Report: Panthers Interested in Dealing for Jets’ Mims

22 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

This team is average at best, these prima-donna's do not get to dictate terms, he is under contract and that's, that. Be a professional. They will carry 6 receivers and 5 will be active every week.  Denzel will be on the outside looking in and The Jets can destroy any credibility he still has with the league.  Bam looks average, kick-off returns against scrubs mean nothing in pre-season.  They will carry 4 TE's and Cager will make it.

Ask your boss to be traded to another group and you will be on the unemployment line, if they do not bow down to your terms.

If he was a professional, he would just do the job asked and shut up.

If he were a cashier at the local supermarket I'd agree.  But he's not.  He's part of a small group of the greatest athletes in the world.  Some fans think he sucks.  He, however, does not believe he sucks.  He's also on a team that runs a system that does not play well to his strengths.  Asking for a deal after busting his ass all off-season and not getting a shot is a completely reasonable thing to do.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 5

28 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

This team is average at best, these prima-donna's do not get to dictate terms, he is under contract and that's, that. Be a professional. They will carry 6 receivers and 5 will be active every week.  Denzel will be on the outside looking in and The Jets can destroy any credibility he still has with the league.  Bam looks average, kick-off returns against scrubs mean nothing in pre-season.  They will carry 4 TE's and Cager will make it.

Ask your boss to be traded to another group and you will be on the unemployment line, if they do not bow down to your terms.

If he was a professional, he would just do the job asked and shut up.

nah - I would rather keep Bam and cut Mims...agree to disagree

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If he were a cashier at the local supermarket I'd agree.  But he's not.  He's part of a small group of the greatest athletes in the world.  Some fans think he sucks.  He, however, does not believe he sucks.  He's also on a team that runs a system that does not play well to his strengths.  Asking for a deal after busting his ass all off-season and not getting a shot is a completely reasonable thing to do.

He may be a great athlete, but a terrible football player and he has done nothing. If he was a 3 time pro bowler, fine complain. He has done nada. I am pretty sure the owner of the Panthers will not allow a trade for a mal-content, especially after the Darnold trade. Rhule has no room to do stupid things at this point. He is on the hot seat. Tepper will not allow this to happen. JD will have to con another team.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Dunnie said:

Denzel Mims is not a malcontent by any means. Seems like a good kid who made some mistakes during the regime change (thinking he had arrived) . I don't blame hime for wanting a new start on a team that might be a better fit, and his agent is doing his best. All reports say Mims is trying hard.

This is NOT a Jamal Adams situation.

Yes, its not a Jamal situation, he could actually play. If The Jets get anything for Denzel, it would be highway robbery.

7 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

He may be a great athlete, but a terrible football player and he has done nothing. If he was a 3 time pro bowler, fine complain. He has done nada. I am pretty sure the owner of the Panthers will not allow a trade for a mal-content, especially after the Darnold trade. Rhule has no room to do stupid things at this point. He is on the hot seat. Tepper will not allow this to happen. JD will have to con another team.

You believe he sucks.  He does not believe he sucks.  Whose assessment do you think he's more likely to act upon?  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

You believe he sucks.  He does not believe he sucks.  Whose assessment do you think he's more likely to act upon?  

The Jets feel he does not have it between the ears for this league, or The Jets would not have brought in Davis and drafted Elijah. The stupid lining up penalties are proof enough. I am sure he is a great person, he can get in the gym and run sprints all he wants and get his body in the ultimate shape. Can he play football in the NFL? At this point the answer is no.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, AFJF said:

Or...they drafted him to play in a different offense and he's as terrible fit for this one so they've gone out and added players who fit the scheme.

Ok, then square peg in a round hole, but if you have the smarts, then you should be able to play in any system. He is a go route, 50/50 guy. He just does not have the tools (between the ears) for the NFL. Let him whine about a trade. The Jets wide-out group was decimated for most of the year last year and he still could not step up. Black, Alexander and Smith were playing before him. There was a reason he fell to The Jets in the draft.

• Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

All I heard from this offseason is how hard Mims is working; came into camp in his best shape ever; even working hard in ST. He isn't moping or pouting. He is being honest with himself and trying to save his career. Between history, a couple bad years and that fact that he was drafted for a. different HC/offense, he has little chance of getting much if any playing time here. Without playing time he will not get better and will not have a career when his 4 years are over.

I realize that there is a ton of hate for this kid. But these guys do not get to pick where they go; they have no real negotiating power and they are locked for 4 years. He could have pouted, but he worked his butt off both prior to and during TC. Why shouldn't he ask to be moved to a team where he has a better shot? The system is rigged against these types of players and he politely and apparently respectfully requested a change of scenery. I think more people should consider this kid, yes he is still in his 20s, is just asking for a chance for a better career. I choose to pick a more compassionate approach.

I have zero hate for him, I wanted him bad in the draft. He just does not have the mind to be a top 3 WR on the depth chart.

Then he gets a chance to show up against the Colts last year, Johnson hits him right in the hands and he drops it in the endzone.

