Boomer Thinks Zach's Performance in First Preseason Game "Troubling"...

5 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

I would just like to ask those who think that Zach Wilson is going to be great: What have you seen that makes you have all this blind faith in Wilson's ability to be an even good quarterback never mind great or a star? What am I missing? I think I've seen one decent quarter of good football from him so far.

The odds are against any of these guys being “great,” but it’s certainly conceivable he could blossom into a good player given his tools and supposedly good work ethic and I’d like to give him a minimum of 2 full seasons to try to get that done before moving on to the next guy to eventually hate. 

7 hours ago, slimjasi said:

The odds are against any of these guys being “great,” but it’s certainly conceivable he could blossom into a good player given his tools and supposedly good work ethic and I’d like to give him a minimum of 2 full seasons to try to get that done before moving on to the next guy to eventually hate. 

Lots of things are "certainly conceivable." I don't waste my life waiting for them to happen, though.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, jgb said:

No one should be troubled by a few snaps in pre-season and it should not have changed anyone's opinions -- the sample size was far too small. I am, however, troubled by his 2021 performance.

well if you use 2021 performance he clearly got better as season went on and not just him.  The OL was a mess in beginning of the season, Ty Johnson was the lead RB (who IMO is about to be cut soo and will be lucky to get another gig), our midget OC had to go up to the booth before he could effectively call plays and that wasnt until game 5?, the defense sucked making whoever was at QB have to play from behind and all the implications there....yada ydaya yada

I don't like all the excuses but no denying they are there and I have no idea if Zach is good or not - until he plays on a team that is not the Bad News Bears  (dating myself with that ref), I don't think anyone knows if he is good or not...or even just capable.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Lots of things are "certainly conceivable." I don't waste my life waiting for them to happen, though.

He’s getting this year, regardless. And there’s no one else on the roster who is realistically the answer going forward. Might as well embrace it. 

The guy was league MVP , and has had a pretty good track record on QBs ( he was the only person I can recall saying the Browns should take Josh Allen #1 BEFORE the draft among other things ) but yes we all know more than him . Face it guys …we’re in trouble with Zach. Big trouble . 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He’s getting this year, regardless. And there’s no one else on the roster who is realistically the answer going forward. Might as well embrace it. 

That is a different argument all together. A fatalistic one, that I agree with, actually. He is getting this year and I want him to play as much as possible so we aren't all having this same debate a year from now.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BigGreenFan said:

Would this be the same Boomer who in April said the Yanks had a MAJOR problem because Kiner-Falefa (who is now batting .270) was a black hole in the lineup and can't hit (because he started the season 2 for 17)? 

Overreacting Boomer at it again I see.  

He was wrong about one thing thus his opinion about everything is wrong.

I wonder, then, is anyone worth listening to?

He is not wrong ... at this point i expect much greater command, decisiveness and precision from Zach. Bad timing is not a good sign.... especially after the summer Zach Tour. That being said ... 1/4 of football is plain silly to make an evaluation.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

I think Wilson will always have the bizarre erratic short miss 1/20 throws or so. It's about making the other 19 accurate enough to still have 65-70% completion. Don't overanalyze an incompletion because it "looks" worse than another. It's all about how accurate the player is overall. 

Also...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1304467-what-do-peyton-mannings-preseason-struggles-mean-for-the-broncos-season

Joe Burrow week 2 last year, very concerning 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, pointman said:

Well, he isn't wrong. With that said, F off Boomer. Zach was in for about ten seconds before his human like meniscus couldn't keep up with his super hero like aura. 

His meniscus processing at NFL speed is a huge positive. 

• Upvote 1

Boomer is just another guy trying to fill his show and using sensationalization to get viewers. Wasn't he high on Zack when he first came out? So, no QB ever had a bad quarter during the first pre-season game of the year?

Had he stayed in and sucked and then continued to suck that would be worrisome. Also, Zack player pretty well last year in preseason, how did that work out for us?

It is not like Boomer ever took us to the promise land. F' him.

Boomer is not the only one.  I'm coming out now saying that I'm all but positive that Zach Wilson isn't going to workout as a professional QB. 

Glad there is going to be a pile of excellent QB prospects on the shelf in the 2023 draft.

I think by mid season Flacco will be the starter.

Also... In the 2023 draft, JD should be looking for a QB prospect with the highest ceiling and not the lowest floor.  They can retain Flacco for the 2023 season or arrange for another one year rental of a vet QB while the new prospect learns for a season.

JD's first draft was a disaster.  Becton and Wilson were disaster picks that set them back, BUT... JD has learned a lot, obviously.  This current off season and draft were outstanding.  Despite the Becton and Wilson picks along with the "lost draft", I really see JD showing signs of building a team for sustained success.

If he goes into the 2023 draft with the same brain he used in this past draft, the Jets will come away with the first true franchise QB in decades.

As Cesar once said.  "Hasten slowly"

• Upvote 2

The injuries are extremely troubling.  He had issues in college and he's on his second injury in under a calendar year.  It's also troubling that he's losing the most important reps of the off-season.  He needed these 3 weeks as much as anyone and it hurts the offense as a whole.  That said, it's better to happen now vs. the regular season but if he gets injured again during the regular season and has to miss another month of Football, troubling goes to we got ******* problems. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, BigGreenFan said:

Would this be the same Boomer who in April said the Yanks had a MAJOR problem because Kiner-Falefa (who is now batting .270) was a black hole in the lineup and can't hit (because he started the season 2 for 17)? 

