Jets Cuts to 53: Final List

Rhg1084

3 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

We don’t have a FB on the ‘22 roster for our Shanahan-Coaching-Tree-WCO?

I'm wondering - entire speculation here

Maybe they're going to give Rutckert some time at FB. I mean he's unlikely to get a whole lot of reps behind CJ and Conklin.  This would get him on the field.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Any team that wants a guy puts in a claim to the league office.  They are resolved in order.  So if JAX, DET and HOU don't claim a guy and we do, he's ours but must be put on the 53-man roster for at least a period of time, meaning we have to cut/IR someone to make room.

Do you have to release the player to make room for the one you claim? or, can you relegate him to the practice squad?

55 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Curry was not placed on short term IR.  I believe if it was going to happen, it would have happened already.

Nick Bawden has been placed on short term IR.

It's been clarified that Bawden went on full IR.  He's done for the year.  I believe that a player needs to be on the initial 53-man roster to go on short-term IR, so I'm thinking we'll see Curry move there tomorrow.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Origen said:

Couple ones in there I question, but DAMN that is so much easier to read than last years lineup at this point...

A few position groups to bring back the memories:

TE

• Tyler Kroft
  • Trevon Wesco
  • Ryan Griffin
  • Daniel Brown

DE

• John Franklin-Myers
  • Bryce Huff
  • Shaq Lawson
  • Tim Ward

CB

• Bryce Hall
  • Jason Pinnock
  • Michael Carter II
  • Brandin Echols
  • Javelin Guidry
  • Isaiah Dunn
  • Justin Hardee
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Do you have to release the player to make room for the one you claim? or, can you relegate him to the practice squad?

You have to waive or release a player from the 53 man roster.  If waived, and the player gets through waivers unclaimed, he is eligible to sign to the practice squad.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

TE

• Tyler Kroft
  • Trevon Wesco
  • Ryan Griffin
  • Daniel Brown

DE

• John Franklin-Myers
  • Bryce Huff
  • Shaq Lawson
  • Tim Ward

CB

• Bryce Hall
  • Jason Pinnock
  • Michael Carter II
  • Brandin Echols
  • Javelin Guidry
  • Isaiah Dunn
  • Justin Hardee

Here's where we need a "Barf" emoji added to the options...

Baling twine with a sh*t ton of knots in it holds together better than all them...

2 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I believe the replaced player needs to be released (vested vet) or waived, meaning that the non-vested-vet waived player would need to go through waivers before being signed to the practice squad.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Here is what I don't get about Streveler and White:

We all loved the Cincinnati Mike White game.  BUT....if you are down to your third string QB in this league, you are not winning.  PERIOD.

So, here is my case to keep Streveler over White:

Streveler was here to be a camp body, period.  We know this.  He didn't get any playing time with anyone.  Is he a project?  Absolutely.  Could he be any good?  Who knows.  Many people were complaining about throwing technique, foot issues, etc, etc.  ALL technical things that can be worked on.

The one thing you cannot teach anyone is moxie.  The guy comes off the bench cold, with no work all week long, and wins three games coming from behind.  I don't care that most of the guys would be out of the NFL the following two weeks.  They were good enough to at least suit-up for those games.  

So, we know we can't win with Mike White.  Why not keep the guy who, at the very least, shows he has the moxie to come in late in a game, and pull out a victory?  What do we gain keeping Mike White over Chris Streveler?  Nothing.  What do we lose?  Possibly something.  Isn't it worth keeping Streveler for the tiniest bit of potential?  I mean, we haven't had a decent starting caliber QB on this roster since Chad Pennington.  Its time to keep any kind of potential.

I’ve been posting similar sentiments…and you forgot to mention it would save like $1.5 mill against the cap. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

TE

• Tyler Kroft
  • Trevon Wesco
  • Ryan Griffin
  • Daniel Brown

DE

• John Franklin-Myers
  • Bryce Huff
  • Shaq Lawson
  • Tim Ward

CB

• Bryce Hall
  • Jason Pinnock
  • Michael Carter II
  • Brandin Echols
  • Javelin Guidry
  • Isaiah Dunn
  • Justin Hardee

That 2020 roster is legit the worst I’ve ever seen. 

Shwoing a lot of faith in Max Mitchell.  Either that or they have their eye on someone with their 4th waiver priority.  Seems risky to have a mid-dound rookie as your only back-up tackle.

I guess maybe AVT could play one of the tackle positions in a pinch.  But I would not mind seeing an experienced guy added to the mix tomorrow.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Shwoing a lot of faith in Max Mitchell.  Either that or they have their eye on someone with their 4th waiver priority.  Seems risky to have a mid-dound rookie as your only back-up tackle.

I guess maybe AVT could play one of the tackle positions in a pinch.  But I would not mind seeing an experienced guy added to the mix tomorrow.

I am guessing the whole "Cowboys are trading for Edoga" rumor was floated to see if there was interest from other teams. Maybe as a way to see if they could reasonably cut and stash him on the PS.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So happy to s. Tevin Coleman gone. The ultimate JAG.  I feel badly for him personally, but he actually had a long NFL career based on his pedestrian talent.

