Will This Be The Best Zefense The Jets Have Had Since The Rex Ryan Era?

15 hours ago, PorP said:

Za zefense vill be best since  Germany 1943

Actually the Nazis held the most territory in 1941-1942; all of Europe, North Africa, into Russia. In 1943 up to 1945, the Nazis got pushed back to Berlin.

I hope our defense is better than that!  Lol ?.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Giving Ulbrich, one of the brightest young defensive minds in the game, these kinds of toys????  Watch out.  Ulbrich will have these boys attacking and harrassing the qb.  Its going to be fun to watch.

My 5 year old grandson has one of the brightest young defensive minds in the game.  You should see what he can do with his toys.  

I don’t have a read on how good our depth is with regard to the defense.

Jets never get a break on the injury front.  They seem perpetually ranked at or near the top of teams suffering from injuries.

There will be a season where the Jets are ranked in the middle of the pack, or (can we think it?) even better…with regard to games lost by key players due to injury.   

The longer Rex was coaching, the worse his defense performed…or so it seemed. Admittedly, I haven’t seen the #s.

Near the end of his tenure, I remember how they couldn’t get off the field on 3rd down..and so often, 3rd and long.  

Rex was a good coach with the team he inherited, no doubt.  Not so much, as time went on.  Of course his follow-up tenure with Buffalo was a complete disaster.

15 minutes ago, Greg555 said:

The longer Rex was coaching, the worse his defense performed…or so it seemed. Admittedly, I haven’t seen the #s.

Near the end of his tenure, I remember how they couldn’t get off the field on 3rd down..and so often, 3rd and long.  

Rex was a good coach with the team he inherited, no doubt.  Not so much, as time went on.  Of course his follow-up tenure with Buffalo was a complete disaster.

This x 10000. Rex's hand selected draft picks never really amounted to anything. He basically tore down the offense in the offseason leading to the 11 season to try to bring in Nnamdi who ended up being a disaster in Philly and he ended up with a terrible hole in O line and WR and his defense absolutely got worse each year as Manginis guys got older or left and his guys came in. Rex is probably a very good DC but he should have zero say in team direction and zero say in personnel.

Before we crap on Rex too much, let's not forget that he won 4 playoff games (all on the road), including a win at New England.  He also is still the last Jet HC to get us to the postseason (let alone win a game there).

And I was glad he was fired btw.  But I do think we need to acknowledge that he did some good here too.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

You would have fired Parcells after his first season as a Giants coach.

Giants tried but his replacement wasn't interested. So I guess I am at least as smart as the Giant franchise according to you. Year two, Billy went on to be 9-7. Lets see what Saleh does. I didn't say I would've fired after year one. But so far, as year 2 is rolling in.. it isn't looking good. If I wanted a cheerleader, I'd bring back the Flight Crew. 

3 hours ago, jgb said:

“No defensive coordinator could succeed in this environment!”

Patrick Graham could , if your team was smart they name him there head coach next season.   I never saw a Raider defense with every level of the defense , playing on the same page. ( didn’t matter if first, second , or third string defense    Can’t wait to see what he does game planning for an opponent . 

21 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Patrick Graham could , if your team was smart they name him there head coach next season.   I never saw a Raider defense with every level of the defense , playing on the same page. ( didn’t matter if first, second , or third string defense    Can’t wait to see what he does game planning for an opponent . 

It was sarcasm. But maybe “No poster could succeed with my comment!” ?‍♂️ 

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Before we crap on Rex too much, let's not forget that he won 4 playoff games (all on the road), including a win at New England.  He also is still the last Jet HC to get us to the postseason (let alone win a game there).

And I was glad he was fired btw.  But I do think we need to acknowledge that he did some good here too.

Rex is better than our last 3 head coaches combined.  Even Mangini with his nonsense was better than these clowns Woody has been handpicking

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2022 at 10:43 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes, no one could see that a defense that added Sauce Gardner, DJ Reed, Carl Lawson, Kwon Alexander, Jordan Whitehead, Jermain Johnson and Michael Clemens will be a major improvement over the trash we had out there last year.  Just impossible to even think. I am crazy.

Gotta give credit where credit is due on this one. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/30/2022 at 9:38 PM, JiFapono said:

They have the talent to actually run the scheme this year, so that's a big change.  There really should be no excuses.  They added a player at every level directly familiar with Saleh in the system;  Reed was drafted by San Fran w/ Saleh, stayed in the system in Seattle.  Kwon played for Saleh in San Fran and so did Thomas. And Jacob Martin spent a year in the system as rookie in Seattle.  With Joyner and Lawson coming back, it goes from completely inexperience to veteran led w/ the only rookie starting being Sauce and it looks like you're at least getting some physicality up front from JJ and Clemons right off the rip.

We'll see what the results are but I do think this is going to be a very good D.  I'm not sure they're going to be top 10 or anything like that, they might give up yards, but I do think they're going to be of the bend dont break model and make their money on 3rd down and be tough to score TD's on, especially passing.  I also think they're going to benefit from better offense and what I think will be a very good clocking eating run game keeping them much more fresh than last year.  My concern would be run defense but that really should be better with the added depth/talent on the DL.

Thanks Thank You GIF by BET Awards

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Thanks Thank You GIF by BET Awards

Not sure any of us remotely thought that Sauce and Reed would be quite this good. Gardner is literally playing like Revis. I remain optimistic for this team despite the losses. I think this group is so scrappy that they will use this to be even better.