MIMS

If you think he was a 2nd round talent who needed to mature it's dumb to give him away.  He may well be on a path to be better than Davis.  Douglas drafted him I'm sure the Jets are thinking about it.  I expect we get a 5th or maybe a conditional 4 for him.  Might want to keep him.  He's pushed himself and he wants to play.   The guy is cheap as could be and might be a late bloomer. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

I’m sorry has talent ever been the problem with Mims? Because I thought it was lack of discipline and football IQ. He did his job today, stayed disciplined and avoided his usual dumb mistakes and the result was a great performance. There’s no way to put a negative spin on this unless you’re rooting against him just so your criticism and hate can feel more validated.

And played specials on punt and kickoffs........

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Whether you're rooting for Mims to burn in hell, or a burn a DB on sunday...

Facts: 

• Corey Davis has been injury prone his whole career
  • Moore was out for a bunch of games
  • Wilson is a Rookie

Put it into perspective would I personally find room for him and Cager... 17 games is a looooooooong season

You F*CKING bet i kept Strefoski!! 

You have to be a real balanced fan with a stable personality to have a take like this. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, derp said:

If you have a “younger guy” in mind, there’s a very real chance he’s older than Mims. Jackson and Charles are both 25.

Okay, "different" guy.   I'm not going to harp on this any longer.  It's just my opinion that the team could do better than Mims.   Whether that player is on the roster right now or, on other team's cut list, or from a trade is to be determined.  I just think it's silly that after all this time of Mims being a non-entity, after a game against scrubs, folks are somehow all in on Mims potential.   Good luck.   

30 minutes ago, undertow said:

Mims played well today perfect time to get a 3rd or 4th instead of a 6th.

Mims certainly increased his value today.  Good for Mims, and good for the Jets.

What happens now is anyones guess.  If I were the GM, he either now makes the roster or gets traded.  I have been arguing for the last couple of days that he is no better than a 5th round draft pick, but after today, I think he moves up to a 4th rounder.  If Joe Douglas can do better than a 4th rounder, than he will continue to be a magician.  Who knows, maybe he gets his shot at being one of the 47 on game day?  And if he did, I will be rooting like hell that he does great and helps the Jets win.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

13 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Interesting that coach said "6 best" implying the Jets will keep.6 WRs

Jeff Smith or Irving Charles could be #6  or maybe Cager counts as a WR in that plan

Kinda like this Irving Charles guy.   Mims the 2nd rounder doesn’t seem materially better than Charles 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Okay, "different" guy.   I'm not going to harp on this any longer.  It's just my opinion that the team could do better than Mims.   Whether that player is on the roster right now or, on other team's cut list, or from a trade is to be determined.  I just think it's silly that after all this time of Mims being a non-entity, after a game against scrubs, folks are somehow all in on Mims potential.   Good luck.   

So you're taking the position that a WR cannot improve after his 1st two seasons.  If he's not a star by then, he never will be.

Just want to be clear on that before I bore you with a list of WRs who were terrible for 2 or more seasons before going on to become stars (and in some cases HoFers).  

• Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Interesting that coach said "6 best" implying the Jets will keep.6 WRs

Jeff Smith or Irving Charles could be #6  or maybe Cager counts as a WR in that plan

Saying he’s one of the best 6 doesn’t confirm this. It just makes teams have to guess. It’s about trade leverage/value at this point.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So you're taking the position that a WR cannot improve after his 1st two seasons.  If he's not a star by then, he never will be.

Just want to be clear on that before I bore you with a list of WRs who were terrible for 2 or more seasons before going on to become stars (and in some cases HoFers).  

3yr WR rule is real.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The guys been sick, been injured and needed to mature.  Hopefully he’s done that.  Even his request th be traded showed professionalism - I just want to play.   They should keep him and I think they will.  If it were me, I’d trade Corey Davis if there’s a market for him.  They probably won’t but no way, they’ll pay Davis in 2023.  I expect Mims is insurance this year and starts in 2023.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Still think he has a place on this team and could be very valuable for the Jets next year as a Corey Davis replacement.  I think he has the tools to be a key WR for the Jets moving forward, but it’s all on him. 

I still have to question his work ethic and desire from all the reports over the last year+ about not knowing the plays etc etc. 

Its great that he balled out today, but he personally had a lot on the line.  Playing for a roster spot and/or putting plays on film to get him a spot somewhere else.  Reminds me a lot of guys who show out in contract years.  

Only time will tell. 

• Sympathy 2

Just now, nycdan said:

Just want to be clear on that before I bore you with a long list of WRs who were terrible for 2 or more seasons before going on to become stars (and in some cases HoFers).  

It's not just me questioning Mims' ability/potential.  Last year, Mims could not see the field because routes, blocking assignments, ability to comprehend the offense were beyond him.  That's not my opinion, but that of Saleh and LaFleur.  That wasn't just surprising.  It was shocking and inexcusable.

Even this preseason, where was Mims?   Even after all the supposed off-season work, not playing with the first team.?  Mainly against the JV.  Again, not my decision.  The coaches made the choice.  That shouldn't be concerning for a third year player?

After today, you want to believe Mims has turned a corner?  Fine.   Awesome even.   That's your prerogative.   I don't believe it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

It's not just me questioning Mims' ability/potential.  Last year, Mims could not see the field because routes, blocking assignments, ability to comprehend the offense were beyond him.  That's not my opinion, but that of Saleh and LaFleur.  That wasn't just surprising.  It was shocking and inexcusable.

Even this preseason, where was Mims?   Even after all the supposed off-season work, not playing with the first team.?  Mainly against the JV.  Again, not my decision.  The coaches made the choice.  That shouldn't be concerning for a third year player?

After today, you want to believe Mims has turned a corner?  Fine.   Awesome even.   That's your prerogative.   I don't believe it.

If the Jets don't feel he's good enough, I'll support that, regardless of what I may be hoping for.  But calling for them to cut a guy on the heels of a 7/7 day with a glorious TD catch is petty.  Admit he looked good today and say you don't think it will stick into the season if you must.  But guys do turn it around.  Take a look at the start of Cris Carter's career.  Or Roddy White.  Or Jordy Nelson.  You would have wanted to cut them as well.  Not saying Mims will turn out like that, but there's a reason GMs wait on some guys.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If the Jets don't feel he's good enough, I'll support that, regardless of what I may be hoping for.  But calling for them to cut a guy on the heels of a 7/7 day with a glorious TD catch is petty.  Admit he looked good today and say you don't think it will stick into the season if you must.  But guys do turn it around.  Take a look at the start of Cris Carter's career.  Or Roddy White.  Or Jordy Nelson.  You would have wanted to cut them as well.  Not saying Mims will turn out like that, but there's a reason GMs wait on some guys.  

And if Wayne Chrebet didn't have the 4th preseason game in his rookie year, he even said that he would not have made the team, and thus, never be in the Jets Ring of Honor as he now is.  Hey, you never know!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1