P Matt Araiza Released by Bills (8/27) after being accused of rape with an underage girl

4 hours ago, Cyberjet said:

Araiza is not subject to punishment from the NFL because the alleged assault happened before he was drafted. Alleged misconduct that occurs before a player enters the NFL is not included in the terms of the league's Personal Conduct Policy agreed to by the players union.

This will fall solely on the hands of Bills

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-punter-matt-araiza-accused-of-rape-in-civil-lawsuit-in-california/article_171ae48a-24c9-11ed-b936-13efce9cffa9.html

BS, Goodell has to drop the hammer on Buffalo if they don't cut him.  

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Why are you so upset? 

No one is twisting anything - we are just commenting on how strange it is that the Bills would take a chance on this guy at all. 

Take a chill pill. 

I’m not mad why be mad over donkey land drama? 

this is egg on the upstate donkeys face not the NYJ

im just responding to you saying how strange it is, when we live in a world where corporations do and say boneheaded things all the time and have to pay out $ or issue apology’s 

this is nothing new and it goes back to my original point of this being about $ and people who can generate it

Again no anger in these words 

• Sympathy 1

I resisted commenting on this thread because it could take as little as a few days before details come out that are damning or cast a shadow of a doubt on the accusation. 

It doesn't need to be said that the act he was accused of calls for the harshest of criminal penalties. We should probably put a lid on this until we get more details. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I’m not mad why be mad over donkey land drama? 

this is egg on the upstate donkeys face not the NYJ

im just responding to you saying how strange it is, when we live in a world where corporations do and say boneheaded things all the time and have to pay out $ or issue apology’s 

this is nothing new and it goes back to my original point of this being about $ and people who can generate it

Again no anger in these words 

Ok, well, I guess I'm just surprised that Buffalo's organization was this tone deaf. 

But I guess you are right - organizations make big mistakes like this all the time. 

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

i have to say Bills fans seem to be more human and asking for him to be cut. Unlike browns fans who have completely given up any moral standing to finally win a few games.

We have no idea if Araiza is innocent or guilty but we live in a country where you're supposed to be presumed innocent.

Meanwhile, how many Jet fans on this forum were salivating at the idea of trading for Tyreek Hill, despite there being video of his incident.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We have no idea if Araiza is innocent or guilty but we live in a country where you're supposed to be presumed innocent.

Meanwhile, how many Jet fans on this forum were salivating at the idea of trading for Tyreek Hill, despite there being video of his incident.

Well sadly we tend to justify someone's actions or convince ourselves of his innocence if he's more crucial to our team winning. It's easier for Bills fans to condemn this guy because he's a punter and we don't want anything ******* with our feel good vibes before the season. Would we be so quick to call for a cut if Josh Allen were accused of something? I'm not so sure.

It goes back to what I said about the way teams generally deal with this stuff. So often 2nd stringers or scrubs get cut for DUI or similar cases, but we rarely hear about them because the player isn't a big name. Team are always quick to cut these guys and then spout the usual "we don't condone such behavior" BS. When it's a big name like Watson or Peterson or Hill they're a lot slower to act, and fans are a lot more likely to forgive and forget.

When Watson got his original 6 game suspension there were so many Browns fans on social media saying "there it is, no let's move on". Pretty disgusting really

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

Would we be so quick to call for a cut if Josh Allen were accused of something? I'm not so sure.

Agreed.  I am pretty sure actually.  People would be a lot more patient waiting for evidence.

That aside, though, it bothers me a lot when people automatically just think "he's guilty".  Do people have no memory of the Duke Lacrosse case? 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

no

image.thumb.png.9492ab8e8c22ebed939eb171ca67a2e7.png

3 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

no

image.thumb.png.9492ab8e8c22ebed939eb171ca67a2e7.png

That's suspicious but still doesn't prove anything.  For example, maybe they did have sex but it was consensual.  It's possible there was a frame-up (e.g. maybe she threatened to make up a story about him if he didn't pay her money) and he suspected he was being set up so he said he didn't remember anything as a way of protecting himself.

