of the season ? If not fixed by the 1st drive of game 1, a pitchfork armed band of posters here will be stormin Metlife I'm sure. 

And the fans will still be irrelevant regarding Saleh being a competent HC.  

• Thumb Down 1

29 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

So how our defense "performed" last season impressed you?  Fortified your confidence in Ulbrich's guidance and overall ability to run the defense?  I must have a severe eye "disease", as all I saw was a another scrub DC who should have been fired just for the effort his unit put forth.  

What was the average age of the starters on defense last year, all learning under a new system and scheme ? Even the hardest kool-aid drinkers knew it wasn't going to be pretty.

This year they've had a full off-season with a familiar playbook and got some key pieces and vets plugged into the unit(Lawson, Whitehead,  Reed, Alexander)  And then add in draft picks like Sauce, JJ and Clemons . Do I expect them to gel day 1 - no ,  but I do feel this could be a formidable D if the Offense can minimize the 3 and outs.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Concerns are warranted given last season. They aren’t based on two drives in the first preseason game playing soft zones with zero blitzes and half the starters not playing.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I have the ability to see the forest for the trees.  How the defense performed last year has 0 bearing on how the D will be this year.  Ulbrich is a stud.  The guy is super smart, has a great plan and now has the players to execute that plan.

You were probably one of the guys who wanted lafluer fired by week 5 last year.  Have some patience brother.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Agree about the fans being irrelevant. Couldn't disagree with your more about the HC , time will tell. 

I have no doubt he will get a chance this year and next to prove me wrong unless things go completely off the rails.   Hope he does it.

18 minutes ago, the Claw said:

I think, based on last year’s performance, most of us are concerned with Ulbrich’s ability as a coordinator. They added some really nice players (on paper) and they're getting back some injured ones, so there’s as much a reason to be excited as there is to be concerned. As is said every year, this is still preseason and it often doesn’t reflect what the season will look like. Ulbrich will get this year to prove he’s as good as a monkey and if he’s not he has a good shot at being terminated. 

What would you like us to do? We’ve been talking about our concerns with the defense for a whole year now. Ulbrich is the DC for this season. We all have to just be grown ups, suck it up, and see what happens. But let’s get into the regular season first to see what they ACTUALLY have. 

I think we're just pointing out that our DC is the weakest link on the entire team.  It's an important job so that sux.    

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

I think a bunch of folks on this board love to throw out the tired trope about being a jaded Jets fan whenever any topic raising concerns comes up.  I’ve watched enough good and bad football in my time to have an opinion. I’ve gone through many cycles of preseasons to know.  Some coaches are better coaches than others.  Our DC hasn’t proven a thing.  If you’re not concerned - tell me, what concerns you?  Nothing?  We’re in great shape?  Here’s the way I see it - all you geniuses can poke holes:

1 - the last two drafts and off seasons we’ve added a ton of talent.  I’m as bullish on these two offseasons as I’ve been in ages.

2. I liked the development I saw from our OC last year.  I believe he has a bright future.

3.  Lots criticized the Flacco signing.  I think he’ll be serviceable to better than serviceable.  Actually really glad he’s here.  
4.  Big JD fan.  I trust him.

5. but our DC - he talks pretty and bold but I haven’t seen a thing to bring me optimism. 
6. Lastly - I was very happy w the Salah hire.  I’m souring a bit.  I am still trying to figure out what his signature is?  Are we a nasty team?  Are we an exciting offensive team?  What are we?  He’s gotten a pass bc of the talent deficit.  But that excuse is going away fast…

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

He celebrated Quincy Williams hit at the moment it occurred. Jumping in the air, raising his arms in jubilation. The ref was right behind him and threw the flag.

He showed zero awareness there. It was obviously out of bounds.

This is not a good sign, imo.

We need to be aware how the team is perceived. I.e. not a late hitting out of control defense, but a focused, aware and tough.

Be a leader.

Sent from my SM-S908U using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I have the ability to see the forest for the trees.  How the defense performed last year has 0 bearing on how the D will be this year.  Ulbrich is a stud.  The guy is super smart, has a great plan and now has the players to execute that plan.

You were probably one of the guys who wanted lafluer fired by week 5 last year.  Have some patience brother.

17 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

What was the average age of the starters on defense last year, all learning under a new system and scheme ? Even the hardest kool-aid drinkers knew it wasn't going to be pretty.

This year they've had a full off-season with a familiar playbook and got some key pieces and vets plugged into the unit(Lawson, Whitehead,  Reed, Alexander)  And then add in draft picks like Sauce, JJ and Clemons . Do I expect them to gel day 1 - no ,  but I do feel this could be a formidable D if the Offense can minimize the 3 and outs.   

Man, some in this fan base love excuses.  Owners, coaches, players;  everybody get to skate free.  Always someone else's fault, age, lack of weapons, etc.

Like it or not, Ulbrich owns a defense which was LAST in points allowed last season.  Fuk, I could have coached that unit to last.  Johnson actually paid that fraud?   RBs consistently running up the gut on us at will.  Players out of position or generally unprepared.  That's incompetence.  And Ulbrich's responsibility.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1