Kudos to Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh

12 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Unless he has some serious tomorrow in the tank, keeping Ashtyn Davis over Parks doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...

JD and Saleh feel that Parks is a better player now, but Davis has a higher ceiling. 

Do not be surprised if Davis is cut and Parks elevated from the PS after a few games.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, pointman said:

Dude pours his heart out. Writes an essay, submits it, and is feeling good about himself. Gets a ton of upvote karma, then reads the first reply only to be dismantled in a sentence and all this from a person that likes others to refer to him as a urine receptacle. Jeezus.

The JN version of a “welcome to the NFL” moment.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RSJ said:

Or it indicates that the coaching staff cant evaluate talent and cut the wrong guys. We will see but they are a 4 win coaching staff until they prove otherwise. Thats by winning games not by cut downs.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

that's true too but we have seen players like edoga and wesco play for quite some time and they just weren't that great.  their replacements seem better. no telling if they'll be better in another system.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, clayton163v said:

If the wheels come off the track - and I think they will (have you seen the schedule?)

Guy makes post congratulating the GM in his 4th year, while also basically saying he thinks the Jets will be bad again. So when do wins actually matter, you know the way the other 31 teams judge their GMs and HC's? Asking for a friend. 

I'm so tired of winning the offseason and collapsing in Sep. You know what that means? Your roster isn't good. 

• Upvote 1

Why can't we have some young - new - never once tried - prospects on the team?  It is not like we were good and had to play the veterans.  I truly have wondered why?  

Pretty sure the criticism is that they kept around known garbage like Shepherd and a cripple like Curry. Not that they took a chance on younger guys.

• Upvote 1

OI too yearn for the Jets to throw Flacco out the window and play Mike White Chris Streveler for the sole reason that it would be fun (it would be fun) .

But between this year's draft and free agent crop and last year's draft and free agent crop we have a team chock full of young - new - never once tried talent that I look forward to watching. 

Win or lose.  All season long. 

Excellent Excellent Post ... Really. Fixed one small error for you.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

15 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Unless he has some serious tomorrow in the tank, keeping Ashtyn Davis over Parks doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...

I am not sure we have seen the end of that story.  Either way, Ashtyn Davis will have to beat out Adams for playing time.  And I expect plenty of playing time.  I wish I believed Joyner has a full season in him but it is just not realistic.  Love Whitehead though.   He will make a noticeable difference in the run defense right off the bat.  We needed to get better at safety and we did. 

Correct but you referenced both men in your year after year comment, but you have seen him in year 2, so it didnt make sense.  Anywho, I'm not sure what you expected.  He took over a 2 win team and tore that down.  Arguably the worst roster in the NFL.  Hard to win when you start all over with the youngest and most inexperienced roster in the NFL.  Which was kind of the whole point of the OP's post.  The Jets have young talent, homegrown, developed, so much so that teams wanted their cast offs.  It's drastic change from the past few years and a sign of progress which is what you're looking for a team in rebuild mode. 

How dare you post a rational analysis?

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 2

Had some TV time last night and did what any of you would do with a free night and rewatched the Jets/Bucs game.

The player turnover is striking- just from a few months back.  And all of it strikingly good.

Laurence Tuvernay Tardiff, some random RB, random safeties, Keelan Cole, the worst TE’s in the NFL, etc

Some takeaways- my faith in ZW was renewed. His throws were electric-  Can’t wait to watch him this season. The sooner the better.

Wideouts dropped off passes- huge upgrade this year

Bryce Hall isn’t very good- he gets “Big Boyd” by quality wideouts- huge upgrade this year

The pass rush was non-existent - huge upgrade this year

The overall talent has significant LEVELED UP.

Every spot is better- genuinely excited for this season

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

15 hours ago, slats said:

Fun? Sure. But not nearly as cool as playing the Strev. 

Fair enough.  I would enjoy either player.  But let me be clear.  I like Mike White because of his obvious professionalism.  It is clear from watching him work that he has spent countless hours perfecting his ball technique behind the line of scrimmage.  That takes years of practice.  It is why his screen passes and play action fakes come off with precision.  Every single snap taken from center is exactly the same.  He reveals nothing.  Defenders watch his film.  Nothing. 

Mike White comes to work.  He is prepared and has earned his shot.   Zach needs to sit for a year and learn what Mike White knows.  Best technique the Jets have had at QB since Chad.  

15 hours ago, johnnysd said:

So TLDR version...you want to bench Zach and start Mike White....FFS

No.  Zach was born with the Thunderbolt.  Mike White was not.  We  have to make it work.  But:

image.png.0380c529c56bb05bcac4313bd889b413.png

HE DOES NOT RESPECT THE GIFT!

13 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

The talent is better on paper, but until they prove it on the field, it's all just hopes and dreams. This team has disappointed me too many times to just blindly believe they got it right without having any tangible results on the field.

I need to see some wins.

Having a large number of cuts claimed by other teams simply means that the bottom of the Jets roster is perceived as better around the league than the bottom of other team rosters. That's a product of having lots of draft picks and lots of cap money in the last few years. It doesn't necessarily mean that the top of the roster is ready to make a run against the top dogs of other teams.

