Jets Cuts to 53: Final List

Rhg1084

42 minutes ago, Lith said:

Shwoing a lot of faith in Max Mitchell.  Either that or they have their eye on someone with their 4th waiver priority.  Seems risky to have a mid-dound rookie as your only back-up tackle.

I guess maybe AVT could play one of the tackle positions in a pinch.  But I would not mind seeing an experienced guy added to the mix tomorrow.

Pretty sure the swing tackle will be here tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Surprised by the Nasirildeen cut. Thought he was great on specials, and gave them something to work with at OLB. The plan at LB is weird and makes no sense. 

If these guys are ever to have any success, I think it is going to be one of those deals where it doesn't make sense and then all of a sudden we are thinking, wow these guys are better than we thought. 

I just want to get this straight…

Nasirildeen and Pinnock were two second year, drafted project players that the coaching staff decided to put through positional changes.

I’m fine with cutting whoever, I just can’t shake the feeling that this is more of a CS problem than a player problem.  We’ve barely seen these guys play and they are already off the team, yet guys like Mims and Davis and Becton are still here?  Questionable.

Also Joyner is officially the defensive version of Flacco.  An old, most likely bad player whom this CS is stubbornly keeping around.  I would have rather just started Pinnock and had him learn on the go, because the plan right now is to play Joyner this year and then Davis is the incumbent starter going forward???

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Saleh said the decision “was very hard” and he hopes the Jets can re-sign Pinnock to the practice team. The Jets kept four safeties: starters Jordan Whitehead and Joyner, Ashtyn Davis and undrafted rookie free agent Tony Adams, who Saleh didn’t want to risk getting away.

“Every single day just found ways to get better and better,” Saleh said. “He’s got a bright future ahead of him. Would have been sick if we would have lost him.”

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I just want to get this straight…

Nasirildeen and Pinnock were two second year, drafted project players that the coaching staff decided to put through positional changes.

I’m fine with cutting whoever, I just can’t shake the feeling that this is more of a CS problem than a player problem.  We’ve barely seen these guys play and they are already off the team, yet guys like Mims and Davis and Becton are still here?  Questionable.

Also Joyner is officially the defensive version of Flacco.  An old, most likely bad player whom this CS is stubbornly keeping around.  I would have rather just started Pinnock and had him learn on the go, because the plan right now is to play Joyner this year and then Davis is the incumbent starter going forward???

I know that there is a lot of hate here for both Mims and Becton, but they each have real potential - doesn't mean that they will be good, but ...

I think Davis may be gone soon but who knows.

Flacco, well every team needs a good backup and while I think Flacco is done, IMO (and I know others don't feel the same way) he is significantly better than White or Strev - unless you are okay loosing games if/when Zack is out - is needed here. White had one unbelievable game, but we took them by surprise (which often happens with a backup QB), but once the tape was out there... (btw, I feel this way about Mac Jones, but it took a year). I really don't want another 4 win season, so I can see holding onto Flacco - if White and/or Strev can step up next year (or we find someone else) or the team gets good enough for them to win, I would be happy to see Flacco go.

If Pinnock isn't picked up he will make the practice squad.

I am, however, very. worried about our safeties (I hope we pick up 1 or 2 this week) and our LBs.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Lol, Mims earned WR5 this offseason on that TD catch as far as I’m concerned. Once JD realized what the market for near-cut WRs was, he decided Mims was worth more to him on the roster than off - for now. 

Jax just traded arguably a more productive receiver in Shenault for a bag of d!cks to the most likely suitor for Mims (Rhule).  That pretty much made JD's decision to hold on to Mims with the hope he can figure out enough to replace Davis next year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Lith said:

Where does Rich come up with this sh*t.  Johnson as a 3rd down back?  Didn't he drop passes all over the field last year.  And I don't recall him being very good at the blitz pick-up.

Cimini is an idiot Hall will be the main back Carter will be 3rd down back and Knight will get some carries and possibly be a short yardage back. Why in the hell did this team even keep Ty Johnson ??

• Sympathy 2

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Surprised by the Nasirildeen cut. Thought he was great on specials, and gave them something to work with at OLB. The plan at LB is weird and makes no sense. 

All the great defenses have been well above average at the LB position . I don't like the scheme we are running and how they devalue the LB position.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, C Mart said:

Saleh said the decision “was very hard” and he hopes the Jets can re-sign Pinnock to the practice team. The Jets kept four safeties: starters Jordan Whitehead and Joyner, Ashtyn Davis and undrafted rookie free agent Tony Adams, who Saleh didn’t want to risk getting away.

“Every single day just found ways to get better and better,” Saleh said. “He’s got a bright future ahead of him. Would have been sick if we would have lost him.”

