Jets Cuts to 53: Final List

Rhg1084

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Really surprised by this but just another example of how as fans we know absolutely nothing about what the coaching staff is looking at when evaluating players and how meaningless preseason is from the eye of the spectator.  lol  I would have thought the way he came on last year and play this preseason, he'd be 100% lock.

that could apply to real games too...so why even both having opinion then

• WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think we will.  If someone claims him, he has to go to the active roster.  What team is going to use a roster spot on an unproven QB (no matter how good he looked in the preseason) who has no knowledge of the playbook and has not established any chemistry with WRs. 

I think the possiblity of Streveler being claimed is remote.

If we were playing the Pats in the 1st two weeks, Belichicken would scoop him up, undoubtedly.

43 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

We're only about halfway through with the cuts, but with Pinnock and Parks gone, our safety room is as follows:

Jordan Whitehead
Lamarcus Joyner (often hurt)
Ashtyn Davis (sucks)
Tony Adams (who?)

Someone else is coming in... must be

That is a disgusting Safety depth chart wowzzzzzzzers. Outside of Whitehead oooof

JD and Saleh said that they were  all about player development-I guess not. 

This shows to me that this team is very focused on trying to win THIS YEAR.  The veterans likely are a little better than the younger players THIS YEAR, but next year it could and should be the other way around.  The veterans cost more THIS YEAR.  

Rankins is just a terrible use of cap space.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

JD and Saleh said that they were  all about player development-I guess not

This shows to me that this team is very focused on trying to win THIS YEAR.  The veterans likely are a little better than the younger players THIS YEAR, but next year it could and should be the other way around.  The veterans cost more THIS YEAR.  

I hear what you're saying, but there is probably like an 85-90% chance that most of the guys we cut will be back on the PS. But some of the cuts are surprising, I agree.

Tough business being a wannabe NFL player on the margins.

You know when they put you in preseason games, you could absolutely dominate every single play and still have no chance to make the team.

You go in knowing all you are doing is trying to flash something on tape in order to get that callback for the practice squad where you get a weekly stipend, with a maybe 1% to 10% chance you are one of the lucky ones to get claimed by another team.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, nycdan said:

7 of the 53 we keep won't dress on game day.

16 of the 53 we don't keep will be on the PS and available to elevate to the active roster each week.

The final few we keep versus those we cut are not likely to have any impact on the W/L record this season.  Yes, a few of the guys we release will end up on other teams (which is a novelty around here) but that doesn't mean they are Pro Bowl bound either.  This stuff if very intriguing but ultimately not earth-shattering.

Active (game day) list: If a team has a minimum of eight offensive linemen (primary position being center, offensive guard or offensive tackle) on the active game day roster, the maximum roster size is 48 players. If a team has fewer than eight offensive linemen, the maximum drops to 47.

Active/inactive (53-man roster) list: The active/inactive list remains at 53 players for the regular season and playoffs. However, a team can increase its roster to 54 or 55 players by using the standard elevation addendum (click here for the full explanation) to bring one or two practice squad players to the active/inactive list.

Standard elevation addendum: Now included in all practice squad contracts, the standard elevation addendum allows teams to move a player from the practice squad to the active/inactive list for one week and then back to the practice squad without subjecting him to waivers. Under this addendum, a player reverts back to his team's practice squad on the first business day after the game in which he is elevated. These players receive the applicable minimum salary for a player with his number of credited seasons (prorated for one week of regular season pay or the applicable postseason amount). This clause can be used by a team for a maximum of two regular-season or postseason games per player per season. If the team elevates a player for a third time and the team wishes to move him back to the practice squad, it has to waive or terminate his player contract. If a player is released or clears waivers (whichever is applicable) and he signs a practice squad contract with a new team, he is once again eligible to be elevated for the aforementioned maximum of two games.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, section314 said:

I hear what you're saying, but there is probably like an 85-90% chance that most of the guys we cut will be back on the PS. But some of the cuts are surprising, I agree.

well for sure 16 are coming back or at least there is 16 spots to fill...so some will be back, but which ones are surprising to you? They all makes sense and seem to follow the same logic. Keep the talented on the roster and let up and comers be up and comers on the practice squad.

3 minutes ago, BigB said:

Who is making these decisions? Saleh or JD...what scares me is who still has not been cut yet.

I don't think Salad and Douglas are familiar with the concept of sunk cost fallacy.

They can say whatever they want, but Ashtyn Davis' draft capital is definitely a reason he's still here.

A day 3 pick in Pinnock was less painful for them to flush down the toilet.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

12 minutes ago, varjet said:

JD and Saleh said that they were  all about player development-I guess not. 

Wins looks to be the main priority. There has to be a mandate inside 1 Jets drive. 

• Haha 1