Jump to content

Garrett Wilson usage


Rhg1084
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, slimjasi said:

Wilson is going to be used more on the outside than in the slot 

Wilson will be getting plenty of reps 

I was implying that maybe Elijah would be our slot guy in 3 WR sets. But it’ll definitely be Berrios. And CD is playing every snap 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It could be the Jets are just not using him as much in preseason (on purpose) because they intend to use him as a key weapon in offense during regular season and don’t want to tip it off to the Ravens. All the evaluations you hear about him are impact player. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Not writing him off, just seems he’s buried on the depth chart 

If reports that he has amazing ability to get separation and makes incredible catches are true, and his hands aren't suspect like other reports, he will get a ton of looks. Berrios won't be what stops him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, pointman said:

If reports that he has amazing ability to get separation and makes incredible catches are true, and his hands aren't suspect like other reports, he will get a ton of looks. Berrios won't be what stops him.

He’s behind CD on depth chart tho

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I was implying that maybe Elijah would be our slot guy in 3 WR sets. But it’ll definitely be Berrios. And CD is playing every snap 

I think you will see Wilson predominantly subbing in for E Moore and CD on the outside early in the season and used occasionally in the slot.

but he will get meaningful reps and targets 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, undertow said:

People need to stop worrying about how many yards players are gonna get and if they are WR1 or 4, they will rotate guys and everyone will get plenty of touches.

It’s just unusual a WR drafted 10th overall isn’t immediately giving a starting position. I guess it’s a good problem to have 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

It’s just unusual a WR drafted 10th overall isn’t immediately giving a starting position. I guess it’s a good problem to have 

Exactly - good problem to have. We have a legitimately deep WR room. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

It’s just unusual a WR drafted 10th overall isn’t immediately giving a starting position. I guess it’s a good problem to have 

Why would you hand anyone a starting spot.  Sauce was the 4th pick and he wasnt handed a spot.  He had to beat out the 2 guys in front of him.  He did.

Wilson has 2 wrs in front of him in Davis and Moore and did not beat them out.

Wilson was never competing for the slot position.  That position wasnt open as berrios owns it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Why would you hand anyone a starting spot.  Sauce was the 4th pick and he wasnt handed a spot.  He had to beat out the 2 guys in front of him.  He did.

Wilson has 2 wrs in front of him in Davis and Moore and did not beat them out.

Wilson was never competing for the slot position.  That position wasnt open as berrios owns it.

I thought maybe they’d use Elijah in the slot and GW on the outside in 3 WR sets. But it seems apparent Berrios has the slot job locked up. That’s why I’m interested to see what type of snap count GW gets. I don’t see it being a lot of snaps. And cmon, any high profile WR drafted high is starting. Do you see Drake London, Chris Olave, or Jameson Williams buried on depth charts? They’re all starting 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

I thought maybe they’d use Elijah in the slot and GW on the outside in 3 WR sets. But it seems apparent Berrios has the slot job locked up. That’s why I’m interested to see what type of snap count GW gets. I don’t see it being a lot of snaps. And cmon, any high profile WR drafted high is starting. Do you see Drake London, Chris Olave, or Jameson Williams buried on depth charts? They’re all starting 

Wilson isn’t “buried” though - he’s getting reps and targets. He will play meaningful snaps from the get go. 
 

He’s looked good in camp and a couple of the Jets QBs have singled him out for looking like a good player early. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I thought maybe they’d use Elijah in the slot and GW on the outside in 3 WR sets. But it seems apparent Berrios has the slot job locked up. That’s why I’m interested to see what type of snap count GW gets. I don’t see it being a lot of snaps. And cmon, any high profile WR drafted high is starting. Do you see Drake London, Chris Olave, or Jameson Williams buried on depth charts? They’re all starting 

If any of those receivers had corey davis and elijah moore in front of them, no they would not start.

Again, wilson is going to rotate in with davis and moore.  Any when guys start getting nicked up. he will play even more.

And olave is not starting.  He behind landry and michael thomas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If any of those receivers had corey davis and elijah moore in front of them, no they would not start.

Again, wilson is going to rotate in with davis and moore.  Any when guys start getting nicked up. he will play even more.

And olave is not starting.  He behind landry and michael thomas.

Na Landry is slot, Olave has a starting spot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

It’s a shame but I don’t see him getting a lot of snaps. Berrios is the starting slot 

Justin Jefferson didn't start week 1 of his rookie year. I wonder if there were vikings fans that thought  Bisi Johnson was going to start 16 weeks....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

It could be the Jets are just not using him as much in preseason (on purpose) because they intend to use him as a key weapon in offense during regular season and don’t want to tip it off to the Ravens. All the evaluations you hear about him are impact player. 

Exactly.

Got a lot of people in this forum who, presumably, have watched a lot of football but still don't seem to understand that preseason games MEAN NOTHING!!!

If anything, generally speaking, the more reps a player gets in preseason, the more questions the coaching staff has about them.  And the staff is using preseason games to evaluate the player and answer those questions.  

If you base things on reps, it would appear that Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are going to be back-ups this year since they hardly played in preseason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could if possibly be the reason Wilson didn’t play all that much is because the coaching staff wanted to see more of Mims , Smith , Cager etc to see who will make the roster. We all know Wilson is not getting cut but the other guys who knows who is going to stay 

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BigGreenFan said:

Exactly.

Got a lot of people in this forum who, presumably, have watched a lot of football but still don't seem to understand that preseason games MEAN NOTHING!!!

If anything, generally speaking, the more reps a player gets in preseason, the more questions the coaching staff has about them.  And the staff is using preseason games to evaluate the player and answer those questions.  

If you base things on reps, it would appear that Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are going to be back-ups this year since they hardly played in preseason.

Preseason means nothing in many ways, but it also means a lot. People who can't catch, can't block, can't find the hole (thats what she said), are all issues. Non-issues are running the wrong assignment, not blocking down, and making the wrong read. So yeah, preseason is both. When someone throws for 300 yards on the other teams twos it means nothing. If he can't hit the side of a barn its a problem. Cool? Cool. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He will quickly pass Berrios and CD for that matter, and I'm someone who likes both.

Resigning Berrios was a move for Zach's Development. 

Honestly when I saw how chummy Berrios was with ZW from day one I was was like "you sly devil" got in early and built rapport with Zach on and off the field... on top of that plays special teams ... even if hes not a world beater he knows how to provide value  and insulate himself... I like that.

That being said,  he's  no Garret Wilson....

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...