Mims requested a Trade

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

Exactly. Look at the rams and cards. Both busted on qbs and rebounded pretty fast. Back when top 10 picks were paid crazy amounts of guaranteed money it hurt a lot more. 

The owner also has to recognize if the coach and GM are busts too..hence why the Jets have been so bad for so long. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I guess.  Very sad though.

Jets are a pathetic franchise.

Zero accountability for failing to develop a guy with legit traits.

They’d rather slum it with sub-JAG level dudes for depth like Jeff Smith.

I guess everything is merit-based unless you’re talking the QB position and the pre-anointed one, Zachary Kapono Wilson.

This has nothing to do with failing to develop, the guy sucks and has been the author of his own story.  He to his credit came into camp in great shape but he simply has not been any better than some of the lower end guys.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

This isn’t 15 years ago when you bust on a qb it kills you. Teams can rebound fairly quickly now. 

We took Darnold in the ‘18 draft. Played him 3 years.

Took Wilson in the ‘21 draft, he’s starting his second year.

That’s 5 years and we probably still won’t have a QB going into next year.

Imagine starting over again 6 years after using the overall #3 and #2 picks in two drafts if Zach busts?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

The owner also has to recognize if the coach and GM are busts too..hence why the Jets have been so bad for so long. 

I’m still iffy on Saleh, but the way joe has been building the team still gives me confidence in him. Woody has been trying. Hired consultants, and looked for guidance. He knows he doesn’t know jack about football. So I’m glad he just didn’t make his own decisions 

• Sympathy 2

Just now, Green Ghost said:

That’s 5 years and we probably still won’t have a QB going into next year…

The team itself has been complete trash. When there’s a solid unit to work with it makes finding a qb to succeed much easier 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This has nothing to do with failing to develop, the guy sucks and has been the author of his own story.  He to his credit came into camp in great shape but he simply has not been any better than some of the lower end guys.

Seriously. So jets can’t develop anyone but a guy with elite measurable is getting outperformed by guys with pedestrian athletic traits? So what, the Jets developed the JAGs but not the studs? How does this argument even work? If the Jets can’t develop anyone, shouldn’t the undeveloped elite athletes outperform the undeveloped marginal ones?

• Upvote 1

JD drives a hard bargain. He won't just give Mims away. It will be a conditional pick. Like a 5th that can become a 4th quite easily with yards or play time, or even a 3rd with a pro-bowl selection (which won't happen) something like that. Ideally we'll just swap Mims for a different player, like a backup lineman, backup DT, backup whatever. A player we might be able to use in rotation somewhere on the field. Depends on what the team that values Mims has extra of.

For example, if we trade Mims to Seattle, we might get Geno Smith to compete with Streveler.

2 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

I think Mims could beat our Geno at that to be honest!

What am I worried about. Geno would land in New York after the flight, see a clock in the airport, and think he traveled through time. Then his head would explode.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Yes he did.  Then he threw that all away because he thought he had already “arrived”, became a malcontent, didn’t put the work in to learn the offense, and couldn’t line up on the field the correct way because, to his surprise, being in with the starters requires knowing where to be at all times.

And time with the starters needs to be earned, not handed to you because of draft position in round 2.  Or after a couple of seasons wasted, coming into camp in shape.  As you should every year.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

They said this about Adams too when he went public and made a complete a$$ of himself....and we got two 1st rd picks. 

All this is going to do is isolate him in the reciever room and amongst teammates who now hear publically he doent want to be a part of what appears to be a close knit team. 

For all of Jamal Adam's faults, he was at least a reliable starter, something that Mims hasn't even been.

The Jets are kinda pushed into a corner now. Before this, they could justify keeping him on the roster because of his potential, and they could've leveraged that for a mid-late round pick. But now, how do they waste a precious roster spot on a player who publicly admitted he doesn't even want to be here? If the coaches didn't trust him enough to give him meaningful chances before, I can't imagine this would increase his playing time. Any reps seem wasted on him now, and his roster spot should go towards someone with potential to groom, and who actually wants to work with the coaching staff. I think he's all but ensured he's cut now, and teams know this.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Thank you JD Thank you. 

JD definitely whiffed on his first draft but he seems to have learned from it and built a solid team since then.   The jets have an abundance of young talent even with the whif.   ZW may or may not be the answer but this is a competitive team with a vet QB shaking loose next year. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Yup.

They should fire a HC after one season.  It’s how all the great orgs are run.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

As long as they realize the QB is a bust.

Very true 

But I think you have to give a guy 25 starts or it makes no sense to ever take a QB at 2 overall 

if you aren’t willing to give a guy 2 seasons, then just go vet hunting and be done with it 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BurntDice said:

He had 1 bad draft and what looks to be two pretty good ones and now he’s close to idzik at drafting?

Moore and AVT have been good players, but we should all expect that 2021 will be graded by whether the second overall pick panned out. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

That’s 5 years and we probably still won’t have a QB going into next year.

Imagine starting over again 6 years after using the overall #3 and #2 picks in two drafts if Zach busts?

We need to start seeing signs soon that this won't be the case. Wilson needs to show us something legitimate this year. I'd like to get to a point where most of us on the board are confident that we have a very good qb instead of the debates we engage in here on a daily basis. This gets old.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

If by held out hope you mean laughed and mocked anyone who dared question his ability and role on this team, then I agree. 

I think you might actually be the culprit who keeps jinxing every one of our players and seasons. Everything you say turns out the opposite. 

1772267470_tenor(3).gif.4a43b643efffb2853b042b5c1da6dd75.gif

• Haha 1

Probably should have traded him last year, when it was clear he didn't have a role with the Jets and there was trade interest from other teams.

I think it will be harder to move him now, and the compensation will be lower, but JD does have a talent for maximising trade value so we will see.

He got a 4th rounder for Herndon and a 6th, FFS! Maybe he can do something similar with Mims.

• Upvote 3

The most disturbing part about the trade request is the statement that JD said he would not release him.    So we are going to cut someone good to keep Mims to save face?

Just auction him off.  We can’t Have him end up on the Ravens or Browns and have Mims beat us.  JD would get fired.  That is why you trade him.  That is why the 49ers are trying to trade JG-so he does not end up on the Seahawks too early. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Thank you Adam Gase!  Thank you!!

The Thanks really goes to MAC.  He and Idzik left this team ripped with NO talent.  That said....  no draft was worse than JD's 1st and while he has done a few good things, 2022 draft looks good but if ZW doesn't pan out, we are looking at another 2-3 years of less than 8 wins.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Exactly. Look at the rams and cards. Both busted on qbs and rebounded pretty fast. Back when top 10 picks were paid crazy amounts of guaranteed money it hurt a lot more. 

So they didn't draft a safety when they were playing a journeyman like Mac did??? :)

Both Darnold and Wilson fell into our laps and we were so desperate for a QB we had no choice.

If ZW busts we must look at ourselves. We haven't developed a QB in maybe forever.  The last true durable QB was O'Brien?  Can that be accurate.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yup.

They should fire a HC after one season.  It’s how all the great orgs are run.  

Great organizations aren't great because they don't fire people. They are great because they hire the right people to begin with.

You are conflating correlation and causation.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1