Overreacting Boomer at it again I see.  

is this a joke? Kiner-Falefa ******* sucks.

6 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Boomer is not the only one.  I'm coming out now saying that I'm all but positive that Zach Wilson isn't going to workout as a professional QB. 

Glad there is going to be a pile of excellent QB prospects on the shelf in the 2023 draft.

I think by mid season Flacco will be the starter.

Also... In the 2023 draft, JD should be looking for a QB prospect with the highest ceiling and not the lowest floor.  They can retain Flacco for the 2023 season or arrange for another one year rental of a vet QB while the new prospect learns for a season.

JD's first draft was a disaster.  Becton and Wilson were disaster picks that set them back, BUT... JD has learned a lot, obviously.  This current off season and draft were outstanding.  Despite the Becton and Wilson picks along with the "lost draft", I really see JD showing signs of building a team for sustained success.

If he goes into the 2023 draft with the same brain he used in this past draft, the Jets will come away with the first true franchise QB in decades.

As Cesar once said.  "Hasten slowly"

Idiotic. Injury is the only way Flacco sniffs the field by midway through

And even if Zach sucks in the first 8 games you still see it through. 

Also the Jets DID draft the QB with the highest ceiling. The low floor guy was Jones

On 8/25/2022 at 5:08 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

I mean he's not wrong it's just such a small sample. That's the crappiest thing about the injury - we have 3 seconds of crap play to replay in our minds until he gets back and we have to hope it was just early game/back to school jitters.

Actually the crappies thing is if I have to name a player who could least afford to miss camp, it's  Zach

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, THE BARON said:

There are 2 top-tier prospects and a bunch of Zach Wilsons (high ceiling, low floor, from smaller schools, who came out of left field).  This notion that next year’s class is crazy strong is not true, as things stand today.

45 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

There are 2 top-tier prospects and a bunch of Zach Wilsons (high ceiling, low floor, from smaller schools, who came out of left field).  This notion that next year’s class is crazy strong is not true, as things stand today.

I like the way Will Levis plays, he's got that Josh Allen tougness to him (although Levis is not on Allen's level as an athlete or with arm strength). 

• Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Not accurate.

Stroud (Ohio State)

Levis (Kentucky)

Bryce Young (Alabama)

Van Dyke (Miami)

Rattler (South Carolina)

Jurkovec (Boston College)

Anthony Richardson (Florida)

Cam Ward (Washington State)

No less than 5 QB's are going in round 1 next year and another three or four are going in round two. 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I like the way Will Levis plays, he's got that Josh Allen tougness to him (although Levis is not on Allen's level as an athlete or with arm strength). 

Levis is the only other QB I’m somewhat intrigued by, but man, his scouting report reads like a 23 year old Zach Wilson (who will be 24 when next season starts.)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Not accurate.

Stroud (Ohio State)

Levis (Kentucky)

Bryce Young (Alabama)

Van Dyke (Miami)

Rattler (South Carolina)

Jurkovec (Boston College)

Anthony Richardson (Florida)

Cam Ward (Washington State)

No less than 5 QB's are going in round 1 next year and another three or four are going in round two. 

My guy, if you have Spencer Rattler worthy of a 1st round pick right now, I want whatever it is you are smoking when you watch him.  Between the tape he has put out there so far, and the myriad of issues with his personality, I wouldn’t touch him with a 100ft pole because there is a massive difference between someone being selected in the first round, and being worthy of being selected in the first round.  

Furthermore, almost all of those other guys fit the exact description I laid out (a bunch of Zach Wilsons):

Talented guys who sort of burst on the scene with high talent and traits, but extremely low floors.  Wilson was that same type of prospect.

People generally think John Lynch is a genius and he basically threw Jimmy G away (who just got him to the NFCCG) to trade massive draft capital and take a flyer on Trey Lance. I actually think, if the 49ers were picking at 2, they were also taking Trey Lance (which is part of our problem).  

We just have to keep looking at the Buccaneers.  They drafted Jameis.  They built a team.  Jameis helped develop the team.  They left Jameis move on.  They signed Brady to a good team.  They won a SB and made the playoffs.  Its a plan (that may work better in a 0 tax state).  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 8/25/2022 at 4:03 PM, jetswinbaby! said:

Boomer Esiason, on his morning show, did not like what he witnessed in Zach's limited play before his injury...

INT on short pass was a repeat of the same problem that Wilson had in his Rookie season...

And on that ill-advised run that he got hurt on: why was he scrambling/running up the field so early in game one of preseason?...

Why not just go down in such a meaningless situation?...

He thinks they were "rookie" mistakes, when we had heard that Wilson had made big strides in the off-season...

The tools are there, the good judgement is not...

i fundamentally disagree with him. the interception was a quick timing throw, exactly the kind of throw you'd miss in the preseason....Davis went a yard deeper then what Wilson anticipated and sat down in the zone. The injury/run....the issue wasnt going down it was going out of bounds....i get it...but its not like he ran to contact either like Jimmy G. Boomer is off here, and as an ex player should know better.