Can't put Tanzel Smart on the PS again

AFJF

Deserved to make the roster last season.  Had another play last night where he almost tackled the RB before the QB completed the handoff.  His get off is insane.  I think he can be a contributor and somebody will snap him up if he goes to the PS again.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Deserved to make the roster last season.  Had another play last night where he almost tackled the RB before the QB completed the handoff.  His get off is insane.  I think he can be a contributor and somebody will snap him up if he goes to the PS again.

Nathan Shepherd. 

Saleh keeps stating “no one “Grinds” harder at practice, but game-time is the thing that counts and he’s been a game-time bust for 3 seasons. Time for new blood. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Would keep him over Shepard but not Marshall. Who else goes. Thomas?

That would pretty much complete the youth movement if we cut Shepard and Thomas and kept the young guys.  Coaches like some older vets in the room but in this case, I think I'd go with the kids and let the coaches coach them.

56 minutes ago, nycdan said:

That would pretty much complete the youth movement if we cut Shepard and Thomas and kept the young guys.  Coaches like some older vets in the room but in this case, I think I'd go with the kids and let the coaches coach them.

same with RB room  - I would cut Coleman, Johnson, Bawden and go Hall, MC, BAM, and Perine

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

So who are you cutting from the final roster to keep him?

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

So who are you cutting from the final roster to keep him?

That's the problem.  DT is weirdly stacked with similar level talent.  

QW and JFM are the starters.  Then you have Thomas, Rankins, Marshall, Shepard and Smart.  You probably keep 2 of those, maaaaybe 3 if you view JFM as a swing DL but then you are making a harder cut at DE so I doubt it.

I think most of us would not mourn the loss of Shepard, Thomas or Rankins, which would leave Marshall and Smart as the survivors, but I doubt the Jets will cut all three of the older vets.  And if it's Marshall vs. Smart where one makes the roster and one hits the PS, which way do you go?  Marshall beasted last night for all the league to see.  If he keeps that up, he won't last a minute on the PS.

• Upvote 1

There are going to be tough cuts this year for sure. Not saying Smart is one of them, but there’s a 41-70 range of the roster (could be off, but it’s somewhere around there) that’s pretty compressed with similar guys.

Would like to see Douglas flip some depth he’s going to cut (corner, DL) for OL depth, but I’m not sure it happens. There are definitely moveable pieces though.

Also wonder what guys just get put on PUP or IR for roster room.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I would have thought Perine was a dead man walking two weeks ago.  Now I'm not so sure.

I still think Ty Johnson is the better back over Perine and Coleman. He brings a dimension the other 2 don't have....speed. Hall and BAM can be our "power" backs if we keep 4. Carter and Johnson our speed guys.

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

QW and JFM are the starters.  Then you have Thomas, Rankins, Marshall, Shepard and Smart.  You probably keep 2 of those, maaaaybe 3 if you view JFM as a swing DL but then you are making a harder cut at DE so I doubt it.

I think most of us would not mourn the loss of Shepard, Thomas or Rankins, which would leave Marshall and Smart as the survivors, but I doubt the Jets will cut all three of the older vets.  And if it's Marshall vs. Smart where one makes the roster and one hits the PS, which way do you go?  Marshall beasted last night for all the league to see.  If he keeps that up, he won't last a minute on the PS.

Can't keep um' all, and none of them are stars tbqh, so you stick with the ones with:

1. the highest long term upside

2. the most likely to maintain quality play and

3. the cheapest.

This is a good problem to have.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

I'd like to see this too, but ultimately I think Tevin Coleman makes the team with BAM going to the practice squad

A lot  of times we think that Player X will never get to the PS, then we cut him and he makes it to the PS. Maybe that is the case here but I think BAM has shown enough to make the team and I am not so sure he makes it to the PS. He has return ability and specials value has size and shown power and elusiveness. and brings something different to our RB room. Coleman and Perrine seem pretty interchangeable to me. If we keep 4 RBs I think he makes it.

We actually have a few spots where the younger guy is competing against veterans and draft picks and makes a good case for getting to the roster but we are so young everywhere that it will be interesting to see how JD and Saleh approach the cuts. 