He was a decent pass catching RB in his prime, but injuries really derailed his career.  I agree, he's a total JAG at this point.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

You can't just relegate players to the practice squad.  They have to clear waivers first.  Then they can sign with anyone or anyone's practice squad.  Last year at this time, we tried to put Morgan on our practice squad, but he ended up going to Carolina's instead.

3 minutes ago, MykePM said:

It's been clarified that Bawden went on full IR.  He's done for the year.  I believe that a player needs to be on the initial 53-man roster to go on short-term IR, so I'm thinking we'll see Curry move there tomorrow.

What is wrong with him?  I think they can add him back if he clears waivers, but usually they would have him clear waivers first and then add him to the IR

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I have never seen Ashton Davis use even one of his arms in a tackle 

Lmao, really? Maybe Im missing something. Do you really think he is this bad? I just dont see it. I thought Parks out played him so Im thinking its an age thing (?) Im sure JD is working the waiver wire and he's had much success there so I am not panicking (yet)

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You can't just relegate players to the practice squad.  They have to clear waivers first.  Then they can sign with anyone or anyone's practice squad.  Last year at this time, we tried to put Morgan on our practice squad, but he ended up going to Carolina's instead.

Correct.  Once you release or waive a player, he is only coming back if he wants to.  You have no rights to him whatsoever.

Also worth noting that only some players are eligible for waivers and the practice squad.  If a player has enough accrued experience, he cannot be waived and he is not eligible for the practice squad.  Instead, he must be released, becomes a free agent, and can sign to any team's 53 man roster.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MykePM said:

I think some of the head-scratchers like Davis, Ty Johnson, and Tony Adams may just be placeholders for guys who will be signed or claimed on waivers, and they'll be released soon to make room.  At least, that's what I'm kind of hoping. 

Saleh seems to REALLY like Adams, don't think he is going anywhere. I do agree it would seem some move at safety is coming.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The roster has shaken out well and outside of Zach missing a week or two, everybody is healthy. This season falls right on Zach and Saleh’s shoulders - no excuses…. Exactly what we want

One of the things I love is that they are fully committed to giving Zach as many weapons as possible. 6 WRs, 4RBs and 4 TEs, one of the TEs being a hybrid WR/TE. The Zach doubters will say "no excuses" but I think its more no handicaps to success.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What is wrong with him?  I think they can add him back if he clears waivers, but usually they would have him clear waivers first and then add him to the IR

No they IR'd Bawden outright. No FBs on the roster so maybe the Jets offense is not going to be as run focused as some here (not me) thought.

22 minutes ago, nycdan said:

TE

• Tyler Kroft
  • Trevon Wesco
  • Ryan Griffin
  • Daniel Brown

DE

• John Franklin-Myers
  • Bryce Huff
  • Shaq Lawson
  • Tim Ward

CB

• Bryce Hall
  • Jason Pinnock
  • Michael Carter II
  • Brandin Echols
  • Javelin Guidry
  • Isaiah Dunn
  • Justin Hardee

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Memories GIF

• Haha 2

The idea that moxie and preseason wins mean anything seems borderline insane to me.  Beating up on 4th stringers is a function of so many factors - teams working on different things, a coach actually playing to win, luck.  Brett Ratliff laughs at Chris Streveler's preseason. 

The Jets know that they can't win with Mike White?  Mike White played in 4 games.  Three playoff teams and all four with winning records.  Against the Pats they were down 17-0 when he came in.  He rolled the AFC champs and then threw a game tying TD against the Colts after he got hurt.  Then he got crushed by the Bills.  There are plenty of reasons to think Mike White can't get it done, but anybody irrational enough to think that Chris Steveler is going to be an NFL starter should still have an aisle seat on the Mike White for president bus.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Ashtyn Davis is really the only head scratcher.

Couple of things I didn't necessarily expect (like carrying 4 RB's) but not really anything other than Davis that shocked me.  From everything I've heard Parks has heavily out performed him in camp.

JD drafted him so it's not on the level, but political.

And before others say they don't believe that, then what is their explanation?

• Thumb Down 2

33 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So happy to s. Tevin Coleman gone. The ultimate JAG.  I feel badly for him personally, but he actually had a long NFL career based on his pedestrian talent.

A guy who scores 41 TDs in his NFL career is not a JAG.  He was a pretty good RB2 in his Falcons days.   Put up 800 yards rushing (at 4.8 per) in his last season in Atlanta.

It's not reasonable to expect RBs to last many years without declining skills.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

JD drafted him so it's not on the level, but political.

And before others say they don't believe that, then what is their explanation?

It's not just JD.  We may not like him, but he isn't just on the roster he is getting a ton of playing time.  Davis played 94% of the snaps or more between week 5 and 14.  He missed the first 3 weeks, and then played at least 36 snaps in every game from then on.  Somebody must like what he is doing.  At least compared to the other guys on the roster.  He is also physically superior to all the others.  

Team looks decent. There aren't many players on the 53 man roster where I'm like what the hell is he still doing in the NFL. I'm counting 5

Joe Flacco, Vinny Curry, Ashtyn Davis, Lamarcus Joyner, and Ty Johnson.

I don't know what to make of Tony Adams. So, he might be in that group. I just don't have an opinion on him.

• Sympathy 1