Jump to content

*** Confirmed Jets Roster Moves - 8/30 Cutdown Day *** 13 PS Signings


nycdan
 Share

Recommended Posts

Interesting.  Zach Wilson and Makhi Becton are not on that list. 

Even thought I paid for groceries that have gone bad, I don't keep them in the closet thinking that I'm going to get my money's worth. 

Note to JD.  Pride is one of those seven deadly

  • Thumb Down 7
  • Sympathy 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Interesting.  Zach Wilson and Makhi Becton are not on that list. 

Even thought I paid for groceries that have gone bad, I don't keep them in the closet thinking that I'm going to get my money's worth. 

Note to JD.  Pride is one of those seven deadly

Being JD 1st rd picks insulates these lackluster players. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Being JD 1st rd picks insulates these lackluster players. 

I was fairly convinced that Becton would be a wasted pick even before he was drafted by the Jets,  but I did try my best to be positive about it after the pick was made.  I wasn't sure of it last season, but I'm on board now saying that Zach Wilson will not work out well as a professional QB. 

I also think that JD hit a home run with this most recent draft and off season.  

For 2022, I see Flacco ultimately winding up as the starter by mid season or so.  Not due to injury but to poor performance of Wilson and a continuation of the same mistakes.  I see him doing a good job of it and frustrations from earlier in the season due to bad QB play will start to melt away. 

After Wilson takes a seat, I see the Jets showing that they are a good team built for sustained success, but missing the QB of the future. 

The 2023 draft will be about shopping again for a QB.  Fortunately, there will be a lot of QB's on the shelf for the buying in that draft.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I was fairly convinced that Becton would be a wasted pick even before he was drafted by the Jets, 

Generally that's how I initially feel about every draft pick drafted by the Jets. I got this way from experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/24/2022 at 5:25 PM, mrcoops said:

Steelers claimed Riley off waivers:

The means he is on their 53man roster. Good luck for him. You made a team. and the steeler to boot. Now just let up on us when we play u in a few weeks. We got u on another roster - you own us!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2022 at 4:43 PM, Sarge4Tide said:

They kept UDFA S Tony Adams over Riley, which is odd

They also kept C/G Chris Glaser over Williams and Benenoch

It could be Glaser (C/G), Piersbacher (G.C) and Hermanns (T) on the Practice Squad 

UDFA LB DQ Thomas sticks for now - they must think he has some potential 

Special teams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Surprised they cut Coleman but kept the other scrubs 

Would have kept Coleman over Johnson.  With 3 young guys like Carter, Hall, Knight it would have been nice to keep a consistent, veteran voice around who can still play the game and knows the system better than all of them.  Coleman was the perfect RB4 in my opinion.  The discussion should have been around Knight vs. TJ and I would have kept Knight.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Would have kept Coleman over Johnson.  With 3 young guys like Carter, Hall, Knight it would have been nice to keep a consistent, veteran voice around who can still play the game and knows the system better than all of them.  Coleman was the perfect RB4 in my opinion.  The discussion should have been around Knight vs. TJ and I would have kept Knight.

But the question is do we even need at RB4? also the veteran leadership thing is overrated. We need a veteran in the RB room? what for? RB need to hit holes, its one of the positions that a rookie can come in and contribute. I really hope we do not carry more than 3 rbs. I do not want ty johnson, i guess knight as rb 3 is ok, but should be just a practice squad guys, we should have 2 rbs on the active roster in my humble opinion, but what the hell do i know im just a jets fan.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't understand the McDermott re-signing when they did it in March, and I understand it less now.

I guess it allowed there to be a duke-out between him & Edoga, and one could argue there is no competition without guaranteeing McDermott some money ($450K in this case) because then there's nothing in it for him to sign here in early March vs. keeping his options open. Not that I'd get a stiffy over whichever of them won in either case. I suppose there's a year of experience in the offense vs. a new backup-level guy, most of whom suck anyway, but still. Bleh. 

But I think this is the price of admission with a competition. Ditto Pineiro & Zuerlein.

Just add the competition-loser's dead cap to the cost of the winner I guess.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

But the question is do we even need at RB4? also the veteran leadership thing is overrated. We need a veteran in the RB room? what for? RB need to hit holes, its one of the positions that a rookie can come in and contribute. I really hope we do not carry more than 3 rbs. I do not want ty johnson, i guess knight as rb 3 is ok, but should be just a practice squad guys, we should have 2 rbs on the active roster in my humble opinion, but what the hell do i know im just a jets fan.