In addition to Duke lacrosse, Michael Irvin was once also falsely accused of rape (see link below).  Considering we live in a "believe all women" era, it only makes it that much easier to accuse a man of anything. 

I'm not saying she's lying btw.  I'm just saying we shouldn't jump to conclusions before the facts are in.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-sb-lauderdale-michael-irvin-rape-case-dropped-20170724-story.html

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That's suspicious but still doesn't prove anything.  For example, maybe they did have sex but it was consensual.  It's possible there was a frame-up (e.g. maybe she threatened to make up a story about him if he didn't pay her money) and he suspected he was being set up so he said he didn't remember anything as a way of protecting himself.

In addition to Duke lacrosse, Michael Irvin was once also falsely accused of rape (see link below).  Considering we live in a "believe all women" era, it only makes it that much easier to accuse a man of anything. 

I'm not saying she's lying btw.  I'm just saying we shouldn't jump to conclusions before the facts are in.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-sb-lauderdale-michael-irvin-rape-case-dropped-20170724-story.html

you can't have consensual sex with a minor, that's not a thing.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Okay....Not trying to stir the pot.  The people involved cannot be tried in the court of public opinion.  So . . . justice system, do your thing, and for God's sake, do it right if those accused are indeed guilty!

THAT SAID:

WHY, in 2022, are we STILL having issues figuring this out?  Perhaps this can be posted elsewhere, but its really simple:

IF it looks like intimacy with a partner is moving toward a 'thumbs up,' ASK the partner if they are interested.  

1) IF they say yes, proceed.

2) IF they do NOT say yes, DO NOT PROCEED.

3) IF you do not ask question 1, DO NOT TOUCH your partner until you do!

4) IF they are not of age to have consensual sex, THEN WAIT UNTIL THEY ARE TO ASK QUESTION 1!

I mean, really.  How hard is this to understand?  

28 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

you can't have consensual sex with a minor, that's not a thing.

HONEST QUESTION: What if both people are minors?  I don't think they charge either.  Obviously different story when one is a minor and one is not.  

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

Okay....Not trying to stir the pot.  The people involved cannot be tried in the court of public opinion.  So . . . justice system, do your thing, and for God's sake, do it right if those accused are indeed guilty!

THAT SAID:

WHY, in 2022, are we STILL having issues figuring this out?  Perhaps this can be posted elsewhere, but its really simple:

IF it looks like intimacy with a partner is moving toward a 'thumbs up,' ASK the partner if they are interested.  

1) IF they say yes, proceed.

2) IF they do NOT say yes, DO NOT PROCEED.

3) IF you do not ask question 1, DO NOT TOUCH your partner until you do!

I mean, really.  How hard is this to understand?  

Agreed ... but this goes WAY BEYOND unconsentual sex with a minor. If the charges prove out ... geez ... read the article.

17 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

HONEST QUESTION: What if both people are minors?  I don't think they charge either.  Obviously different story when one is a minor and one is not.  

Depends on the state. Very different in some places. I believe that in some places that even at the age of consent if it is below 18 or maybe even 18 that it can still be statuary if the older person is above a certain age. For same age I believe it can still be considered illegal even for the guy.

18 hours ago, nycdan said:

This is blowing up right now.  The Bills apparently knew about it before they cut Haack.

They tweeted that they conducted a 'thorough investigation'.  That's going to look really bad by tomorrow as the anecdotal story is piling up to look really bad.  Even if just statutory rape, it's a felony and I saw a tweet (blue check) that he admitted it on a call with her recorded by the police.  But what I'm seeing on Twitter (admittedly not verified) makes it look like it's going to be a lot worse than that.

Huh?  Why wasn’t he arrested immediately?

40 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Agreed ... but this goes WAY BEYOND unconsentual sex with a minor. If the charges prove out ... geez ... read the article.

