Around the League - notable signings

nycdan

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

Why would JD think that?  Edoga is not that good, but he is good compared to Ts that usually get waived.  

The whole "cowboys are trying to trade for Edoga" thing seemed weird and then it never went through. If the Cowboys offered anything you'd think the Jets would accept it instead of cutting him knowing they'd pick him up and they'd get nothing instead.

Seems like maybe the Jets put that out there to see if any other teams would call to gauge interest, and test whether he might sneak through the waiver wire.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Dunn to Seattle and Wildgoose to Washington also per Rap's listing.  So Streveler will make it to the practice squad.

I don't think I have ever seen us get hammered like this before.  We literally got picked clean.  That totally says something for how well the roster has turned over for sure, as these guys that got cut have real game tape so it was easier for other teams to jump on them over some other unknown out there.  But, Wow.  I bet Streveler comes back on the PS, perfect guy to have run the 'ravens' O against the 1's when they are facing a guy like Jackson in week 1.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

7: Dunn, Wildgoose, Pinnock, Guidry, Wesco, Edoga and Phillps.

Which means, either we have done a really nice job of accumulating talent, or we are letting the wrong guys go.  Half the board will think its the former, the other half will think the latter.

I can’t see this as a bad thing. This team hasn’t had relevant end of roster players in a decade.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Ashtyn Davis was not getting claimed.  Waiving Pinnock was a mistake.  

I'd rather have kept Pinnock but I think Ashtyn would have been plucked as well just based off his draft profile.  There's still a lot of GM's around from his draft year, some of them would have had him graded high and deemed worth a flier IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

No wiaver claims for us:

Wild.  CHI claimed 6 players.  JAX 5.  NYG 4.  As far as I can see, nobody claimed any of their cuts.  It would seem to say something about the roster building the Jets have done recently.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Pretty amazing that all of them were claimed.

Shows how deep we have become.

As a fan still would have preferred keeping Pinnock and waiving Davis, seems like the most suspect move to me. Saleh said it was playing roulette so maybe they made the wrong call on who would be claimed.

Cutting Guidry still a bit of a headscratcher though @GREENBEAN will not shed any tears.

Bawden on IR for the year and waiving Wesco suggests that maybe 21 and 22 are not really in our plans for offense. I think the players we have were not really a good fit for that as we want to get our playmakers out there in 11 and 12 and 10 which is what we were last year.

Also shows that they are very comfortable with the roster we have. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Origen said:

Isn't it player choice too?  Especially after that many years in the league, he could sign either place if he wanted?

It is like @Lith said.  Guys that are waived are subject to having their current contracts picked up.  That is why you see a distinction with some players being waived and others released.  For example Guidry and Pinnock were waived, but Tevin Coleman was released.

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Ig guys aren't claimed, are they FA's, or they go right back to PS?

They are free agents.  Free to sign with other teams, or another team's practice squad.

• Upvote 2

Just now, nycdan said:

Wild.  CHI claimed 6 players.  JAX 5.  NYG 4.  As far as I can see, nobody claimed any of their cuts.  It would seem to say something about the roster building the Jets have done recently.

Remember how interesting/exciting/terrifying it used to be for waiver day because suddenly the Jets would grab a bunch of other guys we didn't know and toss out the camp hero we grew to love to snag another lousy vet?  Yeah, I think things are getting closer to the top of the hill, finally.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Weird point of pride but 5 players claimed on waivers is impressive

Maybe wrong players were released? You think 34yo Vinny curry with hamstring injury would be claimed? Ashtyn Davis? Nathan shepherd? Rankins? 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Wait, so that's it?  Claims are done so it means we're sticking with that original 53?  Max Mitchell is our ONE backup Tackle?  We have 27 D-Lineman?  Ashtyn Davis is on the team for real?

JD has always been so active on this day  I guess he's actually pretty happy with the current talent pool.  I'm kinda pleased, somewhat surprised, and a little disappointed at the lack of action.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It is like @Lith said.  Guys that are waived are subject to having their current contracts picked up.  That is why you see a distinction with some players being waived and others released.  For example Guidry and Pinnock were waived, but Tevin Coleman was released.

They are free agents.  Free to sign with other teams, or another team's practice squad.

Tnx

1 minute ago, Barkus said:

Maybe wrong players were released? You think 34yo Vinny curry with hamstring injury would be claimed? Ashtyn Davis? Nathan shepherd? Rankins? 

Davis likely. Shepherd would’ve been signed. Rankins definitely. A 34yo Curry probably not.

• Upvote 1