I didn't say leadership necessarily.  The veteran perspective isn't about kicking guys in the ass but about the tricks of the trade, some things to look at more carefully, the "player speak" vs. the "coach speak" on a certain play.  ALL of these RBs are young dudes. With Carter, Hall and Knight you have two guys with 0 NFL games played, Carter has about 14?

That's 14 total NFL games played between 3 RBs!!!

Sometimes it's nice to have a guy at practice who says, "What I noticed in crunch time during the NFC Championship Game was how the DTs had their hands on their hips.  But the DEs were being rotated.  It was a 3rd and 3 and I could tell that if the outside wasn't there against the defense's fresh ends I could cut back inside and we'd have a good push against tired DTs.  I got 5 yards by doing exactly that.  See.... look at Rankins... he's leaning on his left foot.  He's tired.  You can probably hit the B gap on this next play IF it is there."

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If we're keeping Ty Johnson over Tevin Coleman that surprises me. Coleman has injury issues but still has burst. Johnson can't catch a cold.

Ty Johnson is younger, faster, clocked as fast as 4.26 at his pro day. Hefted 225 lbs

27 times more than any back at the Combine. As per catching he had a poor year

but so did a lot of Jets last year, remember  Davis. The year before against the current

champs the Rams he had six receptions including a TD catch. As a receiver at Maryland

and for the Lions his hands were fine. His hands are  actually bigger than Coleman's.

As a kick returner Johnson had TD returns of 100 & 98 yards, compared to Coleman's

23 yds career average

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was looking through cuts and saw "Dakoda Shepley" and wondered why I recognized that name.  I clicked on his link and the only thing it has for him is an article from 2017 that ends so well I challenge anyone to explain to me how things have gone so wrong for so long here:

 

Quotable: "I think people are going to look back 20 years from now and say this is the moment the Jets shifted into a new year, that they became a great team" -- CEO Christopher Johnson on the drafting of Darnold.

Salary-cap space: $19.5 million, according to NFLPA records.

2018 draft picks: 1. QB Sam Darnold (USC); 3. DE Nathan Shepherd (Fort Hays State); 4. TE Chris Herndon (Miami); 6a. CB Parry Nickerson (Tulane), 6b. DT Folorunso Fatukasi (UConn), 6c. RB/KR Trenton Cannon (Virginia State).

Undrafted rookie free agents signed: FB Dimitri Flowers (Oklahoma), C Austin Golson (Auburn), T Darius James (Auburn), LB Frankie Luvu (Washington State), G Dakoda Shepley (British Columbia), DL Mychealon Thomas (Texas Tech), WR Jonah Trinnaman (BYU), LB Anthony Wint (Florida International).

Unrestricted free agents signed: LB David Bass (Jets), QB Teddy Bridgewater (Vikings), CB Morris Claiborne (Jets), LB Brandon Copeland (Lions), RB Isaiah Crowell (Browns), CB Trumaine Johnson (Rams), C Spencer Long (Redskins), QB Josh McCown (Jets), LB Kevin Minter (Bengals), DL Mike Pennel (Jets), LB Kevin Pierre-Louis (Chiefs), WR Terrelle Pryor (Redskins), WR Andre Roberts (Falcons), PK Cairo Santos (Bears), C Travis Swanson (Lions), LB Avery Williamson (Titans),

Restricted free agents signed: WR Quincy Enunwa (Jets), S Rontez Miles (Jets), T Brent Qvale (Jets), TE Neal Sterling (Jets),

Players acquired via trade: DE Henry Anderson (Colts),

  • Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I didn't say leadership necessarily.  The veteran perspective isn't about kicking guys in the ass but about the tricks of the trade, some things to look at more carefully, the "player speak" vs. the "coach speak" on a certain play.  ALL of these RBs are young dudes. With Carter, Hall and Knight you have two guys with 0 NFL games played, Carter has about 14?

That's 14 total NFL games played between 3 RBs!!!

Sometimes it's nice to have a guy at practice who says, "What I noticed in crunch time during the NFC Championship Game was how the DTs had their hands on their hips.  But the DEs were being rotated.  It was a 3rd and 3 and I could tell that if the outside wasn't there against the defense's fresh ends I could cut back inside and we'd have a good push against tired DTs.  I got 5 yards by doing exactly that.  See.... look at Rankins... he's leaning on his left foot.  He's tired.  You can probably hit the B gap on this next play IF it is there."

