Friendly Reminder from your favorite JetNation poster; NFL Preseason "games" are meaningless garbage!

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

It matters in the least mattering form of mattering, the scrimmages matter, this, sure, for guys who you wont see in the regular season but otherwise, meaningless. 

Scrimmages aren’t full tilt. Creating as close to a real game atmosphere for young players is important. Preseason does that. The nothing matters stuff is insane. Everything matters. If they didn’t matter the league would eliminate them.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I know everyone is super duper jazzed about this evenings contest (I could barely sleep!) vs. the Atlanta Flacons and while I'm confident this friendly word of caution will not be read or heard by all and we will still have some ridiculous overreactions either way but I do just want to remind everyone, this "game" is totally meaningless garbage.  This "game" will provide you with zero indications of what to expect in the regular season and will be the least entertaining Football "game" you've ever watched.  These "games" are completely and totally unbearable and make my eyes bleed trying to pay attention.   They're miserably covered, miserably shot, the level of play is atrocious and it's truly a waste of good air time for better fresh programs like Cheers and M.A.S.H reruns. 

So, with that said, have fun tonight boys and girls!  Enjoy watching fringe roster players battle for a roster spot without actually knowing what you're watching or/and what the coaches want to see from those players!  Put on your favorite Jets gear, fire up some good eats, poor you some of your finest spirits, get comfy in your favorite chair and have the remote control ready to flip to something, anything, more interesting!

Wait you mean Brooks Bollinger isn’t a good QB?

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Scrimmages aren’t full tilt. Creating as close to a real game atmosphere for young players is important. Preseason does that. The nothing matters stuff is insane. Everything matters. If they didn’t matter the league would eliminate them.

I agree that everything matters, particularly for young players. 

I think the issue is that, because of a) small sample sizes, and b) different coaches/teams/players approaching preseason differently from one another, people tend to overreact to what they see in preseason. The legends of Bret Ratliff and David Clowney are instructive. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

I agree that everything matters, particularly for young players. 

I think the issue is that, because of a) small sample sizes, and b) different coaches/teams/players approaching preseason differently from one another, people tend to overreact to what they see in preseason. The legends of Bret Ratliff and David Clowney are instructive. 

Overall outcomes don’t matter. But live reps do. Also for backup players getting experience matters as well. I really don’t get where the nothing matters stuff came from tbh. Maybe since the Jets have been so bad for so long that losing is just expected I dunno. Does practice not matter too?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Overall outcomes don’t matter. But live reps do. Also for backup players getting experience matters as well. I really don’t get where the nothing matters stuff came from tbh. Maybe since the Jets have been so bad for so long that losing is just expected I dunno. Does practice not matter too?

Doesn't matter in the sense of it being any sort of indicator of what's to come in the regular season. (ex. omgz the defense can't stop anyone, nothing has changed)

Individual reps, sure, it's helpful. I guess...

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I know everyone is super duper jazzed about this evenings contest (I could barely sleep!) vs. the Atlanta Flacons and while I'm confident this friendly word of caution will not be read or heard by all and we will still have some ridiculous overreactions either way but I do just want to remind everyone, this "game" is totally meaningless garbage.  This "game" will provide you with zero indications of what to expect in the regular season and will be the least entertaining Football "game" you've ever watched.  These "games" are completely and totally unbearable and make my eyes bleed trying to pay attention.   They're miserably covered, miserably shot, the level of play is atrocious and it's truly a waste of good air time for better fresh programs like Cheers and M.A.S.H reruns. 

So, with that said, have fun tonight boys and girls!  Enjoy watching fringe roster players battle for a roster spot without actually knowing what you're watching or/and what the coaches want to see from those players!  Put on your favorite Jets gear, fire up some good eats, poor you some of your finest spirits, get comfy in your favorite chair and have the remote control ready to flip to something, anything, more interesting!

Preseason performances that confirm your priors are very important. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah, no, the scrimmages are 100x more important, literally every player and coach will verify this...it's nothing new.

• Post of the Week 3

45 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Who's benefitting from fake live reps? lol   Answer: Not anyone that matters...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Yeah, no, the scrimmages are 100x more important, literally every player and coach will verify this...it's nothing new.

Agree that scrimmages are actually probably more helpful - mainly because the coaches always hide their playbooks in the preseason. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Chris Leak threw for the most passing yards in the history of the Florida Gators.  He was so talented, he led the Florida Gators to a National Title defeating Ohio St. and then met President, George W. Bush.  

