Mac Jones not fully “prepared” for year 2

Rhg1084

45 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Watch Jets cut Streveler and he becomes a star in NE 

If this post would have ended with "and takes them to the AFCC this year"

I would have replied that's a very Jetsy thing to say and almost certain to happen..?

38 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Josh mcdaniels is one of the best OC in the NFL.  He doesnt really get the publicity guys like Ried, Shanahan, or Mcvay do because his offense isnt really sexy, but he consistently turns out a way above competent offense with usually subpar talent.  

I was shocked Belicheck didnt immediately hire his old buddy Bill Obrien away from Alabama to run the offense, it would have made so much more sense than what he is currently doing just bringing his old cronies back in to piece it together.  Its already looking like a move thats going to have significant ramifications to Jones and the entire offense. 

Looking at his draft and how this O is shaping up (been hearing this since June that Mac looks awful), O would bet BB retires after this season and gets a job as a studio consultant for Amazon. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

It's a weird way of framing the critique.  He's not prepared to play in the NFL this year but he was as a rookie?  lol  Pretty nonsensical honestly.  Maybe better stated by saying, Mac is struggling to pick up an offense that doesnt have an identity.  But being prepared?  Seems like this is more of a criticism of the Patriots coaching staff and lack of cohesion rather than Mac Jones being prepared.

The loss of Joshy could be big for the Pats.

Totally agree. Him not being prepared is on him and that is what the title makes it sound like. When you read their note though, it sounds more like having a special teams coach and a defensive coordinator take over the offense might be a bad idea. That is on the team. Who knew?  lol.

• Upvote 2

What a weird decision at OC. Either Belichick thinks McDaniels is coming back and doesn't want to fill the position or Belichick knows time is winding down and he's giving his remaining two big disciplines some OC experience to move on before Belichick splits town. Either way it feels like he's already committed to a losing season.

• Upvote 1

I think Jones is a solid player, but I don't get what the Pats are trying to do with their offensive personnel. I don't get not investing heavily in skill-position players in 2022, especially when you have a young QB. 

The offensive coaching staff shenanigans are weird, but I'm trying to give BB the benefit of the doubt on that - I won't pretend to know what Matt Patricia and Joe Judge know about offense. However, it's hard to imagine that either of those guys are an upgrade from Josh McDaniels. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

As long as Kraft is breathing the beast is still lurking... deepest pockets of all ... and I fear his spawn could be far far more deadly.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Deep pockets and willing to pay players under the table 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I've always wondered how often this happens in the NFL. 

It seems to me it would be pretty easy to get away with, but the downside of getting caught is also pretty huge. 

Yeah, true. As far as Pats go there is the known way (paying Brady’s nutrition company to consult with the team) and the conspiratorial (verbal agreement to make Brady whole with a “personal services” contract with the team after retirement, or even an ownership stake).

Not a big conspiracy guy in general but… when it comes to the Pats, I believe lol.

reptilian dollar bill GIF by G1ft3d

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, jgb said:

Yeah, true. As far as Pats go there is the known way (paying Brady’s nutrition contract to consult with the team) and the conspiratorial (verbal agreement to make Brady whole with a “personal services” contract with the team after retirement, or even and ownership stake).

No a big conspiracy guy in general but… when it comes to the Pats, I believe lol.

I'm also not a conspiracy guy but wouldn't be shocked at all if a good number of NFL owners get away with this sort of stuff. And I agree that Kraft would be a prime suspect. 

• Upvote 3

wait - I am confused, now we think Mac Jones is struggling? Maybe it was the system and coaching that got him to look better and more prepared than he was? Check out some other threads to see how great Mac Jones really is - and btw his WR suck so it isn't his fault.

Great OL and running game. Great coaching. Everyone around him playing in the same system for 20 years. hmm. Maybe he wasn't a pro-bowl caliper QB after all? We get an entire season to see what he is made of. One reporter in NE said that it was the worst offense he had ever seen.

Yeah, true. As far as Pats go there is the known way (paying Brady’s nutrition company to consult with the team) and the conspiratorial (verbal agreement to make Brady whole with a “personal services” contract with the team after retirement, or even an ownership stake).
Not a big conspiracy guy in general but… when it comes to the Pats, I believe lol.
200.gif
The Gillette record and magical perfectly timed penalties to provide a continued home winning street sealed it for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

Draftkings has a prop to predict the exact order of finish in the AFC East.  I took - 1st Buf, 2nd Mia, 3rd Jets, 4th N.E.

At 20-1 odds, $50 wins me a cool grand if this is how things end.

I'm more concerned that the Jets will end up in 2nd then I am that the Pats won't finish last.  That roster is depleted of talent and Belichick's "greatness" as a coach can't help them.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think Jones is a solid player, but I don't get what the Pats are trying to do with their offensive personnel. I don't get not investing heavily in skill-position players in 2022, especially when you have a young QB. 

The offensive coaching staff shenanigans are weird, but I'm trying to give BB the benefit of the doubt on that - I won't pretend to know what Matt Patricia and Joe Judge know about offense. However, it's hard to imagine that either of those guys are an upgrade from Josh McDaniels. 

I've fallen too many times into the bellitrap...

I've thought we had that guy against the ropes a few times over the decades 

1 minute ago, PorP said:

I've fallen too many times into the bellitrap...

I've thought we had that guy against the ropes a few times over the decades 

Agreed, but he always had #12. 

The reality is that his resume without Brady is pretty ordinary. It's not "terrible" or anything, but it's nothing to write home about. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Getting rid of a former first round WR. Drafting the best third round OL in the late first round. Having a defensive coach and a special teams coach split offensive play-calling duties.

If the Jets had done to a young QB what the Pats have done to Jones, they would have gotten destroyed for setting him up to fail. Not that his ceiling was that high to begin with. I always saw Jones as a high floor/low ceiling QB, and now far more will be asked of him than should be.

Also, Don’t forget how his play totally craters in cold weather and his throws have difficulty navigating when the wind is > 5mph

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Agreed, but he always had #12. 

The reality is that his resume without Brady is pretty ordinary. It's not "terrible" or anything, but it's nothing to write home about. 

Belichick’s winning percentage without Brady (.469) is better than Walsh without Montana/Young (.383).

I hate Belichick but before we dance on the grave, let’s make sure there is a body in it.

• Upvote 4