I get your point I just don't necessarily think a vet rb is needed. But I'm not a rb so I could be wrong but I do like the fact we got these young bucks 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mildly surprised Tevin Coleman was cut. The guy can still play and will land on someone's roster. We have a really young RB room right now with Hall, Carter, And Knight making up most of it. Not sure how long Ty Johnson is in the league  but he seems to be the elder. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Mildly surprised Tevin Coleman was cut. The guy can still play and will land on someone's roster. We have a really young RB room right now with Hall, Carter, And Knight making up most of it. Not sure how long Ty Johnson is in the league  but he seems to be the elder. 

Honestly, given how highly the coaching staff said they thought of Coleman, and how good he still looked on the field, I'd be a little surprised if he didn't re-sign with the team sometime between later today (after Curry and/or others are placed on short-term IR) or week two, once his full-year veteran salary would no longer be locked in.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Mildly surprised Tevin Coleman was cut. The guy can still play and will land on someone's roster. We have a really young RB room right now with Hall, Carter, And Knight making up most of it. Not sure how long Ty Johnson is in the league  but he seems to be the elder. 

Indeed an odd move. Coleman is the only veteran. He is one of their best pass blockers. He knows and excels in the 'system' or blocking scheme. He's been healthy. Played specials (returns). And he showed out on pre-season.  

I was sure he was a lock as the #3 RB, even if Jets decided to keep 4. Knight seemed like a shoe-in for PS...and Ty should probably have been cut. 

JMHO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2022 at 3:47 PM, nycdan said:

8/30 Final Cutdown Day

CUT

  • QB - Chris Streveler
  • RB - Tevin Coleman
  • RB - La'Mical Perine
  • FB - Nick Bawden
  • WR - Calvin Jackson
  • WR - Irvin Charles
  • WR - Tarik Black
  • TE - Kenny Yeboah
  • TE - Trevon Wesco
  • OT - Chuma Edoga
  • OL - Grant Hermanns
  • OL - Ross Pierschbacher
  • OL - Conor McDermott
  • OL - Chris Glaser
  • DE - Tanzel Smart
  • DE - Bradlee Anae
  • DE - Jabari Zuniga
  • DT - Jonathan Marshall
  • LB - Del'Shawn Phillips
  • LB - Hamsah Nasirildeen
  • LB - DQ Thomas
  • LB - Marcell Harris
  • CB - Javelin Guidry
  • CB - Isaiah Dunn
  • CB - Rachad Wildgoose
  • S - Jason Pinnock
  • S - Will Parks

Total: 27

 

SIGNED

 

SIGNED TO PRACTICE SQUAD

  • QB - Chris Streveler
  • WR - Tarik Black
  • WR - Irvin Charles
  • TE - Kenny Yeboah
  • OT - Chris Glaser
  • OT - Grant Hermanns
  • DL - Bradly Anae
  • DL - Jonathan Marshall
  • DL - Tanzel Smart
  • LB - Hamsah Nasirildeen
  • LB - DQ Thomas
  • LB - Chazz Surratt (MIN)
  • S - Will Parks

 

8/23 CUTS

  • K Eddy Piñeiro
  • S Elijah Riley
  • OL Isaiah Williams
  • OL Caleb Benenoch
  • LB Kai Nacua

No wonder this team hasn’t won 5 games in last 100 years

  • WTF? 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2022 at 10:29 AM, THE BARON said:

I was fairly convinced that Becton would be a wasted pick even before he was drafted by the Jets,  but I did try my best to be positive about it after the pick was made.  I wasn't sure of it last season, but I'm on board now saying that Zach Wilson will not work out well as a professional QB. 

I also think that JD hit a home run with this most recent draft and off season.  

For 2022, I see Flacco ultimately winding up as the starter by mid season or so.  Not due to injury but to poor performance of Wilson and a continuation of the same mistakes.  I see him doing a good job of it and frustrations from earlier in the season due to bad QB play will start to melt away. 

After Wilson takes a seat, I see the Jets showing that they are a good team built for sustained success, but missing the QB of the future. 

The 2023 draft will be about shopping again for a QB.  Fortunately, there will be a lot of QB's on the shelf for the buying in that draft.

Maybe he’s already on the practice squad. That next QB! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/1/2022 at 5:31 PM, 68JET11 said:

only move I didn't like was letting Pinnock go. Not sure which of Joyner or Davis I would have let go in his place, but would have like to see Pinnock make the team.

Same here, I think he has real potential.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...