The university should be held accountable.  But this is NOT surprising in the least. Places that make LOTS of money don't like egg on their faces, and do everything they can to make sure it stays clean.

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

I don’t understand why he wouldn’t have been arrested after 7 months if what was written is true. Even if it isn’t true it’s still statutory rape since Arizona’s age of consent is 18. 

California but same thing.  There's enough bad optics to go around on this.  SDSU, local police, BUF front office.  You know how the Internet gets with this kind of stuff.  It won't let up until heads roll (as they almost certainly should).

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

California but same thing.  There's enough bad optics to go around on this.  SDSU, local police, BUF front office.  You know how the Internet gets with this kind of stuff.  It won't let up until heads roll (as they almost certainly should).

Does California still charge people with crimes? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

So the guy saying we should wait for all the facts can't be bothered to read the ones we know... 

Correct.  I'm not an expert on this case.  But people seem to be jumping to conclusions before the guy has even been tried.  There were plenty of disturbing signs in the Duke lacrosse case before the trial too.  One player sent a "damning email" about killing strippers.  But it turned out to be a quote from the movie "American Psycho".

https://www.businessinsider.com/espn-30for30-documentary-duke-lacrosse-scandal-2016-3?op=1#maybe-the-most-telling-quote-in-the-entire-documentary-comes-when-a-reporter-for-a-durham-newspaper-is-asked-the-simple-question-how-did-this-happen-his-silence-is-deafening-13

image.png.5eb4dde421630ad927655e0cb321a9f4.png

image.png.10241769622438e916e1bdbf2836d73f.png

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  I am pretty sure actually.  People would be a lot more patient waiting for evidence.

That aside, though, it bothers me a lot when people automatically just think "he's guilty".  Do people have no memory of the Duke Lacrosse case? 

Duke case was different. It was primarily racial with the media and politicians trying to destroy those kids. Plus it was all fabricated. 

This case has a statutory rape angle so it doesn’t make a bit of difference whether it was consensual. 

Now if none of this happened then that’s a whole different story but I don’t think that’s the case 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

These things are always tough in the beginning. When it comes to privileged athletes, I tend to believe the accuser. He’ll get his day in court when this all plays out. I know that’s backwards and I understand anyone being bothered by that pov. For me, it’s not an issue of forgetting the Duke Lacrosse case, it’s remembering the Brock Turner case. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Correct.  I'm not an expert on this case.  But people seem to be jumping to conclusions before the guy has even been tried.  There were plenty of disturbing signs in the Duke lacrosse case before the trial too.  One player sent a "damning email" about killing strippers.  But it turned out to be a quote from the movie "American Psycho".

https://www.businessinsider.com/espn-30for30-documentary-duke-lacrosse-scandal-2016-3?op=1#maybe-the-most-telling-quote-in-the-entire-documentary-comes-when-a-reporter-for-a-durham-newspaper-is-asked-the-simple-question-how-did-this-happen-his-silence-is-deafening-13

image.png.5eb4dde421630ad927655e0cb321a9f4.png

image.png.10241769622438e916e1bdbf2836d73f.png

He admitted he slept with a 17 year old. He’s a criminal who should be cut and arrested 

1 hour ago, Cyberjet said:

Duke case was different. It was primarily racial with the media and politicians trying to destroy those kids. Plus it was all fabricated. 

This case has a statutory rape angle so it doesn’t make a bit of difference whether it was consensual. 

Now if none of this happened then that’s a whole different story but I don’t think that’s the case 

The Durham Prosecutor basically lied to the press too IIRC and the trust level with US institutions was higher back then.  

On 8/25/2022 at 8:05 PM, Larz said:

Lock the thread before I have to hunt someone down and kill them for blaming the girl 

Not blaming the girl, at all, but the image associated with "gang raping an underage girl" may or may not match whatever happened - but that guy is already guilty of the very worst in most people's minds. 

The only lesson is to instill enough character into our sons and daughters to live lives that steer away from dangerous behavior.  

• Upvote 1