The case for Ashtyn Davis

wediditjoe

12 minutes ago, slats said:

Just pointing out that the dual narratives of “Joe Douglas is trying to save face on a draft pick,” and, “they like him for special teams,” are both incorrect. The coaches like him. Maybe they want to upgrade from him, but they still like him -at a bare minimum- as depth at safety. 

Agreed, although I think it’s telling that Joe D brought up special teams when asked about that decision. 

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Speaking of "trigger", I seemed to have triggered you with criticism of JD. Damn! He really sh!t the bed with the 2020 draft. 

I wasn’t talking about you. Stop being so sensitive.

The 2020 draft was bad. The two since seem much improved. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 8:27 PM, wediditjoe said:

Let me preface by saying I’m not a fan of Davis at all, from the day he was drafted I hated the pick and he’s done nothing to change my mind since then. In trying to figure out why they chose him over Pinnock (which not a single person is happy about), I believe it may have to do with his play making ability.

Yes the tackling is high school level and has killed us on numerous occasions, but he did flash some big play ability last year. He had 3 forced fumbles, 2 picks, and a half sack for good measure. Not terrible for a part time safety. So I think the coaches may be thinking along those lines in keeping him… and if he can improve the tackling he’s absolutely good enough to have on the team.

This is exactly what I was talking about folks. I believe he made this team for his ability to make game changing plays, and today we got a big one.

3 minutes ago, wediditjoe said:

This is exactly what I was talking about folks. I believe he made this team for his ability to make game changing plays, and today we got a big one.

i dont believe he played at all until it was obvious at the end that Cleeland had to throw it and we needed all the DBs. we rushed just one guy on that last play.

im not a Davis hater but if he is there to make game changing plays he should have been playing more