I hear you all the way.  What I like is the improvement in the general managing.  I agree that Saleh has much to prove.  But Saleh kept the young players and I laud him for it.  You cannot find them if you do  not keep them.  You cannot train them if they are not around.

OK, here it is.  NFL general managing is like playing "Go Fish" with playing cards.  It really is a good analogy.

Your turn arrives.  You have to wisely determine what you want and decide which is the priority since you only get one turn.  If you fail, then you have to pick a card which is a random event.  The NFL GM gets a turn every day.  He picks during the draft and free agency.  He has a limited number of cards.   

An NFL GM must use each turn wisely.  Blaming the GM for a failure to obtain positive results from the random event is illogical.  That is the trough of justice.  Blaming the GM for poor use of his daily turn is fair game.  That is his job. 

Is there a single person on this entire board who will say that Douglas has played "Go Fish" poorly?  He is the best GM in the NFL.  And sooner or later the odds will prevail.   Joe keeps obtaining extra picks and improving the quality of the  ones we have.  And he has done it while digging out of the worst salary cap hole in the entire league since - unlike the other teams down there - we had nothing to show for it.  Neither good young players nor recent winning seasons.

13 hours ago, tommyduhamelshouse said:

Best tandem in 30-40 years

I totally agree about Douglas.  

13 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

We dont measure success with wins…..  that wouldnt be fair.  JD is judged by how hard he tries.  

Nah.  He is judged on how well he manages the events under his control.   The draft is a crapshoot but it is where the talent can be found.  Joe keeps improving our odds at the draft by getting extra picks and improving those we have.  He is constantly gaining an edge.  Every day.   

Preserving Joe's job is the reason I am rooting hard for some success this season.  He is clearly the guy.  Give him ten years and we will be constant winners. 

10 hours ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

I liked the post.  Thanks.  Tired of hearing about the schedule.  It’s the same as everyone else in our division except or two games where we play the last place teams (Broncos and Jaguars).  
As Leon Hess used to say, “just win, baby”.

Fair enough.  I just feel that the programs we are playing ore more mature.  That we still make too many mistakes on both sides of the ball.   A hot Zach would cure many things.

6 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Becton over Justin Jefferson

I like your posts and I will take this on.  We had to take a tackle when we took Becton.  There were two of them.  Joe took the guy with LT upside.   We played him off the bat and he BIT AS A PUPPY.  Everybody needs to put on the tape put up by our man Becton.   He is a stud.  Injuries happen.  Right now his career arc resembles Devin Smith.  Not the talent busts.  Try this on for size.  If Mecki comes back healthy, he pushes the others aside because he is the better players.  I like Fant.  He is a good pass protector.  But Becton is a monster in the zone scheme.  It looks like he cannot stay healthy and it may define his career.  But I find it easy to understand Joe's choice in the draft and consider Becton to be an unfortunate outcome.  But the kid is a stud.  Just watch the film.  

Kapono over Jamarr Chase

What can I say.  I am on record for saying that picking Zach #2 was "collective madness".   Based on Zach's lack of proper footwork when he got here, Occum's Razor suggests that 

@bitonti  is on to something . . .

Nevertheless, Zach carried a first round grade by neutral sources and was the #14 prospect last year.  So it is not Ron Farout territory. 

Joe Douglas is responsible for those decisions.

When you factor in age profile (Kupp is king playing with Stafford), they are the 2 most valuable WR assets in the league with both still on rookie deals.

Kupp was a 4th round pick.  So your complaint applies to the entire NFL.  As for Stafford, he would not have consented to a trade here.

They are both top-3 WRs in the NFL already

I love the deal making prowess, but when it comes to player eval and draft pick investment, Joe Douglas needs his head examined 

Dude doesn’t consider level of competition or context and allows himself to be wowed by 1 or 2 plays of highlights and theoretical “upside” while ignoring all the negatives and risk elements

Becton is already done after 2 wasted years.

And Kapono is on the Sam Darnold “inspiring late season run as a rookie deluding fans and org into false hope despite objectively poor metrics” trajectory. 

Zach appears unready to play professional football.  He really needs to sit and learn what Mike White already sells. 

Worst part is Jets had an absolutely desperate need at WR.  

Moore is talented.  He’s not JJ or Chase.

He is not Chase.  He is JJ.  His stats last year extrapolated for a whole season are rocking stuff.  The Jets have issues.  Moore is not one of them.   

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Guy makes post congratulating the GM in his 4th year, while also basically saying he thinks the Jets will be bad again. So when do wins actually matter, you know the way the other 31 teams judge their GMs and HC's? Asking for a friend. 

I'm so tired of winning the offseason and collapsing in Sep. You know what that means? Your roster isn't good. 

But is that not the point?  We were deluding ourselves that we EVER "WON" the offseason.  All those years of poor performance and idiotic  behavior by our GMs did not result in winning the offseason. 