Once again, anything The Jets get for him is a bonus. The 2020 draft class may go down in history, as bad as the Idzik 12. Only thing saving it at the moment is Bryce Hall and Mann.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Do they have any young linebackers or safties? If not the price is a 3rd minimum. They know him, they want him, and they can pay for him. How about a second for Mims and a fifth or a fourth going back to them... He has star potential and just has to get his sh*t straight which his previous coach probably thinks he can help him with. Now that he's asked for a trade he should keep his head down, his mouth shut, and work hard so that he can be traded. If he tries shooting his way out I'd let him rot on the bench or trade him to the sh*ttiest team for pennies on the dollar and make a case study out of him for any other low performing nobodies who want to run their mouth. 

5 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

Ok, then square peg in a round hole, but if you have the smarts, then you should be able to play in any system. He is a go route, 50/50 guy. He just does not have the tools (between the ears) for the NFL. Let him whine about a trade. The Jets wide-out group was decimated for most of the year last year and he still could not step up. Black, Alexander and Smith were playing before him. There was a reason he fell to The Jets in the draft.

You're suggesting can overcome physical attributes that don't fit a system by being smarter?  So if a coordinator wants bigger bodied receivers who can box out DB's, then somebody like Braxton Berrios should just be smart enough to do that?  The Jets adding guys like Moore and Wilson to give them smaller/quicker receivers means that at 6' 3'' Denzel Mims should be smart enough to run like he's 5' 10''?  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

You're suggesting can overcome physical attributes that don't fit a system by being smarter?  So if a coordinator wants bigger bodied receivers who can box out DB's, then somebody like Braxton Berrios should just be smart enough to do that?  The Jets adding guys like Moore and Wilson to give them smaller/quicker receivers means that at 6' 3'' Denzel Mims should be smart enough to run like he's 5' 10''?  

Absolutely, physically he is an NFL player. Mentally he is still playing against UPS and future insurance salespeople in college.

I always hear on here that the coaches need to make the system for the players they have. What is different about Davis and Mims physically? I don't see much difference. So what is the difference? It has to be the mental aspect.

8 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Do they have any young linebackers or safties? If not the price is a 3rd minimum. They know him, they want him, and they can pay for him. How about a second for Mims and a fifth or a fourth going back to them... He has star potential and just has to get his sh*t straight which his previous coach probably thinks he can help him with. Now that he's asked for a trade he should keep his head down, his mouth shut, and work hard so that he can be traded. If he tries shooting his way out I'd let him rot on the bench or trade him to the sh*ttiest team for pennies on the dollar and make a case study out of him for any other low performing nobodies who want to run their mouth. 

Not hating on Denzel as by all accounts he worked hard in the off season and I really thought he has the talent to be Al Toon lite but dam between the drops the inability to line up correctly and some dumb play on special teams just don’t think he can cut it with the system LaFleur runs I would be happy if the Jets got a couple of cans of Play Dough for him

Don’t think the Jets can get a third round pick for Mims but hey JD got a fifth for Cashman so you never know 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

Absolutely, physically he is an NFL player. Mentally he is still playing against UPS and future insurance salespeople in college.

I always hear on here that the coaches need to make the system for the players they have. What is different about Davis and Mims physically? I don't see much difference. So what is the difference? It has to be the mental aspect.

Teams should just start signing and drafting random players if that's the case.

"We know you're usually a 195lb punter, but we're gonna move you to left tackle.  It may sound like a lot, but just concentrate and you'll be fine"

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Teams should just start signing and drafting random players if that's the case.

"We know you're usually a 195lb punter, but we're gonna move you to left tackle.  It may sound like a lot, but just concentrate and you'll be fine"

I could get behind the argument that the Jets coaching staff deserves some blame for failing to develop this guy, but it's hard to excuse the penalties (and, to a lesser extent, the drops). It does feel like he hasn't made the most of his opportunities. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

All I heard from this offseason is how hard Mims is working; came into camp in his best shape ever; even working hard in ST. He isn't moping or pouting. He is being honest with himself and trying to save his career. Between history, a couple bad years and that fact that he was drafted for a. different HC/offense, he has little chance of getting much if any playing time here. Without playing time he will not get better and will not have a career when his 4 years are over.

I realize that there is a ton of hate for this kid. But these guys do not get to pick where they go; they have no real negotiating power and they are locked for 4 years. He could have pouted, but he worked his butt off both prior to and during TC. Why shouldn't he ask to be moved to a team where he has a better shot? The system is rigged against these types of players and he politely and apparently respectfully requested a change of scenery. I think more people should consider this kid, yes he is still in his 20s, is just asking for a chance for a better career. I choose to pick a more compassionate approach.

I doubt it's hate as most people don't care enough once the game is over. It's more likely vocalizing disappointment. For instance I'm annoyed about the wasted time and resources, but I wouldn't spit on the kid. I supported him since he was drafted. However, even with a depleted wr core he couldn't make an impact even when he did get to the field. Untimely drops and penalties became his routine. All the news you heard about him getting it together (year 3) could have been media fluff trying to build up his trade value, and everything you mentioned that he started doing he should have already been doing. With regard to ones performance in a work environment compassion is for the weak and under-performing. Especially when employed by that professions pinnacle (NFL). If he wants something better he should work for it as the Jets would have probably traded him already if they thought they could, but that isn't going to happen if all he does is get penalized and drop passes.

the karate kid GIF