Sean Payton

52 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

You do know it's possible Salah is not the guy.  It's actually possible.  That's why people are commenting.  They're not sold.  I'm rooting like hell for him.  I loved the hire.  But I'm starting to get "how long is too long before we start talking about the elephant in the room" vibes.

What are you basing this on for 2022?  The first quarter  of two preseason games when the starters were on the bench watching?  Please.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

You do know it's possible Salah is not the guy.  It's actually possible.  That's why people are commenting.  They're not sold.  I'm rooting like hell for him.  I loved the hire.  But I'm starting to get "how long is too long before we start talking about the elephant in the room" vibes.

You are mistaking me for someone I'm not. I don't pretend to know if Saleh is or isn't the guy. His HC acumen so far has been concern. Zachs play and "development" are a concern. The scales lean the wrong way on both but the books not written yet. 

I'm just not gonna put my  b**** in a blender becuase this team look like it's looked for the last decade plus....  bad. Unlike many of us the ****show this org puts on every sunday doesn't ruin my whole day. 

We are the football equivalent of murphys law until proven otherwise. I've learned to enjoy the ride and laugh as the wheels continually fall off year after year. 

Unlike many of our brethren I'm not into the hopium or fooling myself into thinking this time we got it right.... or Sean Payton is gonna come save us. No one is gonna save us everything is on fire and I'm just enjoying the flames. You want to go find a bucket to attempt to douse the flames that's your prerogative and it's assuredly an exercise in futility. But whatever  fly a plane or something.

That being said looking at it objectively continuity is probably better than acting like a banana republic and executing every regime at the first sign of trouble. That doesn't mean keep a s***ty QB, HC, or GM. I'd rather an exec who knows when to cut bait than one who doubles down on mistakes. If Zach sucks this year and we're in position to grab a top QB I hope JD has the b**** to do it. If not it will speak volumes to his management style.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Payton is very close to Parcells. Parcells would tell him not to work for woody under any circumstances 

Meh.  Payton is his own man, a champion, and has an ego just a big as Tuna's.

He'll do what he wants regardless of what his boss from 20 years ago suggests. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

The Jets are in disarray.  At the conclusion of the season, they need to clean house again.  I know you guys are tired of starting over every 2-3 years but that’s where you are

The team needs people at the top that know how to fix this.  By fix I mean 1.  Finding a QB and 2.  Building a roster and depth.  3.  Competent coaching.

Go hire Payton and let Payton pick the GM.  Same setup as KC.  

Payton knows QB talent, he knows football.  He put together teams that were consistently competitive and always built with good depths through good drafts.

in addition, having a coach who is also the de facto O coordinator ensures continuity with the QB and offense whereas having a D minded coach that ends up with good offense, having the o coordinator poached.

Paton can fix your mess.  Write the check or the Cowboys will.

You obviously missed the fake that the Jets are now 2-0 in the ever important preseason.

• Haha 2

Not to mix in performance with perception.

Coach A

Has a career 152-89 record in the regular season, or a .631 winning percentage

Has made the playoffs a total of nine seasons, including four consecutive division titles

Has a 9-8 record in the postseason, or a .529 winning percentage

Reached the NFC Championship game twice in his career, winning once

Won a Super Bowl

Has a reputation as a top offensive mind in the NFL

Coached with a future Hall of Fame quarterback for the vast majority of his head coaching career

Aside from his Super Bowl season, he has never won multiple playoff games in a single season

Has had six assistants go on to become a head coach in either college or the NFL, currently with a combined record of 143-196-1.

Coach B

Has a career 143-92-2 record in the regular season, or a .608 winning percentage

Has made the playoffs a total of ten seasons, including four consecutive division titles

Has a 10-9 record in the postseason, or a .526 winning percentage

Reached the NFC Championship game four times in his career, winning once

Won a Super Bowl

Has a reputation as a top offensive mind in the NFL

Coached with a future Hall of Fame quarterback for the vast majority of his head coaching career

Aside from his Super Bowl season, he has only one other season with multiple playoff wins

Has had four assistants go on to become a head coach in either college or the NFL, currently with a combined record of 61-59.

Coach A is Payton

Coach B is McCarthy

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm a LaFleur fan too.  Saleh and Ullbrich haven't shown anything so far though.  And even if they did, it's highly unlikely either will be Sean Payton's caliber.  I agree that we need to keep JD (at least that's my current thinking).  

Remember when we hated LaFleur and liked everybody else?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

The Jets are in disarray.  At the conclusion of the season, they need to clean house again.  I know you guys are tired of starting over every 2-3 years but that’s where you are

The team needs people at the top that know how to fix this.  By fix I mean 1.  Finding a QB and 2.  Building a roster and depth.  3.  Competent coaching.

Go hire Payton and let Payton pick the GM.  Same setup as KC.  

