Kudos to Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh

8 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

One of my pet peeves as a Jet fan is when the wheels come off the track, everything goes sideways and we have to finish out the year going nowhere.  It is not the losing believe it or not or being knocked out of the playoffs in November.  It is the complete lack of tomorrow.  Last season I found it difficult to watch games knowing that the era of Starting Safety Sheldon Redwine would be short and most unhappy.  The problem was not the efforts of the young man falling short.  It was the fact that he had just arrived via the waiver wire.  He had not been to camp with us that year or any other year.  The chances of his emergence into a solid player were slim indeed.  Moreover, it was hard too root for the guy.  He just got here.  You just know it is not going to work.

Why can't we have some young - new - never once tried - prospects on the team?  It is not like we were good and had to play the veterans.  I truly have wondered why?   Those last five games of the season are truly garbage time.  Why devote the snaps to a player who has little tread left on his tire and reached his upside long ago.   

Now I am not talking about the draft picks.  I am not even talking about the guys who make the final 53.  I am talking about the people the team invites to training camp.  Part of this is also rewarding those who stick to the grindstone and close in on a NFL pension stringing together practice squad seasons and the rare activation.  Nursing the Lawrence Cagers along builds team chemistry and allows a team to create a core of personalities that reflect who they want the players to be as men.  At the top of the roster, you cannot choose.  At the bottom of the roster, you can.  You have to try to nurture this stuff.  It does not just happen.  

With the additions of players like Tony Adams the Jets not only fight the endless battle to get younger but they also herald the arrival of a young hungry player.  If the wheels come off the track - and I think they will (have you seen the schedule?) - we will have young unknown talent heading into the game instead of Will Parks.   Do not get me wrong, I thought Parks played well.  But we are bottom dwellers and we have to go with the younger guy if we think he has some tomorrow in the tank.  This year we finally got it.  We kept the young players. 

I wish I was optimistic about a successful season.  I too yearn for the Jets to throw Flacco out the window and play Mike White for the sole reason that it would be fun (it would be fun) .

But between this year's draft and free agent crop and last year's draft and free agent crop we have a team chock full of young - new - never once tried talent that I look forward to watching. 

Win or lose.  All season long. 

Jeez, Jet fans. Losing is fun now. lol

12 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

One of my pet peeves as a Jet fan is when the wheels come off the track, everything goes sideways and we have to finish out the year going nowhere.  It is not the losing believe it or not or being knocked out of the playoffs in November.  It is the complete lack of tomorrow.  Last season I found it difficult to watch games knowing that the era of Starting Safety Sheldon Redwine would be short and most unhappy.  The problem was not the efforts of the young man falling short.  It was the fact that he had just arrived via the waiver wire.  He had not been to camp with us that year or any other year.  The chances of his emergence into a solid player were slim indeed.  Moreover, it was hard too root for the guy.  He just got here.  You just know it is not going to work.

Why can't we have some young - new - never once tried - prospects on the team?  It is not like we were good and had to play the veterans.  I truly have wondered why?   Those last five games of the season are truly garbage time.  Why devote the snaps to a player who has little tread left on his tire and reached his upside long ago.   

Now I am not talking about the draft picks.  I am not even talking about the guys who make the final 53.  I am talking about the people the team invites to training camp.  Part of this is also rewarding those who stick to the grindstone and close in on a NFL pension stringing together practice squad seasons and the rare activation.  Nursing the Lawrence Cagers along builds team chemistry and allows a team to create a core of personalities that reflect who they want the players to be as men.  At the top of the roster, you cannot choose.  At the bottom of the roster, you can.  You have to try to nurture this stuff.  It does not just happen.  

With the additions of players like Tony Adams the Jets not only fight the endless battle to get younger but they also herald the arrival of a young hungry player.  If the wheels come off the track - and I think they will (have you seen the schedule?) - we will have young unknown talent heading into the game instead of Will Parks.   Do not get me wrong, I thought Parks played well.  But we are bottom dwellers and we have to go with the younger guy if we think he has some tomorrow in the tank.  This year we finally got it.  We kept the young players. 

