Around the League - notable signings

nycdan

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

@C Mart Bears claimed Leatherwood. You hearing anything about them still be willing to move Jenkins? You would think we would be looking for OT depth. Or are the Bears going to play Leatherwood at G?

Last I read the Bears are playing him at OG and like him there. May start

• Upvote 1

Jets apparently also hate dudes who make plays on ST.  Del'Shawn blocked a punt last year.

Jordan Willis, a guy they dealt to the 9ers for a box of Krispy Kremes, wound up blocking a punt which basically the playoff game at Lambeau, advancing the 9ers to the NFCCG.

The Jets have traded DL Jordan Willis and a 2021 seventh-round pick to the 49ers in exchange for a 2022 sixth-round pick.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

If we get Marshall back, you think we release Curry?

Perhaps Curry goes to short term IR if Marshall or Anae come back?  I believe to be put on short term IR the player needed to make the 53 first, whereas anyone designated IR during cuts was out for season (Bawden).  
I very well could be wrong though so please one of our roster experts feel free to correct. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, C Mart said:

None by Jets  

Pinnock claimed by Giants.

Guidry by AZ

Dunn claimed by Seattle.

Wesco by Bears.

Phillips claimed by Ravens.

Wildgoose by Washington

Chuma by Atlanta

Unless we attempted to pick up one of the guys who went to Jacksonville, Detroit or Houston....then Joe D made no waiver claims.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Jets apparently also hate dudes who make plays on ST.  Del'Shawn blocked a punt last year.

Jordan Willis, a guy they dealt to the 9ers for a box of Krispy Kremes, wound up blocking a punt which basically won the game in the playoffs vs Green Bay, getting them to the NFCCG.

Phillips will be back on the practice squad in Week 2 - after John Harbaugh pumps him for information about our schemes and then throws him away like an empty candy bar wrapper.

16 minutes ago, nycdan said:

No. Not at all.

Waivers are done, but there are a bunch of vets who weren't subject to waivers that are still available, including some pretty good Safeties.  JD can also make a trade at any point.  Rosters aren't final yet.

I don't understand this. I thought waiver was active through the season? 

For those 4+ years vets, we only have 6 of 16 PS slots to them.  We have to fill out the rest of the PS with waiver claims at some point in time right? 

8 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Jordan Willis, a guy they dealt to the 9ers for a box of Krispy Kremes, wound up blocking a punt which basically the playoff game at Lambeau, advancing the 9ers to the NFCCG.

Lol you're a fun one huh?

I don't think blocking one punt necessitates a roster spot. But alright.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

All those placed on waivers yesterday that weren’t claimed today are now FAs to sign with any team, including any PS. 

Today a team like the Bears that claimed 6 players may waive a player they kept yesterday. That waived player now goes through the waiver process.  If he isn’t claimed by any team tomorrow he then becomes a FA. 

Also, waivers only apply to players with something like 3 or less years of service.  Vets with more than that are automatically FAs when they are released and are *not* subject to waiver claims.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Lith said:

7: Dunn, Wildgoose, Pinnock, Guidry, Wesco, Edoga and Phillps.

Which means, either we have done a really nice job of accumulating talent, or we are letting the wrong guys go.  Half the board will think its the former, the other half will think the latter.

Little bit of both for me. I dont see any of these cuts coming back to bite us with the exception of Pinnock. It would have been nice to have Guidry, Phillips and Edoga on the PS as quality depth in case of injury.

Pinnock is the only guy I though deserved to make the 53.

23 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Wait, so that's it?  Claims are done so it means we're sticking with that original 53?  Max Mitchell is our ONE backup Tackle?  We have 27 D-Lineman?  Ashtyn Davis is on the team for real?

JD has always been so active on this day  I guess he's actually pretty happy with the current talent pool.  I'm kinda pleased, somewhat surprised, and a little disappointed at the lack of action.

The Jets are deep enough that the only positions that are really ripe for a pickup now are swing offensive tackle and safety.  Run-stopping DT and further LB depth might make sense, but they seem content with what they have there, even if some fans aren't.

I don't see any waiver claims for players at those positions that jump out at me.  The best OT is probably Edoga, and the best safety is probably Pinnock.  Armon Watts may have made some sense for an IDL, but I guess the team didn't like him any better than who's on the roster there now.

As @nycdan mentioned, the best available players at positions of need were vested veterans who didn't go through the waiver process and are still available.  I wouldn't be surprised to see interest in Cedric Ogbuehi at OT and Jefferson, Tartt, or Harris at Safety.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Also, waivers only apply to players with something like 3 or less years of service.  Vets with more than that are automatically FAs when they are released and are *not* subject to waiver claims.

Correct. I assumed by now that was understood since it’s been posted all around here the past couple of days. 

Good add  

45 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Pretty amazing that all of them were claimed.

Shows how deep we have become.

As a fan still would have preferred keeping Pinnock and waiving Davis, seems like the most suspect move to me. Saleh said it was playing roulette so maybe they made the wrong call on who would be claimed.

Cutting Guidry still a bit of a headscratcher though @GREENBEAN will not shed any tears.

Bawden on IR for the year and waiving Wesco suggests that maybe 21 and 22 are not really in our plans for offense. I think the players we have were not really a good fit for that as we want to get our playmakers out there in 11 and 12 and 10 which is what we were last year.

Also shows that they are very comfortable with the roster we have. 

while i agree we have become quite deep; the truth is, like any team, we are very deep in some positions, but not in others such as OL and safety. Additionally, a bunch of our OL are relatively old - we still need to finish the OL rebuild.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is obviously a step in the right direction.  OTOH, having the most waiver claims is not indicative of having the best roster.  It is indicative of having the best bottom of the roster.  Now it is time to get more top heavy.  

And dumping the most guys with actual NFL game tape that other teams have already seen.  Much easier than scouting a rookie who has never played.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bronx said:

He brought excitement to the fans, something that has been missing for a long time. That should always be appreciated. 

I don't recall watching any pre-season games to the end excitedly without irony and just for the joy of it, ever, until this year.  Yeah, it's stupid preseason games, but it was actually fun to watch the Jets for once in a long ass time.  I loved it.  Now they have to back it up!

• Upvote 2