After a slow start, JD is on a foundation building streak

The Athletic interviewed 26 agents. Thought this was interesting.

10. Among GMs or front-office leaders, whom do you trust the least?

Eagles GM Howie Roseman (four votes)

• “I don’t trust what comes out of his mouth because he lied to me.”

• “I don’t think he’s very transparent. He kind of tells you what you think you want to hear. He does the same thing with the players.”

Jets front office (four votes)

• “I trust them the least, but (GM) Joe Douglas I actually trust as a man. There’s a lot of s— going on in that building, whether it’s (senior director, football administration) Dave Socie or their f—— ownership.”

• “Joe Douglas because he just doesn’t communicate. Just does not communicate at all.”

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 2

Part 2 … on to his recent successes, 

1. Trades, which I won’t go into too much detail on.  The fact is JD has crushed it, allowing us to fix the cap, acquire good players in FA and build draft capital highlighted below.

A huge reason this turnaround has a real chance of working.  Can he keep this streak alive and get a 4th rounder for Mims?  I wouldn’t bet against it.

2. 2021-2022 drafts

After drafting QB Wilson, the Jets have a real chance of hitting on 15 of the next 16 players drafted.  And hitting big in some cases!

Looking like Studs (pro bowl potential):  WR Moore, G AVT, CB Sauce, WR Wilson, RB Hall (who just needs some holes)

Looking like Quality 2022 Starters:  CB Carter II, Edge JJ or Clemons on passing downs

Future Starter:  LB Sherwood, at either Mike or Will.  This one is much needed with Mosley and Alexander likely leaving next year.  At Edge, both JJ & Clemons.  At Safety, I’m betting on Pinnock.  Contingency for Lawson and Joyner

Quality Depth:  RB Carter, CB Echols, S Pinnock, TE Ruckert, OT Mitchell

Haven’t Seen Enough:  DT Marshall who did flash against the Falcons

Potential Cut:  Nasilreen

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

what?

Becton got hurt bro, played good when healthy. not really a drafting problem.

injury is not drafting issue.

I’ll let others respond to this because I agree he has played well in real games when healthy.  

But he was always a boom or bust prospect because of his weight and maturity issues which likely contributed to his failure to get back playing last year and possibly this year’s injury.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I’ll let others respond to this because I agree he has played well in real games when healthy.  

But he was always a boom or bust prospect because of his weight and maturity issues which likely contributed to his failure to get back playing last year and possibly this year’s injury.  

you area allowed to defend yourself. 

glad you agree.

Anyone can get hurt bud.

29 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Let's revisit this post after week 1. 

Fair post.  The roster on paper looks very much improved but as I mentioned in my post, big questions marks in the HC and QB.

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

The Athletic interviewed 26 agents. Thought this was interesting.

10. Among GMs or front-office leaders, whom do you trust the least?

Eagles GM Howie Roseman (four votes)

• “I don’t trust what comes out of his mouth because he lied to me.”

• “I don’t think he’s very transparent. He kind of tells you what you think you want to hear. He does the same thing with the players.”

• “I trust them the least, but (GM) Joe Douglas I actually trust as a man. There’s a lot of s— going on in that building, whether it’s (senior director, football administration) Dave Socie or their f—— ownership.”

• “Joe Douglas because he just doesn’t communicate. Just does not communicate at all.”

Very interesting.  Thanks for adding to the discussion.  Thread admittedly isn’t going to well ;).  Lol

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Part 2 … on to the clearer winning streaks.

1. Trades, which I won’t go into too much detail on.  The fact is JD has crushed it, allowing us to fix the cap, acquire good players in FA and build draft capital highlighted below.

A huge reason this turnaround has a real chance of working.  Can he keep this streak alive and get a 4th rounder for Mims?  I wouldn’t bet against it.

2. 2021-2022 drafts

After drafting QB Wilson, the Jets have a real chance of hitting on 15 of the next 16 players drafted.  And hitting big in some cases!

Looking like Studs (pro bowl potential):  WR Moore, G AVT, CB Sauce, WR Wilson, RB Hall (who just needs some holes)

Looking like Quality 2022 Starters:  CB Carter II, Edge JJ or Clemons on passing downs

Future Starter:  LB Sherwood, at either Mike or Will.  This one is much needed with Mosley and Alexander likely leaving next year.  At Edge, both JJ & Clemons.  At Safety, I’m betting on Pinnock.  Contingency for Lawson and Joyner

Quality Depth:  RB Carter, CB Echols, S Pinnock, TE Ruckert, OT Mitchell

Haven’t Seen Enough:  DT Marshall who did flash against the Falcons

Potential Cut:  Nasilreen

three of your studs haven't played a down of NFL football

his first draft sucked.  second one looks better but depends of course on ZW.  third one looks good on paper.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Woody the London Lacky has cultivated a toxic corporate culture? Shocking.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I'd add waiver wire to the evaluation criteria.  Some wins (both in terms of quality players, and draft resources obtained for former waiver claim players)

Joe D process has been really great.  It's a results business so wins will be ultimately how he gets judged by a large chunk of the fan base. 

I suspect the ownership evaluation process would yield high marks despite the results to date (with wins not being the most heavily weighted factor in the evaluation formula.) 

IMO, his job is much SAFER (even if this year doesn't play out well) than many might think is deserved by record.

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, peebag said:

I believe it was Al Davis who cut through the BS.

"Just win baby"

Indeed.

I think to be on a "winning streak", you have to actually win some games.  Not joking.

At 6-27 as a GM the past two years, I would say there are no "winning streaks" for the GM until we win more games than we lose in a season.

So lets see what 2022 brings.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

How about a foundational building streak 

Foundation building is a better phrase.

Although even that is still very much TBD at almost every position.

We have alot of hope for alot of these kids, but very little proof as yet.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

“Joe Douglas because he just doesn’t communicate. Just does not communicate at all.”

"Yeah, it's crazy.  All he does it send us bad players and take our good Draft picks.  Don't like him at all."

"This is anonymous, right?  Don't share my name.  Gotta run and grab a sandwich in downtown Charlotte now."

4 agents out of 26 polled, out of how many hundreds of agents there are in the NFL?  Hell of a sample size!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

“Joe Douglas because he just doesn’t communicate. Just does not communicate at all.”

"Yeah, it's crazy.  All he does it send us bad players and take our good Draft picks.  Don't like him at all."

"This is anonymous, right?  Don't share my name.  Gotta run and grab a sandwich in downtown Seattle now."

Could be this too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I mean honestly speaking if you look at the paucity of wins and the increasing probability that his 2 biggest picks are busts JD is on very thin ice.

His sole blue ribbon move was trading Jamal Adams for draft picks.

(The thumbs down votes here can only indicate full blown denial of all the objective data, wins, losses, draft results etc. and you are just whistling past the graveyard.)

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1