Zach Wilson leads BYU in nothing and his signature win was Central Florida and is best known for banging his moms friend.

thats not true. he is better know for having a MILF mom.

• Haha 2

So much of a team's success over a grueling 17 game season falls squarely on the quality of it's bench, and in some cases the quality of a few practice squad players who get called up mid season.

In years past we've had a good starters, but literally nothing behind them. And it showed in PS games, where our starters would play very well and take the lead, only to have our bench play like crap and give the game away in the 3rd and 4th qtrs. 

But this team seems to be very deep in several departments. It will be fun seeing really good players battling it out late in the game. Some of these kids could be starting in key positions later in the season.

• Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Wayne Chrebet says hello!!!!!!

5 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I was trying to get $15 for my tickets tonight.

thanks for tanking the market.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

You don't think any of the rookies benefit from some live reps? They matter, right? 

That seems like an extreme position, lol

The rookies benefit from reps, period.  So from that perspective, the Preseason games are just another opportunity to get reps, so sure they benefit from reps anywhere they come from,  However, these reps, are no more meaningful than practice and scrimmage and yes, obviously this was an extreme silly thread because as we've seen, people put stock into these games when they are undoubtedly, meaningless garbage that provide no indication on how the season will go.  This is fact proven every single year confirmed by everyone involved so I just thought I'd make a thread to remind people and maybe bring a smile to all my friends faces.  Didnt mean to trigger people but that is impossible these days.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

So much of a team's success over a grueling 17 game season falls squarely on the quality of it's bench, and in some cases the quality of a few practice squad players who get called up mid season.

In years past we've had a good starters, but literally nothing behind them. And it showed in PS games, where our starters would play very well and take the lead, only to have our bench play like crap and give the game away in the 3rd and 4th qtrs. 

But this team seems to be very deep in several departments. It will be fun seeing really good players battling it out late in the game. Some of these kids could be starting in key positions later in the season.

Preseason games don't matter in the grand scheme of the entire season, sure. It would be stupid to evaluate preseason performances vs. regular season performances. When looking at preseason games relative to other preseason games, there are definitely insights to take away from player's performances.

Wilson's fans spent the whole offseason promising us a better Wilson. Then preseason week 1. Then 10 days of telling us all how stupid we are to put any stock into preseason because Wilson looked exactly the same as all of last year. Now, pre-empting games to double down on the ridiculous notion that preseason means nothing because they're wildly afraid of Flacco and/or White looking competent under center. So now, just to save Wilson's reputation, we have to choose to not take anything away for any of the other players playing in entire preseason games. 

I wish we'd stop being Wilson or White or Flacco fans and just be Jets fans. If we did, then we wouldn't have to force ourselves to choose ignorance. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

They've already started to, lol.

48 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Does practice matter?

47 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Depends on the scrimmage. The Jets/Falcons scrimmage wasn’t full live.

Why are you arguing this?  lol.  This is confirmed by everyone.  Literally, anyone who plays or coaches in the NFL knows what I'm sharing as common knowledge.   You've been watching the NFL for how long?  I didnt expect I had to educate someone like you on simple facts.

And clearly I'm being silly dude, yes, there is stuff that matters tonight but the overall point I was trying to make that I thought was obvious here is that whatever happens tonight, with a shadow of a doubt, provides no insight into the regular season.  Unless of course, we suffer a big injury again, knock on wood, but also why nobody plays staters anymore. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Preseason games don't matter in the grand scheme of the entire season, sure. It would be stupid to evaluate preseason performances vs. regular season performances. When looking at preseason games relative to other preseason games, there are definitely insights to take away from player's performances.

Wilson's fans spent the whole offseason promising us a better Wilson. Then preseason week 1. Then 10 days of telling us all how stupid we are to put any stock into preseason because Wilson looked exactly the same as all of last year. Now, pre-empting games to double down on the ridiculous notion that preseason means nothing because they're wildly afraid of Flacco and/or White looking competent under center. So now, just to save Wilson's reputation, we have to choose to not take anything away for any of the other players playing in entire preseason games. 

I wish we'd stop being Wilson or White or Flacco fans and just be Jets fans. If we did, then we wouldn't have to force ourselves to choose ignorance. 

lmfao 

omg 

I dont even

i ah

uigh