I wish I was optimistic about a successful season.  I too yearn for the Jets to throw Flacco out the window and play Mike White for the sole reason that it would be fun (it would be fun) .

But between this year's draft and free agent crop and last year's draft and free agent crop we have a team chock full of young - new - never once tried talent that I look forward to watching. 

Win or lose.  All season long. 

apparently 8 of the players just cut by the jets have been claimed by other teams.  that indicates the jets finally have an abundance of talent assuming the players that were kept are better than the ones released.  i think this is so.  i'm always skeptical of what the reporters say but there does seem to be some excitement over last year's and this year's draft that just doesn't seem to happen much in jet land.  and the free agent signings have also drawn some good praise.  we'll see soon enough if saleh and co can get this team to play to potential.  by game 4 we should have a pretty good indication of where this team is heading.

• Upvote 2

apparently 8 of the players just cut by the jets have been claimed by other teams.  that indicates the jets finally have an abundance of talent assuming the players that were kept are better than the ones released.  i think this is so.  i'm always skeptical of what the reporters say but there does seem to be some excitement over last year's and this year's draft that just doesn't seem to happen much in jet land.  and the free agent signings have also drawn some good praise.  we'll see soon enough if saleh and co can get this team to play to potential.  by game 4 we should have a pretty good indication of where this team is heading.

Or it indicates that the coaching staff cant evaluate talent and cut the wrong guys. We will see but they are a 4 win coaching staff until they prove otherwise. Thats by winning games not by cut downs.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The talent is better on paper, but until they prove it on the field, it's all just hopes and dreams. This team has disappointed me too many times to just blindly believe they got it right without having any tangible results on the field.

I need to see some wins.

Having a large number of cuts claimed by other teams simply means that the bottom of the Jets roster is perceived as better around the league than the bottom of other team rosters. That's a product of having lots of draft picks and lots of cap money in the last few years. It doesn't necessarily mean that the top of the roster is ready to make a run against the top dogs of other teams.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Correct, and it wasn't particularly impressive. Let's see some results in the form of wins.

Correct but you referenced both men in your year after year comment, but you have seen him in year 2, so it didnt make sense.  Anywho, I'm not sure what you expected.  He took over a 2 win team and tore that down.  Arguably the worst roster in the NFL.  Hard to win when you start all over with the youngest and most inexperienced roster in the NFL.  Which was kind of the whole point of the OP's post.  The Jets have young talent, homegrown, developed, so much so that teams wanted their cast offs.  It's drastic change from the past few years and a sign of progress which is what you're looking for a team in rebuild mode. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

I liked the post.  Thanks.  Tired of hearing about the schedule.  It’s the same as everyone else in our division except or two games where we play the last place teams (Broncos and Jaguars).  
As Leon Hess used to say, “just win, baby”.

Umm... Al Davis?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Becton over Justin Jefferson

Kapono over Jamarr Chase

Joe Douglas is responsible for those decisions.

When you factor in age profile (Kupp is king playing with Stafford), they are the 2 most valuable WR assets in the league with both still on rookie deals

They are both top-3 WRs in the NFL already

I love the deal making prowess, but when it comes to player eval and draft pick investment, Joe Douglas needs his head examined 

Dude doesn’t consider level of competition or context and allows himself to be wowed by 1 or 2 plays of highlights and theoretical “upside” while ignoring all the negatives and risk elements

Becton is already done after 2 wasted years.

And Kapono is on the Sam Darnold “inspiring late season run as a rookie deluding fans and org into false hope despite objectively poor metrics” trajectory. 

Worst part is Jets had an absolutely desperate need at WR.  

Moore is talented.  He’s not JJ or Chase.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 5
  • WTF? 1

6 hours ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

I liked the post.  Thanks.  Tired of hearing about the schedule.  It’s the same as everyone else in our division except or two games where we play the last place teams (Broncos and Jaguars).  
As Leon Hess used to say, “just win, baby”.

The Hess quote you are thinking of: “Now lets go out there and show them we're not a bunch of horses asses.”

• Sympathy 1