Mims requested a Trade

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

The 2020 draft Joe Douglas first draft was a complete dissaster.  I'll take it a step further.  He was hired right after the 2019 season in June.  Typically GM's are brought in after the season in January just months before their first draft.   He had more time than any rookie GM to rebuild the scout team, evaluate the teams needs and prepare for the 2020 draft.  

In that draft there were 5 players who have made the pro bowl.  3 after we picked.  There are 3 in the second round and 2 in the third round.   In last years draft their are 6 players who made the pro bowl after we picked including a QB.  

I like Douglas, but the results so far aren't great.   Last years and this years draft class has to be great.  Saleh has to be a home run.  By home run I mean develop players and coach players to play at a very high level.  Scheme and adjust to win games based on opponents and tape and build a staff that if it's any good will be raided every year of talent.  To date we've seen no indication on any of it.

This is a huge year for Douglas and Saleh.  

I'm asking because I don't know.  Did JD blow up Macc's entire scouting department and bring in his own guys?

36 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We agree.  There's no spot for him on the Jets.  He wants a chance somewhere else.  Why should he shut up.  He wants out of a situation where he can't compete.

The Jets and Jet Nut thinks he sucks and doesn't deserve a spot.  Move on.  Don't put him on a shelf.  

Not the way business works.  If an asset has some value, even if it is less than you paid for it, you try to recoup that value.  In the NFL, that means trade.  Cutting him recoups nothing.

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm asking because I don't know.  Did JD blow up Macc's entire scouting department and bring in his own guys?

Let’s not forget that JD wasn’t home fishing before taking the Jets job. He was deep in player evals as a member of the Eagles staff.

A change of scenery might be good for him and some team will probably take a flyer on him. I don't see him being happy anywhere. Seems to think he should be a 1/2 but he's probably struggling anywhere he goes to land 4/5 on a roster. 

There should be a permanent ban on drafting USC QBs and any Baylor player in the second round. 

Just now, jgb said:

Let’s take it even further, how do we know it’s not all scripted anyway or… does it even exist at all? @Hackenberg - Banned

I often think about just claiming a Jets Super Bowl every year, closing my eyes, sticking my fingers in my ears and screaming I have evidence while refusing to ever acknowledge the real winner.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, JiFapono said:

I often think about just claiming a Jets Super Bowl every year, closing my eyes, sticking my fingers in my ears and screaming I have evidence while refusing to ever acknowledge the real winner.  

PVO

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If you want to go with a conspiracy theory here's one.  Gase told Douglas to pick Saleh because it makes Gase look competent.  

It's a conspiracy theory that the HC would have input in the draft? What planet do you live on? Every HC & GM work together. GM has final say but the HC definitely has input and the GM is drafting to the schemes they're running. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, rex-n-effect said:

A change of scenery might be good for him and some team will probably take a flyer on him. I don't see him being happy anywhere. Seems to think he should be a 1/2 but he's probably struggling anywhere he goes to land 4/5 on a roster. 

There should be a permanent ban on drafting USC QBs and any Baylor player in the second round. 

This pretty much.  And watching him, it’s unclear what his thing is.  He’s not strong, not quick twitch, not the guy who is going to box out a smaller cb.  He’s supposed to have straight line speed, but it doesn’t show up on film or they’re not running him that way.  You watch berrios, you know what he can do and how to use him.  

Just now, slimjasi said:

I guess it's inconvenient, then, that Saleh doubled Gase's previous win total in his first year? 

Gase won 7 games in a 16 game season in year 1.  Year 2 was a tank year after it was clear Sam sucked.  The win over the Rams and Cleveland were a huge mistake.  That's why Gase was fired and we have Zach instead of Lawrence.  

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's a conspiracy theory that the HC would have input in the draft? What planet do you live on? Every HC & GM work together. GM has final say but the HC definitely has input and the GM is drafting to the schemes they're running. 

Are you implying that Gase set up the Jets draft board that had Becton rated of Whirfs?  That's the basic job of an NFL GM and his scout staff not the HC.  Douglas said Becton was the No. 1 tackle on the Jets board.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Are you implying that Gase set up the Jets draft board that had Becton rated of Whirfs?  That's a lot more than imput that's the GM's job.  

No. I'm saying the GM and HC work together to draft players that fit the offensive and defensive schemes. A lot of people pretend the GM & scouts do their work in a vacuum w/no input from the scheme or coaches they're drafting for and it's ridiculous. If I missed your point forgive me I'm a little derpy.

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Gase won 7 games in a 16 game season in year 1.  Year 2 was a tank year after it was clear Sam sucked.  The win over the Rams and Cleveland were a huge mistake.  That's why Gase was fired and we have Zach instead of Lawrence.  

