Friendly Reminder from your favorite JetNation poster; NFL Preseason "games" are meaningless garbage!

11 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Why are you arguing this?  lol.  This is confirmed by everyone.  Literally, anyone who plays or coaches in the NFL knows what I'm sharing as common knowledge.   You've been watching the NFL for how long?  I didnt expect I had to educate someone like you on simple facts.

And clearly I'm being silly dude, yes, there is stuff that matters tonight but the overall point I was trying to make that I thought was obvious here is that whatever happens tonight, with a shadow of a doubt, provides no insight into the regular season.  Unless of course, we suffer a big injury again, knock on wood, but also why nobody plays staters anymore. 

Because we’re talking about reps where tackling to the ground happens vs live reps in shells that’s two hand touch. 

11 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I cant believe how literal all of your are taking this thread.  I guess I shouldnt be surprised knowing the lot of you but holy sh*t.  Everyone relax, take a deep breath, dont allow a silly little thread based mostly on humor ruin day.  Instead, understand, all I'm saying is, cool your Jets (pun intended) either way.  If the Jets score 127 points the 1st quarter, chill a bit, they are probably not the best offense of all time and will continue on that pace.  If the score is Falcons 41 Jets -127.  It's ok, we cant score negative points in the regular season.  That only happens in preseason games.

I have noticed a lot of folks on here have been real salty since yesterday.

maybe something in the stars over the weekend.

as far as meaningless, you tanked my tickets but that is ok, I am going jets money line tonight to recoup.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Because we’re talking about reps where tackling to the ground happens vs live reps in shells that’s two hand touch. 

Ok well, in that case, despite what all coaches and players say, if this is indeed very important then I personally cant wait to hear your analysis of what it means when Lafyette Pitts tackles Calvin Jackson to the ground after catching a pass from Chris Strevler. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Ok well, in that case, despite what all coaches and players say, if this is indeed very important then I personally cant wait to hear your analysis of what it means when Lafyette Pitts tackles Calvin Jackson to the ground after catching a pass from Chris Strevler. 

Not much. I’m talking about the guys making the team though who are young. 

Preseason games are meaningless.  There are so many examples of both teams and players performing well and stinking up the regular season and playing poorly and excelling in the regular season.  I would not be surprised if preseason games completely  disappear in 5-10 years.  The only reason they exist now is financial. The owners rake in regular season ticket revenue for games nobody attends. 

I had season tickets for 42 years and I attended one preseason game in that entire period - the first preseason game in MetLife Stadium in 2010 - just to see what the stadium was like.  The preseason games are boring and really involve players fighting for the last 5-10 spots.  They get high ratings because people love football and this time of year, the only competition is from baseball, which is exciting as watching grass grow in a drought.

If preseason games were important, the starters would play.  In 12 quarters of preseason football, the starters will play a total of about 2-3 quarters. In fact, when you see evaluations of who is in a key role on an NFL team, the analysis involves whether that player did not play.  When a player does not play in a preseason game, it indicates he is a starter or 2nd string.  What does that tell you?

53 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I cant believe how literal all of your are taking this thread.  I guess I shouldnt be surprised knowing the lot of you but holy sh*t.  Everyone relax, take a deep breath, dont allow a silly little thread based mostly on humor ruin day.  Instead, understand, all I'm saying is, cool your Jets (pun intended) either way.  If the Jets score 127 points the 1st quarter, chill a bit, they are probably not the best offense of all time and will continue on that pace.  If the score is Falcons 41 Jets -127.  It's ok, we cant score negative points in the regular season.  That only happens in preseason games.

You should start another thread titled:  "Friendly Reminder from your favorite JetNation poster; NFL Preseason "games" threads are meaningless garbage!"

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Yeah, no, the scrimmages are 100x more important, literally every player and coach will verify this...it's nothing new.

I'm actually curious as to the reasoning for this. I'd assume that a game situation closer to real action with live tackling and a live pass rush would be more beneficial for the QB, and for tackling fundamentals, no?

I get how that schemes are usually uber vanilla, though, and they can't work on the playbook that much, but does that alone make scrimmages vastly more important?

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Preseason games are meaningless.

If you're using them to gauge how your team will play or their W/L record in the regular season, yes, you're doing it wrong.

If you're looking at it like glorified practice, and your starters getting a few good reps, and the bottom of your roster sorting itself out, then you're doing it right.

This was true when we had 4 games, more so now with only 3.  Save the real players for Week #1.

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

It means Mims is getting cut.

Duh

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

I'm actually curious as to the reasoning for this. I'd assume that a game situation closer to real action with live tackling and a live pass rush would be more beneficial for the QB, and for tackling fundamentals, no?

I get how that schemes are usually uber vanilla, though, and they can't work on the playbook that much, but does that alone make scrimmages vastly more important?

To answer your last question first, yes, that is a HUGE part of it hence last year Wilson looking like a seasoned vet. vs not belonging on the field.  The other thing is starters vs. starters for a much much more significant amount of time/reps.  For example, the amount of times Moore went up vs. Terrell in an actual formation he'd see in a game vs. what he'd see tonight is drastically different.  Terrell might not jam him all night, he might have had a day of it in scrimmage, etc.  That said, they're allowed to make contact at the LOS, they're just not allowed to bring each other to the ground and the logic behind that whether you agree or not is, if they're in the NFL, they should know how to tackle and they certainly arent figuring it out in a game.  Ironically, tackling always seems a little sloppy the first few weeks for every team, this is dating back to when camps were more physical and they had more preseason game where starters play basically because you cant simulate the regular season.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

To answer your last question first, yes, that is a HUGE part of it hence last year Wilson looking like a seasoned vet. vs not belonging on the field.  The other thing is starters vs. starters for a much much more significant amount of time/reps.  For example, the amount of times Moore went up vs. Terrell in an actual formation he'd see in a game vs. what he'd see tonight is drastically different.  Terrell might not jam him all night, he might have had a day of it in scrimmage, etc.  That said, they're allowed to make contact at the LOS, they're just not allowed to bring each other to the ground and the logic behind that whether you agree or not is, if they're in the NFL, they should know how to tackle and they certainly arent figuring it out in a game.  Ironically, tackling always seems a little sloppy the first few weeks for every team, this is dating back to when camps were more physical and they had more preseason game where starters play basically because you cant simulate the regular season.  

Those are good points.

You would think the players would already know how to tackle, yes, but as we've seen from the Jets, that's not always the case, lol. We've seen them struggle for awhile now. Maybe it's more common than that, though. I don't watch much football besides the Jets. I'd just think any opportunity to get in there and tackle, whether it be to work on the fundamentals, or just the mental rep of getting in there and getting used to the physicality, would be beneficial.

I can definitely see positives to both scrimmage vs preseason (the increased reps for starters and more diverse playbook of scrimmage vs the relative intensity of a pre-season game). I'd actually be curious to see quotes from coaches or players on their preference (though, not enough to Google it myself, because the NFL is a dying sport to me).

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JiFapono said:

This "game" will provide you with zero indications of what to expect in the regular season and will be the least entertaining Football "game" you've ever watched. 

Most times you'd be right about preseason, but I believe with all the young talent playing for a spot it'll be a good watch for profiling the young talent that could develop which is the bulk of the team. Obviously a grain of salt is required with the analysis, and the end score isn't the focus.

• Upvote 1