The fact they are wasting a roster spot on Davis is criminal. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I see that the Cardinals cut rookie Penn State LB Jesse Luketa, who the Jets were strongly linked to pre-draft.

He was the final cut by the Cards, he initially made the roster but then was cut when the Cards added a player via trade and they needed the roster spot.

With our lack of depth at LB, I could see JD putting in a claim. Very strong ST player too.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seems odd that they were "fielding calls" about trading Edoga and Isaiah Dunn and cut both of them.  Usually that means at least a conditional pick.  Maybe that was the Jets floating something to gauge interest.  It will be interesting to see what happens with Mims.

JD is pretty savvy in the trade market obviously. I still think Mims requesting a trade was a back room coordination between the Jets and Mims to try to formulate a win/win. Jets get back some value, Mims gets his $1.5M this year.

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

All the great defenses have been well above average at the LB position . I don't like the scheme we are running and how they devalue the LB position.

The LBs will likely be the gooey center of this defense I think Jets will have trouble containing quick “guys in space” receivers like Tyreek Hill but this defense was so bad it couldn’t be completely fixed in one off season. JD has done a fine job filling a lot of holes on paper… no excuses to be terrible again. If we come in around 20 in D rank, I will be very satisfied with the progress.

• Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I think they just have sunk cost with Mosley. Probably waiting for him to get off the books before investing much more.

They’re much higher on Quincy Williams than they should be imo. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I think they just have sunk cost with Mosley. Probably waiting for him to get off the books before investing much more.

They’re much higher on Quincy Williams than they should be imo. 

Mosley isn’t terrible… just terribly overpaid.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, rbstern said:

A guy who scores 41 TDs in his NFL career is not a JAG.  He was a pretty good RB2 in his Falcons days.   Put up 800 yards rushing (at 4.8 per) in his last season in Atlanta.

It's not reasonable to expect RBs to last many years without declining skills.

I'm old enough to remember when he was Gase's top pick for RB and Big Mac signed Bell instead. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seems odd that they were "fielding calls" about trading Edoga and Isaiah Dunn and cut both of them.  Usually that means at least a conditional pick.  Maybe that was the Jets floating something to gauge interest.  It will be interesting to see what happens with Mims.

Quoting my own post to say that what I think may happen is that teams discuss general terms.  Then when they see who is hitting the waiver wire, they may seem names they feel are more appealing than Edoga or Dunn and decide it is worth rolling the dice, rather than offering something up to jump ahead of the line for a guy like Edoga.  If the Cowboys see a couple of tackles hit the street they like, it might be worth the risk to them that somebody ahead scoops up Edoga.

On 8/29/2022 at 10:22 PM, tommyduhamelshouse said:

Good time to talk about the Wall of Shame:

Darron Lee

Stephen Hill

Devin Smith

Calvin Pryor

Dee Milliner

Dexter McDougle

Jace Amaro

Ardarius Stewart

Christian Hackenberg

Lorenzo Mauldin

Quinton Coples

The All Tar Team

21 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Here is what I don't get about Streveler and White:

We all loved the Cincinnati Mike White game.  BUT....if you are down to your third string QB in this league, you are not winning.  PERIOD.

So, here is my case to keep Streveler over White:

Streveler was here to be a camp body, period.  We know this.  He didn't get any playing time with anyone.  Is he a project?  Absolutely.  Could he be any good?  Who knows.  Many people were complaining about throwing technique, foot issues, etc, etc.  ALL technical things that can be worked on.

The one thing you cannot teach anyone is moxie.  The guy comes off the bench cold, with no work all week long, and wins three games coming from behind.  I don't care that most of the guys would be out of the NFL the following two weeks.  They were good enough to at least suit-up for those games.  

So, we know we can't win with Mike White.  Why not keep the guy who, at the very least, shows he has the moxie to come in late in a game, and pull out a victory?  What do we gain keeping Mike White over Chris Streveler?  Nothing.  What do we lose?  Possibly something.  Isn't it worth keeping Streveler for the tiniest bit of potential?  I mean, we haven't had a decent starting caliber QB on this roster since Chad Pennington.  Its time to keep any kind of potential.

Trade White to @T0mShane’s two hand touch league. Cut Flacco. Bring Streveler back as #2 QB. Love JD but he can be a real doofus sometimes. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

Do the Cowboys claim Strevelar?

They are bringing Cooper Rush back to be the backup.

I would have thought the Lions might consider Streveler, but it looks like they are doing with Sudfeld.  And anyone else looking for a QB3 would probably prefer Davis Webb or one of a few other guys out there with real experience.

I can't really see any other team willing to put Streveler on the 53-man roster as of now.  I think getting him on the Jets PS would be a win for the team in terms of fan engagement and you need a guy there anyway so why not.