Around the League - notable signings

nycdan

46 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Wait, so that's it?  Claims are done so it means we're sticking with that original 53?  Max Mitchell is our ONE backup Tackle?  We have 27 D-Lineman?  Ashtyn Davis is on the team for real?

JD has always been so active on this day  I guess he's actually pretty happy with the current talent pool.  I'm kinda pleased, somewhat surprised, and a little disappointed at the lack of action.

Yes; claims are done, but that doesn't mean that the roster is finished. Jets can try and sign some of the vets who were release that were not subject to the claim process.

Also, all of the players that were either claimed or signed need spots on the roster. So there will be a mini cut down day as well. These can be the better players as they survived the first cut to 53; the Giants picked up 4, so now they have to cut 4, etc. Some spots will be freed up by moving players to IR, but others will need to be released.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

while i agree we have become quite deep; the truth is, like any team, we are very deep in some positions, but not in others such as OL and safety. Additionally, a bunch of our OL are relatively old - we still need to finish the OL rebuild.

No question. OL LB and S are all potential issues going into next year. If we don't extend Fant we could literally have Max Mitchell as our only tackle. 

Not really surprised that the Jets didn't claim anyone. It was quite an uninspiring list, and a lot of the better guys were players the Jets had just cut like Pinnock and Guidry. Not too many upgrades to be had from the guys available.

I did like Jesse Luketa from the Cards, but I guess the Jets didn't.

Slightly surprised we haven't brought in another offensive tackle yet. I'm guessing that may happen soon, perhaps with Curry going onto IR-R and McDermott being re-signed or another vet OT added off the street.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, varjet said:

How many safeties did the Jets play last year, to get the worst safety play in the league?  If I am JD I am adding a S or two to the PS (including from the current 53).  

Sign Jefferson, Tartt, or Harris.  Davis to PS if he clears waivers.  Maybe Will Parks to PS also, if he doesn't sign elsewhere.

So it's confirmed Jets have the greatest "roster depth" in NFL history.  ?

And yet somehow only managed to win 4 games last season.  The HC must suck if that's the case.

"Depth" only matters if most of your starters are actually good.

If you took all the flotsam claimed of waivers and tried to field a startable football team, they would get their doors blown off by Georgia.

The way Jet mouthpieces EA and EG (and Twitter randoms) keep harping on this, you would think the Jets were so stacked they just cut Terrell Owens from their WR room.

• Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

Perhaps Curry goes to short term IR if Marshall or Anae come back?  I believe to be put on short term IR the player needed to make the 53 first, whereas anyone designated IR during cuts was out for season (Bawden).  
I very well could be wrong though so please one of our roster experts feel free to correct. 

I suspect Curry may go onto IR-R to allow another OT to be added - possibly with McDermott, who the coaches seem to like, returning.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, pointman said:

This continued optimism from you is quite off putting. Do you know what team this is? Who are you?

I don’t quite get how being fair and patiently observing = optimism.

That said, if it triggers folks, then I’m here for it.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

So it's confirmed Jets have the greatest "roster depth" in NFL history.

And yet somehow only managed to win 4 games last season.  The HC must suck if that's the case.

"Depth" only matters if most of your starters are actually good.

If you took all the flotsam claimed of waivers and tried to field a startable football team, they would get their doors blown off by Georgia.

The way Jet mouthpieces EA and EG keep harping on this, you would think the Jets were so stacked they had to cut Tim Brown in his prime from their WR room. ?

Who would you have liked today?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

What's the deal with Jefferson?  He's a 30 yo safety with 4 ints in his career.  We already have Joyner, who at least was very good at one point in his career.

Safety will still be a weakness.  At that point, I think it would have been smarter to hold onto Pinnock and insert him in during the season to have him run with it.  Unless Davis magically does a 180 or "Tony Adams" is the new safety heir.

So much for developing a young secondary.  Outside of Sauce and MCII, we have big FAs and band-aid signings that will lead to more turnover sooner rather than later.  I like our current position for the most part, but I certainly do question the team's hypocritical mantra.

Just now, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

How awesome if that’s how this plays out. Meaning, we actually kept the cream. This freaking franchise has to turn a corner at some point. 

It doesn’t have to but damn it’s time it does.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

More proof that Joe Douglas is the best GM in the league.  We basically had 60 nfl caliber players in camp.  Unbelievable.

Also, 100% right on cutting streveler.  Jet nation geniuses were acting like we let prime Joe Montana go.  Too funny.

Never mind, I’m out. 

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

all of the DB's we waived got claimed but none of the pass rushers. That really surprises me.

Yes and no. Anae has been around and Zuniga, while improved, has the injury bug. Of the two, more surprised by Zuniga. I am a bit surprised Marshall not picked up yet.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Pinnock to the Giants, that sucks.

Look at it this way, Max.  If the Jets didn't select Sauce with the 4th overall pick, he would be starting right now for the NY Giants.  And, then we could still have Pinnock on our roster.  LOL

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Unless we attempted to pick up one of the guys who went to Jacksonville, Detroit or Houston....then Joe D made no waiver claims.

I'm not sure how it works.  But I think you make your waiver claim, and then based upon whoever else makes a waiver claim on that player, the team with the lowest winning percentage that makes the claim gets that player.  So, we can make numerous claims, but not end up with any players based upon the team records.

• Upvote 2