Why he’s my favorite QB

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Don’t disagree.  That’s the way the league has been the majority of the time I’ve been watching.  
Doesn’t change the fact that no one should be comparing numbers from different eras.  It’s two different games, especially at QB

Agreed on NOT comparing numbers between eras. 98 Vinny and 2002 Chad had elite seasons compared to their peers. 

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Our QB barometer is definitely miscalibrated through no fault of our own. Interestingly, this miscalibration manifests itself it two completely contradictory ways:

-Some are reluctant to “give up” on a guy who shows any glimmer of hope (e.g., Geno’s “perfect passer rating” game or Sam’s slightly-better final few weeks of his rookie year). They are sick and tired of what they see as haters trying to destroy any seed of hope.

-While others have taken the opposite approach — identify failure quickly and onto the next— they have just seen this movie so many times and can quote the excuses that will come verbatim.

The commonality is that both “camps” are passionate Jets fans and it’s our emotional investment in the team’s long-term success that drives the opposite approaches. Neither is a “better” or “realer” fan.

Which ones are the "douche" fans? 

Seriously, I think that vast majority of fans fall between those two poles. Cautiously optimistic to hopefully pessimistic. But the extreme positions are what drive internet turbulence and hyperbole of one sort or another. 

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

There were rumors at the time that the reason Rodgers has turned his back on his family is because his family had racial issues with him dating a Japanese woman. He's probably a stuck-up hipster snob, but he does tons for charities, the community, and speaks on social issues. Would seem odd then that a person who is always talking about love and harmony and kindness would be the opposite to his own family unless there was a valid reason for it. To someone like him, maybe his family being racist towards his then-gf was enough. And maybe that is still some form of d-bag, but it's a different form.

Either way, agreed that as fans, it shouldn't have anything to do with anything.

There's other rumors that Olivia Munn drove a wedge. She had this to say:

“They’re all in sports and Aaron is one of the best if not the best quarterback to ever play the game,” Munn explained. “Their work has a direct connection to what he does. At the end of the day, there’s a lot of complications. I don’t think either side of the road is clean, but I do think it’s not OK when you try to stand on someone’s shoulders and then throw dirt in their face, which is what they did for him.”

Doesn't sound like a racist deal. And anyway, I find it really hard to believe every single family member including two younger brothers, one of which is also a semi-celebrity is an irredeemable racist against... Japanese people?? I had also never heard this rumor nor could I find anything about it with a quick google search.

But now we're going down the rabbit hole. The fans shouldn't care if an athlete is a non-criminal scumball. If you want to make a difference, donate your time or money to a charity. All this "but he's a good kid" crap is just another way to put lipstick on a player who sucks.

• Sympathy 1