Will This Be The Best Zefense The Jets Have Had Since The Rex Ryan Era?

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The secondary should be greatly improved with Sauce, Jordan Whitehead and Z.J. Reid.

And I'm hopeful that with Lawson coming back, along with draftees JJ and Michael Clemons that the zefensive line might be a real strength this year.

Zefinitely.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

No.  Hopefully they can generate pressure and play some man.  Hopefully they generate more turnovers.  All of those hopes have reasons to believe… but…

The scheme needs to be tweaked, LBs improve, or they will continue to get gashed in the ground game.  There will be some ugly weeks.  Please not 4 in a row!! 

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

The defensive line looks really good, the LB corps looks really good, and our CBs look really good. So yes, they definitely have the potential to be a top defense 

I agree that all 3 levels of the D have improved.

The LB group is still probably the weak point, but this is a very upgraded defense with about 50% new starters vs. last year.

We may have to be a bit patient with the young guys but there are some solid veterans here now too.  Reed, Whitehead and Kwon Alexander were all good FA additions.  Sauce and JJ have big talent and upside.  Carl Lawson is back.

I like the group.  Let's see how they come together under the coaching staff.  I'll hold out judgement for a few weeks but I think there's a chance we're pleasantly surprised once they find their groove.  Who knows!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, pointman said:

Rex was lights out. Saleh is more like afraid of the dark. Don't disrespect Rex with this thread.

Rex was a one trick pony that got so over exposed by Bill, Tom and Peyton that he’s out of the league now.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

49 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Rex was a one trick pony that got so over exposed by Bill, Tom and Peyton that he’s out of the league now.

Prevent defense made me laugh with madness. He sucked in the end, but he also did far more than Robert Saleh has so far. And nothing I have seen makes me believe he will do much better, or is worthy of being mentioned in the same class as Rex. Again, thats not to say that Rex is amazing.

• Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, pointman said:

Prevent defense made me laugh with madness. He sucked in the end, but he also did far more than Robert Saleh has so far. And nothing I have seen makes me believe he will do much better, or is worthy of being mentioned in the same class as Rex. Again, thats not to say that Rex is amazing.

When they both got hired as HC of the Jets, it put them in the same class. Regardless of whatever hair-splitting you do in a message board.

15 minutes ago, pointman said:

Ok. Comparing them, Saleh isn't putting out a defense nearly as good as Rex.. so far.

So far is right, because it’s an apples and oranges comparison.

Rex inherited a playoff contending team. A team Rex brought to the exact same win total in his first year that Mangini achieved in his last. Rex ultimately destroyed that team. Setting in motion a decade+ of futility. 

Do I care if Rex had 2 good years of defense in the grand scheme of what he did for the Jets? Nope.

Saleh has a completely different context. This should be the first year where we get to really see what we have. Fingered crossed.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Absolutely hated what I saw on defense last year. Like others have stated, it could be a scheme issue. Not confident they will make some gigantic leap but hopefully they will be around middle of the pack.

Middle of the pack would be a gigantic leap. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

So far is right, because it’s an apples and oranges comparison.

Rex inherited a playoff contending team. A team Rex brought to the exact same win total in his first year that Mangini achieved in his last. Rex ultimately destroyed that team. Setting in motion a decade+ of futility. 

Do I care if Rex had 2 good years of defense in the grand scheme of what he did for the Jets? Nope.

Saleh has a completely different context. This should be the first year where we get to really see what we have. Fingered crossed.

I agree. I, unlike you though, have no confidence that Saleh is going to be the guy. Seems like a lot of player friendly cheering and not much else. Hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, pointman said:

I agree. I, unlike you though, have no confidence that Saleh is going to be the guy. Seems like a lot of player friendly cheering and not much else. Hope I'm wrong.

I don’t have confidence in any untested HC but Momma Mia he better turn that defense around if he wants to reset as a DC somewhere if he does fail here.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, pointman said:

I have no confidence or doubt. I’m just observing. When there is enough to evaluate, I will do so without bias. Right now, I genuinely don’t have a read on the situation - but, I’m also not in a typical jets fan rush to judge and go nuts.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, pointman said:

16 minutes in and no one neg repped you.  In the morning i bet you have 2 neg reps.  Kool aid drinkers hate the truth.  

• Upvote 2

They have the talent to actually run the scheme this year, so that's a big change.  There really should be no excuses.  They added a player at every level directly familiar with Saleh in the system;  Reed was drafted by San Fran w/ Saleh, stayed in the system in Seattle.  Kwon played for Saleh in San Fran and so did Thomas. And Jacob Martin spent a year in the system as rookie in Seattle.  With Joyner and Lawson coming back, it goes from completely inexperience to veteran led w/ the only rookie starting being Sauce and it looks like you're at least getting some physicality up front from JJ and Clemons right off the rip.

We'll see what the results are but I do think this is going to be a very good D.  I'm not sure they're going to be top 10 or anything like that, they might give up yards, but I do think they're going to be of the bend dont break model and make their money on 3rd down and be tough to score TD's on, especially passing.  I also think they're going to benefit from better offense and what I think will be a very good clocking eating run game keeping them much more fresh than last year.  My concern would be run defense but that really should be better with the added depth/talent on the DL.

12 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I have no confidence or doubt. I’m just observing. When there is enough to evaluate, I will do so without bias. Right now, I genuinely don’t have a read on the situation - but, I’m also not in a typical jets fan rush to judge and go nuts.

You've seen a year. Thats enough to start formulating an opinion. He hasn't shown much of anything positive. 

• Upvote 1