Who are the top 5 QB's of all-time?

Who is the # 1 QB of all-time?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the # 1 QB of all-time?

• Tom Brady, NE/TB (2000-present)
    • Peyton Manning, IND/DEN (1998-2015)
    • Aaron Rodgers, GB (2005-present)
    • Drew Brees, SD/NO (2001-2020)
    • Brett Favre, ATL/GB/NYJ/MIN (1991-2010)
    • Steve Young, TB/SF (1985-1999)
    • Philip Rivers, SD/LAC/IND (2004-2020)
    • Fran Tarkenton, MIN/NYG (1961-1978)
    • Dan Marino, MIA (1983-1999)
    • Dan Fouts, SD (1973-1987)
    • Patrick Mahomes, KC (2017-present)
    • Matt Ryan, ATL/IND (2008-present)
    • John Elway, DEN (1983-1998)
    • Russell Wilson, SEA/DEN (2012-present)
    • Kurt Warner, STL/NYG/AZ (1998-2009)
    • Ken Anderson, CIN (1971-1986)
    • Joe Montana, SF/KC (1979-1994)
    • Johnny Unitas, BAL/SD (1956-1973)
    • Warren Moon, HOU/MIN/SEA/KC (1984-2000)
    • OTHER (Specify in thread)
  2. 2. Who is the # 2 QB of all-time?

3. 3. Who is the # 3 QB of all-time?

4. 4. Who is the # 4 QB of all-time?

5. 5. Who is the # 5 QB of all-time?

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I don't disagree... BUT I spent 3-4 minutes looking for a list where he is NOT number 1 and didn't find one. I would add that the NFL had meetings saying in any situation, Brees, Brady, Manning get the call. THEY were the face of the NFL for years.

Basically ALL sports writers/experts have him at 1.  That was my point.  Only in a JET/AFC East  market will he be overly disrespected

I went Montana over Brady but it is the slightest of margins.

I think Brady played on overall more talented teams and certainly had that edge over a long period of time

Montana had great offensive weapons and arguably the greatest offensive mind in Walsh.

I don't think Brady had those type of weapons and to his credit elevated those guys. That alone could be an argument for Brady.

Now that I have stated my reasons, I might have convinced myself it is Brady.

Either way I am fortunate that I have seen both play thru their careers although I have left Jet games too many times cursing Brady.

Someone earlier mentioned Kelly. So glad to hear that he has overcome his health batlles but I cursed him as well - especially if he got the ball with 2 minutes or less before the end of the haff against the Jets - automatic 7 everytime.

• Upvote 1

Again, I can only go by 1990 onward. 

1. Brady - It pains me to write this, but it is what it is. The Tampa Bay SB did it for me. 

2. Montana. 

3. Peyton - Best regular season QB of all time. 

4. Elway - Most physically talented QB I've seen. 

5. Rodgers

• Upvote 1

I did not vote for Elway or Manning.

To me these two are the greatest choke artists of all time.

They both won a couple SBs at the end of their careers and I understand that counts.

However, they are also two of the biggest AHs and greedy MFs of all time.

I wonder how many more Championships they could have won if they were, you know, team players.

4 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

I did not vote for Elway or Manning.

To me these two are the greatest choke artists of all time.

They both won a couple SBs at the end of their careers and I understand that counts.

However, they are also two of the biggest AHs and greedy MFs of all time.

I wonder how many more Championships they could have won if they were, you know, team players.

I wonder how many of us would volunteer a pay cut to improve our employers’ balance sheets.

Players should get what they can get. It’s the GM’s job to allocate resources in the optimal way, not the players’.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Hit me up when you do the top 5 inactive players of all time. 

How about the worst 5 QB's of all time or the 5 best back up Qb's or the 5 most overrated Qb's or the 5 best running Qb's or the 5 biggest Qb busts of all time. Or the 5 worst threads started on JetNation.com ?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JoeFan said:

Not including post-season games is particularly egregious when ranking quarterbacks.  In fact, it is a joke.  Without question, the 2 best qbs were Brady and Montana.
Some other observations: Manning was a choker.  Before you jump down my throat, check out his lifetime post-season record.  Then check how many of those losses were at *home!* Disgraceful. Hell, even the JETS beat Manning in the playoffs.  I bet that many of you were at that game, as I was.  It was 41-0, and the Colts were favored in it!  Manning was throwing dirt balls the whole game.  He lost to PENNINGTON!

Other notes: Favre was the most overrated qb in history.  There were numerous playoff games which he lost when an interception was directly responsible.  
Johnny Unitas should be #3 on the list.  He was by far the best of his era, and was Mr. Clutch.  I was a Giants fan in those days, so I hated his freakin’ guts.

Dan Marino belongs in the top 5.  I know he never won a super bowl, but context is important.  Poor running game and defense.  He belongs just behind Rogers, because Marino couldn’t escape the rush as well as Rogers does.  They were/ are the best passers ever.

Including Matt Ryan on this list is an insult.

Bert Jones was better than half of the QBs on this list.

