Report: All options are on the table for Raiders OL Alex Leatherwood

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/25/report-all-options-are-on-the-table-for-raiders-ol-alex-leatherwood/

The Raiders could soon be parting ways with tackle Alex Leatherwood.

Via Vincent Bonsignore of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, all options are on the table for Leatherwood, the 17th overall pick in the 2021 draft.

Those options include leaving him at tackle, moving him to guard, trading him, or cutting him.

Cutting him would be far from ideal. He has a fully-guaranteed contract through 2024. The Raiders probably would have to pay some of that money to finagle a trade.

The Cowboys could be a candidate, given that they’re scrambling to replace left tackle Tyron Smith. But here’s the reality about teams that need help on the offensive line — they’re probably not looking for guys whom their current team is trying to get rid of.

New Raiders coach Josh McDaniels has already trotted out the “leak that a player is being cut and then hope someone calls to trade for him” routine. It didn’t work with running back Kenyan Drake. Maybe McDaniels will try it again with Leatherwood.

They’ll operate like the patriots and flip him for a 6th rounder. I can’t imagine he’s THAT bad, just not worth the 1st round salary. He’d be good depth and our big FA signing AllPro LG Tomlinson had a similar beginning with Detroit got flipped for like a 5th(?) to SanFran and resurrected his career into netting another NFL $$$ FA contract 

22 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/25/report-all-options-are-on-the-table-for-raiders-ol-alex-leatherwood/

Via Vincent Bonsignore of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, all options are on the table for Leatherwood, the 17th overall pick in the 2021 draft.

Those options include leaving him at tackle, moving him to guard, trading him, or cutting him.

Cutting him would be far from ideal. He has a fully-guaranteed contract through 2024. The Raiders probably would have to pay some of that money to finagle a trade.

The Cowboys could be a candidate, given that they’re scrambling to replace left tackle Tyron Smith. But here’s the reality about teams that need help on the offensive line — they’re probably not looking for guys whom their current team is trying to get rid of.

New Raiders coach Josh McDaniels has already trotted out the “leak that a player is being cut and then hope someone calls to trade for him” routine. It didn’t work with running back Kenyan Drake. Maybe McDaniels will try it again with Leatherwood.

why are they cutting a tackle from Alabama? Seems weird... leatherwood had issues but still he started for Alabama.

31 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

CB vs OL.... very different... You don't draft CBs from Alabama... you draft lineman... both sides.

I was gonna let this go, but I checked something and was surprised by the results.

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamanfl/nfl-active-alabama-crimson-tide-players-by-position

There are some really good DBs on this list.  Minkah, Diggs, Eddie Jackson, Surtain, Humphrey.

On the flip side, looking at OL and DL, I'm not blown away.

Honestly, I'd draft WRs from Alabama.  That's the best position they bring to the NFL by far.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

no way do we take a guy who they want to trade after 1 year. and he wasnt injured he started all 17 games last year. 

i read he was moved to RT from RG and looked bad. he got beat by a vet and a 7th rd pick.

ok fine then move him back inside as a backup. if a 2nd year player that wasnt injured cant be a backup then thats all you need to know. we should stay away.

7 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I seriously doubt the Raiders cut or trade Leatherwood.    What they know is that he isn’t NFL caliber tackle .  Should never play there again.  He strictly should be playing at guard only.   Alex Leatherwood and JSimpson are exactly the type of guards that the new offense blocking scheme prefers .( they both move defenders off the line of scrimmage in the running game)     With Dylan parham eventually becoming the center .   ( right now starting lg)     
Right now neither Simpson or Leatherwood are projected to start on the offense line , but you need depth , and either one can easily fill in there if starter goes down.     Alex Leatherwood at guard can develop into a pro bowl caliber guard .       He isn’t even  an CFL caliber tackle.  
Hopeful they play him tomorrow all game at guard , and don’t waste anymore time trying to play him where he not cut out to play - tackle . 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

I seriously doubt the Raiders cut or trade Leatherwood.    What they know is that he isn’t NFL caliber tackle .  Should never play there again.  He strictly should be playing at guard only.   Alex Leatherwood and JSimpson are exactly the type of guards that the new offense blocking scheme prefers .( they both move defenders off the line of scrimmage in the running game)     With Dylan parham eventually becoming the center .   ( right now starting lg)     
Right now neither Simpson or Leatherwood are projected to start on the offense line , but you need depth , and either one can easily fill in there if starter goes down.     Alex Leatherwood at guard can develop into a pro bowl caliber guard .       He isn’t even  an CFL caliber tackle.  
Hopeful they play him tomorrow all game at guard , and don’t waste anymore time trying to play him where he not cut out to play - tackle . 