That did not happen until we hired Joe Douglas.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Had some TV time last night and did what any of you would do with a free night and rewatched the Jets/Bucs game.

The player turnover is striking- just from a few months back.  And all of it strikingly good.

Laurence Tuvernay Tardiff, some random RB, random safeties, Keelan Cole, the worst TE’s in the NFL, etc

Some takeaways- my faith in ZW was renewed. His throws were electric-  Can’t wait to watch him this season. The sooner the better.

Wideouts dropped off passes- huge upgrade this year

Bryce Hall isn’t very good- he gets “Big Boyd” by quality wideouts- huge upgrade this year

The pass rush was non-existent - huge upgrade this year

The overall talent has significant LEVELED UP.

Every spot is better- genuinely excited for this season

Did the same two days ago... and Agree and Endorse this message whole heartedly.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

In his press conference yesterday, Saleh implied that special teams contributions played a part in the decision.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Fair enough.  I would enjoy either player.  But let me be clear.  I like Mike White because of his obvious professionalism.  It is clear from watching him work that he has spent countless hours perfecting his ball technique behind the line of scrimmage.  That takes years of practice.  It is why his screen passes and play action fakes come off with precision.  Every single snap taken from center is exactly the same.  He reveals nothing.  Defenders watch his film.  Nothing. 

Mike White comes to work.  He is prepared and has earned his shot.   Zach needs to sit for a year and learn what Mike White knows.  Best technique the Jets have had at QB since Chad.  

No.  Zach was born with the Thunderbolt.  Mike White was not.  We  have to make it work.  But:

image.png.0380c529c56bb05bcac4313bd889b413.png

HE DOES NOT RESPECT THE GIFT!

I hear you all the way.  What I like is the improvement in the general managing.  I agree that Saleh has much to prove.  But Saleh kept the young players and I laud him for it.  You cannot find them if you do  not keep them.  You cannot train them if they are not around.

OK, here it is.  NFL general managing is like playing "Go Fish" with playing cards.  It really is a good analogy.

Your turn arrives.  You have to wisely determine what you want and decide which is the priority since you only get one turn.  If you fail, then you have to pick a card which is a random event.  The NFL GM gets a turn every day.  He picks during the draft and free agency.  He has a limited number of cards.   

An NFL GM must use each turn wisely.  Blaming the GM for a failure to obtain positive results from the random event is illogical.  That is the trough of justice.  Blaming the GM for poor use of his daily turn is fair game.  That is his job. 

Is there a single person on this entire board who will say that Douglas has played "Go Fish" poorly?  He is the best GM in the NFL.  And sooner or later the odds will prevail.   Joe keeps obtaining extra picks and improving the quality of the  ones we have.  And he has done it while digging out of the worst salary cap hole in the entire league since - unlike the other teams down there - we had nothing to show for it.  Neither good young players nor recent winning seasons.

I totally agree about Douglas.  

Nah.  He is judged on how well he manages the events under his control.   The draft is a crapshoot but it is where the talent can be found.  Joe keeps improving our odds at the draft by getting extra picks and improving those we have.  He is constantly gaining an edge.  Every day.   

Preserving Joe's job is the reason I am rooting hard for some success this season.  He is clearly the guy.  Give him ten years and we will be constant winners. 

Fair enough.  I just feel that the programs we are playing ore more mature.  That we still make too many mistakes on both sides of the ball.   A hot Zach would cure many things.

But is that not the point?  We were deluding ourselves that we EVER "WON" the offseason.  All those years of poor performance and idiotic  behavior by our GMs did not result in winning the offseason. 

That did not happen until we hired Joe Douglas.

Joe Douglass does not have a winning season under his belt. Even mac did for Christ sake. 

19 hours ago, clayton163v said:

I loved your post.  Every Jet fan I have showed it to loved your post.  And you - and the whole board - knows which post I am talking about.

Tom enjoys singular posting success every decade or so. A stopped watch or some such.

10 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Becton over Justin Jefferson

Kapono over Jamarr Chase

Joe Douglas is responsible for those decisions.

When you factor in age profile (Kupp is king playing with Stafford), they are the 2 most valuable WR assets in the league with both still on rookie deals

They are both top-3 WRs in the NFL already

I love the deal making prowess, but when it comes to player eval and draft pick investment, Joe Douglas needs his head examined 

Dude doesn’t consider level of competition or context and allows himself to be wowed by 1 or 2 plays of highlights and theoretical “upside” while ignoring all the negatives and risk elements

Becton is already done after 2 wasted years.

And Kapono is on the Sam Darnold “inspiring late season run as a rookie deluding fans and org into false hope despite objectively poor metrics” trajectory. 

Worst part is Jets had an absolutely desperate need at WR.  

Moore is talented.  He’s not JJ or Chase.

Okay, so you're not exactly wrong but the inherent problem with this argument that continues to give it no validity whatsoever is that you can say this about every single team that doesn't have this player. You can't point to the best player in any given draft and say, "our GM sucks because we don't have that player" because by that logic, 31 GMs in the league suck every single year.