At this point I would probably cut Hardee, Ashtyn, Solomon Thomas, Shepherd and Rankins and keep BAM Cager Smart Anae and Marshall.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Can't keep um' all, and none of them are stars tbqh, so you stick with the ones with:

1. the highest long term upside

2. the most likely to maintain quality play and

3. the cheapest.

This is a good problem to have.

Agree but will they? If Bowles were here he would keep all the veterans. I am not sure where Saleh falls yet but from my experience many HC especially defensive guys prefer the declining known quantity than the younger guys that need coaching and will make more mistakes.

23 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Just my opinion but I think Johnson is better than Perine and would rather keep him. Hall, MC, BAM and Johnson.

yeah - just thinking Perine is under contract next year too and he continues to develop he will eventually move on and you may be able to play the comp pick with him.  Johnson most likely a gonner next season no matter what so not sure you get the same kind of comp pick value in that, I actually dont know.

27 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Agree but will they? If Bowles were here he would keep all the veterans. I am not sure where Saleh falls yet but from my experience many HC especially defensive guys prefer the declining known quantity than the younger guys that need coaching and will make more mistakes.

/shrug, it's their call.  No idea what they'll do. 

I presume they know more about these guys, and more incremental variance between them, that will determine who they keep.

Hell, maybe they just like one guys attitude more than another.  When players are somewhat evenly graded, that can make a difference.

But I have no idea.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

yeah - just thinking Perine is under contract next year too and he continues to develop he will eventually move on and you may be able to play the comp pick with him.  Johnson most likely a gonner next season no matter what so not sure you get the same kind of comp pick value in that, I actually dont know.

This makes little sense.   Perrine isnt going to be anything much more than depth unless every other RB is injured.  So he will have no stats and consequently no value as a free agent as far as comp picks.  If he doesnt fit into their plans and they can get anything for him, they should.  The problem is they cant get anything as he hasnt done much since being drafted.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bowles Movement said:

This makes little sense.   Perrine isnt going to be anything much more than depth unless every other RB is injured.  So he will have no stats and consequently no value as a free agent as far as comp picks.  If he doesnt fit into their plans and they can get anything for him, they should.  The problem is they cant get anything as he hasnt done much since being drafted.

who says he will have no stats?  it is a 17 game season where teams use many backs due to injuries or rest.  He will have plenty opp to get something on tape.

Just now, Bowles Movement said:

Anything can happen but Id be prepared to wager that it doesnt.   Are you?

Yeah I would.  I think the 3rd RB is uber important to this team.  How many games did MC miss? and besides many teams regularly rotate 3 backs.  I think they keep BAM he will most likely be for STs in 1st year unless he becomes #3 which definitely possible.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

There seems to be some man love for Shepard coming from this CS.  Why?  I don't know.  But I bet he sticks around.  Rankins is a cap savings so I think he could be dead man walking...

47 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Yeah I would.  I think the 3rd RB is uber important to this team.  How many games did MC miss? and besides many teams regularly rotate 3 backs.  I think they keep BAM he will most likely be for STs in 1st year unless he becomes #3 which definitely possible.

I dont want to take your money unless you want to give it to me!

Lets see if Perrine even makes the team.In my mind its Carter Hall Bam and prob Coleman with Perrine a late cut.    Who do you think they keep?

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Marshall will not only make the team, but he will also be an integral part of the rotation. I could see him as DT3.

35 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I dont want to take your money unless you want to give it to me!

Lets see if Perrine even makes the team.In my mind its Carter Hall Bam and prob Coleman with Perrine a late cut.    Who do you think they keep?

I think they will keep Coleman, but prefer they put their money where their mouth is and develop young players

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

This is what this franchise has done to us. This is what we look at to measure the talent we have in house. This. 

Angry Over It GIF by GritTV

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, pointman said:

This is what this franchise has done to us. This is what we look at to measure the talent we have in house. This. 

Angry Over It GIF by GritTV

I think better way to represent what he was saying was - he almost tackled the QB before he had a chance to hand it off.  Just showing how quickly he got into the backfield.  It was a pretty impressive play

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

If you think that's an impressive get-off then you should see @T0mShane when he 'accidently' runs into Mike White in a chik-fil-a

jbmotdsgh2gdjug38ldu

• Haha 1