I seem to remember some draft guys, either Brandt, Polian or Paul Alexander saying they thought he would be a G in the NFL.

22 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mims for Leatherwood. Make it happen Tanny.

No Jmo I expect Raiders to carry 6 RBs , and five wrs only.    Ex Jet - K Cole looks to be the odd man out .  1. D Adams 2 H Renfrow- slot 3 . m Hollins - more blocker for  run downs but top special Teamer 4. Tyron Johnson - will have big year as will get Single coverage.   A better R Anderson version.  Going to put up big numbers as going to see single coverage .   5 Dj Turner - slot-  punt/  kick returner .   Mims doesn’t fit the Wr criteria because you have to have intelligence . Read coverages and be able to know where you suppose to be by the coverage the team is in.   Your Qb expects you to be there reading the defense, and you aren’t there there going to be turnovers. ( make the Qb look bad because You didn’t read the coverage right). 

• WTF? 1

19 hours ago, section314 said:

I seem to remember some draft guys, either Brandt, Polian or Paul Alexander saying they thought he would be a G in the NFL.

Raiders previous staff made a mistake projecting him to tackle , as he clearly just a guard in nfl. Should never play another down at tackle again.    Mcdaniels likes his offense lineman to be versatile    Leatherwood only being able to play guard works against him. Still you can’t keep trying to find a square piece in round hole.   You need depth and having Simpson, and Leatherwood as guard is very nice depth.     The Raiders are okay in the interior but tackle becomes dicey.      K Miller and J Eluemunor ( ideally probably like to be swing tackle than starting).     After that J Barton will probably make the roster as swing tackle.    t Munford will initial. Make the 53 man roster but they will Ir ( miss the first five weeks).   7th rounder isn’t ready to survive at Rt in AFC west. ( pass rushers you will see) .    The Raiders will pick up tackle that’s cut or trade for one .   They can’t have Barton and Munford as the backups .   Get quality starter at Rt , and than Eluemunor can be the swing tackle.   Hope the new staff doesn’t plan to put B Parker on initial 53 man roster, than ir him .   He has torn labrum . He wasn’t good with two healthy arms, and going to be better with one.  

I don't know how he'd fit with us, but washing out when systems change is a way to pick up talent.  The fact they cut bait so quickly makes you wonder if there is some attitude/character/work ethic stuff, but that is pure conjecture.  He was a head scratcher going 17 overall, but I figured he'd be a solid enough 2nd.  Really has not had a very good start to his career.

On 8/25/2022 at 11:14 PM, Raideraholic said:

Typed all this for nothing  lmao

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know how he'd fit with us, but washing out when systems change is a way to pick up talent.  The fact they cut bait so quickly makes you wonder if there is some attitude/character/work ethic stuff, but that is pure conjecture.  He was a head scratcher going 17 overall, but I figured he'd be a solid enough 2nd.  Really has not had a very good start to his career.

Based on what @Raideraholic said, he is terrible at Tackle; can only play Guard.  That doesn't fit what the Jets are looking for so I'd think he's not even a remote consideration here.

Just now, varjet said:

Kind of interesting that top recruits like Alex Leatherwood and Wyatt Davis, guys who, going to college, probably thought they were guaranteed NFL careers, are in the processing of failing year 2.  

At least Leatherwood signed a big contract.  

I always thought of Guard as that non-premium position that projected really well to the pros, which was why you might draft one in the 1st round.  After Warmack/Cooper and now these two, it seems that is no longer the case.  Really glad AVT seems to be working out well for us.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Based on what @Raideraholic said, he is terrible at Tackle; can only play Guard.  That doesn't fit what the Jets are looking for so I'd think he's not even a remote consideration here.

Generally I agree, but it also might relate to the system.  I wasn't high on Leatherwood, and I don't even remember the reports that had me not being high on him.