To the OP.  Thank you for providing these lists.  However, if you ever do this again, please use a different reference source.   This one sucks big time.km

Take a closer look at Brady's playoff record. Out of 47 playoff games, he only had to play 10 on the road.  NFL home teams win about 70% of the time at home. He pretty much played his entire postseason career at home in Foxboro. He not only benefitted from cheating multiple times, but from playing in the worst division in football for 20 years, guaranteeing the Pats home playoff games every season. Meanwhile, he lost home playoff games to the Ravens (twice - with Flacco) and to the Jets (with Sanchez). He never beat Manning on the road in his career - losing once in Indy and twice in Denver.  He was handed multiple Super Bowl wins by inept opponents including Pete Carroll's brain fart on the goal line and Atlanta's epic choke job.  He lost to an average Giants team with  Eli Manning - twice - while QB for juggernaut teams.  He barely beat Goff in a SB and was outplayed by Nick Foles (and Blake Bottles).  Brady is a very good QB, but he is not top 5 in my book.  I put Montana, Unitas, Graham, Manning, Young, and others ahead of him. Brady never beat a Manning team on the road in the playoffs.  And if Brady and Manning switched teams, how many SB rings would Manning have?  

It's a team game. This is not tennis or golf. Brady didn't "win" all of those SBs. The Pats (and Bucs) did.  He benefitted from a great defense in the first 3. Then he went 9 years without winning a SB despite playing on  the better team almost every year from 2005-2013.  2014 was the formation fiasco vs Baltimore and the Seattle brain fart.  2015 was the Atlanta choke. 2017 was the fumble return by Jacksonville that wasn't. 2108 was the Dee Ford finger. 2020 was the Mike Pettine before the half malpractice and playing against a decimated KC OL in the SB.  I could go on and on. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Brady sucks. He’s not even on my top 10 list. 
Montana

Manning

Farve

Staubauch

Unitas

Rodgers

Elway

Star

Brees

Marino

Young

You have to take into account the era the QB played in and the teams he was on. For  instance, Marino played on teams with crappy defenses his entire career. Yet he broke records that were video game like in the 80’s when it was a different brand of football. Brady played on numerous #1 defensive teams which were huge overall factors in their SB victories. Another guy not even on this list is Sonny Jurgenson who was lights out one of the greatest talents at the QB position. Yea winning the SB is huge but the QB is often overrated as the sole reason a team wins a SB. FU Brady

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I agree.  I never considered Tarkenton to be an all-time great.  He was a compiler.  

The rushing numbers probably gave him a boost.  AV really liked him in that '67-'70 period with the Giants.  PFR gave him AV scores of 19, 16, 14 and 17 in those seasons.  Then he had another "peak" with the Vikings from '74-76 (15, 16, 13).  

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't think the "eye test" has much to do with the AV score.

It isn't just the "eye test."  The guy simply wasn't as good.  Longevity is nice, but longevity is not the point of football.  Give me Earl and Lamonica and I will ******* crush whatever sh*tty team you line up there with Tarkenton and Curtis Martin or Gore. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It isn't just the "eye test."  The guy simply wasn't as good.  Longevity is nice, but longevity is not the point of football.  Give me Earl and Lamonica and I will ******* crush whatever sh*tty team you line up there with Tarkenton and Curtis Martin or Gore. 

That's why I didn't just rely on longevity, I relied on "average peak score" (average AV of top 5 seasons or top healthy seasons if 5 isn't possible).  And AV liked his peak, too.  

Campbell's peak score wasn't very high (his best season scored a 15), which was surprising.  It wasn't just his lack of longevity that hurt him.

Seems to me AV likes versatility so a guy like Tiki Barber scored well at his peak whereas Campbell was hurt in the pass-catching department.

You really need to segment this out into the different eras.  I think Brady and Manning in the 60s and 70s wouldn't have lasted more than a couple seasons without the rules that protected both themselves and their WRs.

Imagine Brady getting the Turkey Jones treatment ( I do and it's amazing)

2 minutes ago, peebag said:

You really need to segment this out into the different eras.  I think Brady and Manning in the 60s and 70s wouldn't have lasted more than a couple seasons without the rules that protected both themselves and their WRs.

Imagine Brady getting the Turkey Jones treatment ( I do and it's amazing)

Comparing only within an era is boring and leads to fairly predictable results.  Plus would have taken a lot longer.  

But if I ever do this again (unlikely) I'll take it into consideration.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's why I didn't just rely on longevity, I relied on "average peak score" (average AV of top 5 seasons).  And AV liked his peak, too.  

Campbell's peak score wasn't very high (his best season scored a 15), which was surprising.  It wasn't just his lack of longevity that hurt him.

It is the era.  Campbell was probably dinged for the lack of receiving.  He was also on a  fairly sh*tty O that basically just handed him the ball and asked him to take care of things.  110 rushing ypg for 3 years?  If there is some data sh*tting on that it is bad data.

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Looks like the top 5 is crystallizing nicely, with little movement expected with future votes:

1. Brady
  2. Montana
  3. Manning
  4. Marino
  5. Rodgers

Unitas falls just a bit short.

I feel guilty. I screwed up and accidentally voted Manning twice instead of including Unitas. 

Unitas should be in the top 5!

On 8/24/2022 at 11:11 AM, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Speaking of pure passers, rated by many as the best of all time. Threw a beautiful ball.

There’s an excerpt on NFL films where Jurgenson throws a ball BEHIND his back for about 30 yards. An absolute bullet - astonishing. 

i cant give brady the #1 spot. main reason is that he was caught cheating more than once and he plays in an era where passing stats are inflated. you cant judge on superbowl wins as the be all end all because it takes a team for that to happen. joe montana is number 1 to me. i give brady number 2. after that i think you can put manning, marinoa nd elway in any order you want. and also make a case for other guys. i understand people who put brady number 1, i just think montana was better, and if i am putting a team together he is the guy i choose to lead my team