RIP Len Dawson

maury77

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Vikings are 0-4 in Super Bowls and they were 17 point favorites in one of them?  Wow, never knew that.

There was this perception that the NFL was so much better than the AFL. They didn't play each other during the regular season, so it was kind of like the perception of the ABA by the NBA... The AFL was more fun and innovative, (like the ABA), but werent taken seriously. You'd think after the Jets beat the Colts, the perception would change. But it didn't. I was watching these AFL teams and I see they're pretty good, just like watching Dr J and George Gervin in the ABA, and saying, hey, these guys are good... But I guess since the leagues didn't play each other, they couldnt gage how good these leagues were 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, roscoeword said:

There was this perception that the NFL was so much better than the AFL. They didn't play each other during the regular season, so it was kind of like the perception of the ABA by the NBA... The AFL was more fun and innovative, (like the ABA), but werent taken seriously. You'd think after the Jets beat the Colts, the perception would change. But it didn't. I was watching these AFL teams and I see they're pretty good, just like watching Dr J and George Gervin in the ABA, and saying, hey, these guys are good... But I guess since the leagues didn't play each other, they couldnt gage how good these leagues were 

The perception was magnified by the beating Greenbay put on the Chiefs and the Raiders the two following years the AFL teams won the SB.  KC destroyed MN in SB 4.  The reality is the AFL was a very solid league with a more open game.  The AFL had some great players who would have been big time stars in the NFL.  It was a very solid league that really helped change the game.  

Starr was simply better than both Lamonica and Dawson.   In the next two SB the QB's on the AFL team were better.  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Loved him on Inside the NFL.  I have his rookie card too.

RIP

Great on inside the NFL. Got to see him play a few times at end of his career, but remember him best from Inside NFL. RIP

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Always loved these photos of the legends smoking. 

arnold-palmer.webp

That's what I used to love about El Duque when he was on the Yankees, it was the 90s and he was still sneaking in cigarettes between innings. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I saw him play, he was a very cerebral QB who could pick you apart with short and intermediate passing. RIP

Yea JF, the thing about Len Dawson game was it was a very modern approach to playing the position. Lenny Dawson would have been the same type of QB had he been playing this September as he was playing it in 1970 and he would have been just as effective

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, GandWFan said:

Grew up watching the AFL.  The NFL was so boring back then.  3 yards and a cloud of dust.  AFL was wide open. Namath,  Lamonica, Dawson, Hadl, Gabriel...  Bombs away!

Thanks for the memories, Lenny!  RIP

Roman Gabriel was an NFL QB Gandy he played for the LA Rams

• Upvote 2

I saw him play in person at the Hall of Fame game against the Giants in the 70's . He was my inspiration to play QB in high school and college. I loved his play calling ability and those long bombs to Otis Taylor. I can still picture it.  Loved his AFL Super Bowl IV  victory over the favorited Vikings.   RIP ☹️

• Upvote 1

image.png.342ca57f7893a5001eb09136c56609e0.png

Len Dawson beat the Jets in the playoffs in '69, my first live football game at Shea.  It was freezing that day and I was always a fan of those Chief teams in those days, they were so innovative down to their huddles.

image.thumb.png.9ce150114b5685369f3ef0b76ad918c7.png

• Sympathy 1

On 8/24/2022 at 5:28 AM, maury77 said:

Never saw him play, but he was the host of Inside the NFL when I was a kid and that is how I originally got hooked on football. 

I was a fan before it but Inside the NFL was a must see, almost "event" type of show in the days when you still got 90% of your sporting news from the paper. Len Dawson was awesome

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I was a fan before it but Inside the NFL was a must see, almost "event" type of show in the days when you still got 90% of your sporting news from the paper. Len Dawson was awesome

The detail we now get from various places on the internet was in the great old Sporting News.