Will This Be The Best Zefense The Jets Have Had Since The Rex Ryan Era?

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Giving Ulbrich, one of the brightest young defensive minds in the game, these kinds of toys????  Watch out.  Ulbrich will have these boys attacking and harrassing the qb.  Its going to be fun to watch.

You are a troll!  Nobody could be this much of a homer 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

You are a troll!  Nobody could be this much of a homer 

Yes, no one could see that a defense that added Sauce Gardner, DJ Reed, Carl Lawson, Kwon Alexander, Jordan Whitehead, Jermain Johnson and Michael Clemens will be a major improvement over the trash we had out there last year.  Just impossible to even think. I am crazy.

• Upvote 1

Talent level should be much better.  I still do not like the scheme or philosophy.

Too much dline rotation, best players sit out too much.

Dline splits absurdly wide at times and LB back too far allowing for way too many make 1/2 block big runs.

Secondary at times is totally lost in zone coverage.

If our corner play that we have invested a lot in is supposed to be a lot better I expect more blitzing but doubt that will happen..

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rex Ryan inherited a good D and in a few years ran it into the ground.

Saleh and Ulbrich inherited chicken sh!t and are giong to build it into long term dominance.

Only Jet fans would look at what Rex Ryan did and want that again.  Just unreal.

Rex was a bad head coach who got to much roster input and destroyed the team with Tanny, but he could definitely coach a defense better than what we’ve seen so far. We’ll see!

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes, no one could see that a defense that added Sauce Gardner, DJ Reed, Carl Lawson, Kwon Alexander, Jordan Whitehead, Jermain Johnson and Michael Clemens will be a major improvement over the trash we had out there last year.  Just impossible to even think. I am crazy.

You were pumping the team last year also!

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The secondary should be greatly improved with Sauce, Jordan Whitehead and Z.J. Reid.

And I'm hopeful that with Lawson coming back, along with draftees JJ and Michael Clemons that the zefensive line might be a real strength this year.

In a word yes, in a few words God damn right

The defensive roster is better than it's been since the Sexy Rexy years by a lot and arguably better than the defensive roster during his last few years. 

Whether the defense will perform better than any of the Gase or Bowles defenses depends a lot on the scheme and coaching. Last year both were underwhelming to say the least. If we are willing to excuse last year's lousy defense due to roster holes, then the defense has to make a big leap forward. 

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rex Ryan inherited a good D and in a few years ran it into the ground.

Saleh and Ulbrich inherited chicken sh!t and are giong to build it into long term dominance.

Only Jet fans would look at what Rex Ryan did and want that again.  Just unreal.

There’s nothing wrong with looking back fondly on 2 AFC Championship appearances while also acknowledging Rex’s ultimate failings. Most fun I’ve had as a Jets fan this millenium. 

47 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

This is asking to be bumped after Lamar and the Ravens run for 300+ yards.

I’m sure no one will overreact if the well-coached Ravens punch us in the mouth — which is the probable outcome as our very young team gels.

6 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

He made the Bills defense worse.   They got better again after he left.     Bag of hot wind.

Rex is the cocaine of head coaches. If you gotta get jacked up to win one game in a vacuum, he might be your guy. But then you gotta deal with the next-day crash.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, pointman said:

You've seen a year. Thats enough to start formulating an opinion. He hasn't shown much of anything positive. 

Skepticism is absolutely warranted. I’d say by mid-season we will have a pretty good idea if last year’s train wreck was talent, coaching, or both.

• Upvote 1

Unlikely.  Rex's defense was unbelievably good.  I thought they overpaid to bring in Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard to implement his scheme and lead their respective units but it was possibly the best jets defense I've ever seen.

Once Antonio Allen and Darren Walls took over for Revis amd Cromartie, you knew it wasn't gonna be the same.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Unlikely.  Rex's defense was unbelievably good.  I thought they overpaid to bring in Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard to implement his scheme and lead their respective units but it was possibly the best jets defense I've ever seen.

Once Antonio Allen and Darren Walls took over for Revis amd Cromartie, you knew it wasn't gonna be the same.

Please name a defensive player that Rex drafted and developed.  He is much like Mike Keenan in the NHL. With great vets, he can put a product on the field.  The only one I can think of is Wilkerson and he , IMO, was a disappointment.  Snacks maybe but in all his years we drafted poorly on defense. 

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The secondary should be greatly improved with Sauce, Jordan Whitehead and Z.J. Reid.

And I'm hopeful that with Lawson coming back, along with draftees JJ and Michael Clemons that the zefensive line might be a real strength this year.

idk probably not. they looked pretty bad against the eagles starters. and they were historically bad last year. hard to imagine them becoming one of the best defenses the jets have ever had

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Please name a defensive player that Rex drafted and developed.  He is much like Mike Keenan in the NHL. With great vets, he can put a product on the field.  The only one I can think of is Wilkerson and he , IMO, was a disappointment.  Snacks maybe but in all his years we drafted poorly on defense. 

I was talking about his defensive scheme, not the players his GM drafted.

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I was talking about his defensive scheme, not the players he pushed his GM to draft.

Fixed.  He IMO Pushed to draft a safety (Wilson) to complement  Revis as his scheme was safety/CB strong with a big pass rush.  

Followed by nothing but D-Lineman. (Coples, Wilk etc.)

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Fixed.  He IMO Pushed to draft a safety (Wilson) to complement  Revis as his scheme was safety/CB strong with a big pass rush.  

Followed by nothing but D-Lineman. (Coples, Wilk etc.)

In your opinion.  That's the important part.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

This is asking to be bumped after Lamar and the Ravens run for 300+ yards.

My post was really just an homage to Zonovan Knight.  Though if we allow only 300 yards rushing to the Ravens, it'll still be an improvement over last year (and possibly still among the best Jet defenses of the last decade).

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Though if we allow only 300 yards rushing to the Ravens, it'll still be an improvement over last year (and possibly still among the best Jet defenses of the last decade).

All of these things are depressingly true.