Payton knows QB talent, he knows football.  He put together teams that were consistently competitive and always built with good depths through good drafts.

in addition, having a coach who is also the de facto O coordinator ensures continuity with the QB and offense whereas having a D minded coach that ends up with good offense, having the o coordinator poached.

Paton can fix your mess.  Write the check or the Cowboys will.

This ******* guy

13 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh have much to prove this season.  The Jets need to show some results.  If they are picking in the top 5 or even top 10 again, then the rebuild has failed.

As far as I'm concerned JD has proven himself.  Even taking into consideration the failure of his COVID draft, and Zack underwhelming, IMHO he's done much more good by FAR.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

As far as I'm concerned JD has proven himself.  Even taking into consideration the failure of his COVID draft, and Zack underwhelming, IMHO he's done much more good by FAR.  

I'm not sure how you can come to that conclusion.

Is there promise and potential with some of his picks and free agent acquisitions?  Yes, but many of them are still completely unproven on the field.  It's all going to come down to whether these young players become a productive core of the team in the years to come or they straight up bust.  We can project that Zach, AVT, Moore, Carter, Sauce, Wilson, Johnson, Breece, Lawson, Tomlinson, Uzomah, Conklin, Reed, etc. are going to become great players for the Jets, but until they actually do so on the field against real competition, that's all it is, a projection.

Like I said, this is a big year for Joe Douglas.  The Jets team he has personally constructed needs to start producing results.  Another top 5 pick would be a disaster and show that the rebuild is failing.  The only thing Joe Douglas has proven thus far is that he can tear down a team and continue to accumulate top 5 picks.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I'm not sure how you can come to that conclusion.

Is there promise and potential with some of his picks and free agent acquisitions?  Yes, but many of them are still completely unproven on the field.  It's all going to come down to whether these young players become a productive core of the team in the years to come or they straight up bust.  We can project that Zach, AVT, Moore, Carter, Sauce, Wilson, Johnson, Breece, Lawson, Tomlinson, Uzomah, Conklin, Reed, etc. are going to become great players for the Jets, but until they actually do so on the field against real competition, that's all it is, a projection.

Like I said, this is a big year for Joe Douglas.  The Jets team he has personally constructed needs to start producing results.  Another top 5 pick would be a disaster and show that the rebuild is failing.  The only thing Joe Douglas has proven thus far is that he can tear down a team and continue to accumulate top 5 picks.

I'll take his roster over any we've had in the past decade.  If you can't see that, well, that's that.  IMHO we have the roster but do we have to CS to use it properly?  That is the only question.    

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Geez, it proves he's the best we've had in a decade.  I'll take it!

All it proves is that you like the potential of the 2022 roster more than the results of any other roster in the past decade.

Until that potential turns into actual results, Joe Douglas remains unproven.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

I’m gonna let the season play out but if I get off the Saleh train at any point this year I’m all in on getting Sean Payton in here 

Which is it, let the season play out or you might jump off the train this season?

18 hours ago, Hex said:

Remember when we hated LaFleur and liked everybody else?

Was that the consensus?  IIRC, I've always felt the jury was out on them all. 

My initial opinion of Ullrbich is not good. But then again, he wasn't given much to work with last year. 

I think I was optimistic about Saleh when he was hired but, right now, I'm not sure what we have with him.  Though, again, he wasn't given much to work with last year.

As for LaFleur, he definitely started to grow on me in the 2nd half of last season.  But he's got more weapinz to work with this year so let's see what the offense can do.

The bottom line for me is that the jury is still out on all 3 guys. At least with the (seemingly) good draft and FA, I think we'll learn a lot about all of them this year. 

• Upvote 1

Payton can have his pick of teams. If Saleh gets replaced after the season, it's most likely because Wilson didn't look good and the team had another lousy season. Very little reason why Payton would want to put his reputation on the line to inherit a losing team without a franchise QB. He could just as easily slide into a more competitive team. The Cowboys will probably make a move for him. If McDaniels flounders in Vegas, the Raiders could be a destination.

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I'll take his roster over any we've had in the past decade.  If you can't see that, well, that's that.  IMHO we have the roster but do we have to CS to use it properly?  That is the only question.    

Agreed despite the last decade producing one winning season and no playoff appearances this one is clearly the best by a mile.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

Payton can have his pick of teams. If Saleh gets replaced after the season, it's most likely because Wilson didn't look good and the team had another lousy season. Very little reason why Payton would want to put his reputation on the line to inherit a losing team without a franchise QB. He could just as easily slide into a more competitive team. The Cowboys will probably make a move for him. If McDaniels flounders in Vegas, the Raiders could be a destination.

If were in position to pick a QB he might love the opportunity.

23 hours ago, Larz said:

Payton is very close to Parcells. Parcells would tell him not to work for woody under any circumstances 

When you listen to Charlie Weis on Sirius NFL, he speaks of the Jets as if they were Nazi Germany.  Parcells, Belichick, Weis and others just hate them and the Johnsons.  I wonder what is their specific gripe?