It wasn't a tank year for Gase - he was coaching for his job. I don't think Gase was fired for his two wins - I think he was fired for his 14 losses. 

And, btw, I have long defended Gase on here. I don't think he was as bad as his reputation on these boards would suggest -the idea that he is routinely compared to Kotite is silly as Kotite was orders of magnitude worse. 

Just now, Paradis said:

I don't know what happened to the guy that popped off the film in Baylor for 2 years straight, then put DBs through a washing machine at the Senior Bowl...  Abducted and replaced by aliens I assume. 

GL imposter. 

Some guys struggle mentally to adapt to the NFL game. 

I think he's been a little snake-bitten and a little immature. Combination of things along with typical Jets luck. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

No. I'm saying the GM and HC work together to draft players that fit the offensive and defensive schemes. A lot of people pretend the GM & scouts do their work in a vacuum w/no input from the scheme or coaches they're drafting for and it's ridiculous. If I missed your point forgive me I'm a little derpy.

They do work together.  However we know that Mac was canned in large part because he and Gase weren't hired together and Gase had zero input.  Gase had a ton of input on hiring Douglas.  Douglas was hired early and revamped the scouting departmtent before the first draft, way before any other first year GM who were hired after the season had to prepare.  Douglas was very specific about wanting to draft OL.  We had clear need.   Douglas was clear that Becton was the No. 1 guy on his draft board.  The assistant GM said the same thing.  Gase liked the pick.  We also know that Adams was traded when Gase was the HC.  The Adams trade gave us the ammunition to do the damage we did in the last two drafts and was done before Saleh was hired.   I believe Douglas was the architect of that draft and the Adams trade.  Douglas and the scouting team set up and stuck to our draft board and Gase like Saleh signed on.  

I don't blame Gase for either Mac's drafting or Douglas's drafting.  Gase did enough in two years here to get his ass fired.   Douglas looks like a competent GM who shouldn't be held accountable for Gase and should stand on his own record.  The same is true for Saleh.

I'm also under the impression that Douglas is better at his job than Saleh and if Saleh doesn't step up I'd be inclined to give Douglas more time with or without Saleh.

• Upvote 2

Mims' trade value is too low right now. Not a good chance of Joe Douglas trading Mims unless the offer is in an acceptable range. Wouldn't be surprised if Douglas trades Mims for another team's disgruntled or underperforming player. Changes of scenery is sometimes all it takes to jumpstart a career. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It wasn't a tank year for Gase - he was coaching for his job. I don't think Gase was fired for his two wins - I think he was fired for his 14 losses. 

And, btw, I have long defended Gase on here. I don't think he was as bad as his reputation on these boards would suggest -the idea that he is routinely compared to Kotite is silly as Kotite was orders of magnitude worse. 

This always seemed odd.  It was obvious Gase was on his way out and they were tanking, but for him to keep his job he couldn't tank.  You have to wonder how much it hurt him that he was not a real head coach, but only had control of the O.  Gregg WIlliams was a stated plant and even on specials, Boyer was brought in under Bowles, did his own thing and outlasted Gase. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This always seemed odd.  It was obvious Gase was on his way out and they were tanking, but for him to keep his job he couldn't tank.  You have to wonder how much it hurt him that he was not a real head coach, but only had control of the O.  Gregg WIlliams was a stated plant and even on specials, Boyer was brought in under Bowles, did his own thing and outlasted Gase. 

I think Gase could have saved his job if Darnold was even halfway decent. I think Gase's fate was sealed when Darnold showed obvious signs of regression in year 3 - that combined with having a historically bad team through the first 14 weeks of the season was GAME OVER. 

Gase himself said something late in the year like "I was brought here to get Sam's career going and we haven't been able to get that done"

25 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

Not the way business works.  If an asset has some value, even if it is less than you paid for it, you try to recoup that value.  In the NFL, that means trade.  Cutting him recoups nothing.

If he can't make the squad you trade him or cut him.  There's another assett that has to be left off the squad to keep him on it.  If he's not going to play because of scheme or our coaches hate him or he sucks and is a dog he's not an assett to the NY Jets.  There's value in a roster spot for someone who might contribute even if it's just in practice.  

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Reality is Gase wasn't hired by the GM.  The GM and the HC were seperate.  Gase and Mac sucked at their jobs independent of each other.  Douglas was hired and given much more authority including moving on from Gase.  The idea that Gase had control of either Mac or Douglas is absurd.  Gase was a placeholder who did one good thing.  He made the idea that the GM and HC should be independently reporting to the owner or his appointed family member untenable.  Douglas had the authority to fire and hire his HC.  He spent the first year rebuilding the scout department and evaluating everyone including Gase.   Gase buried himself by sucking at both tanking for Trevor and winning football games.