What about a solid Swing Tackle?

Wouldn't It Be Ironic? Big Joe and Crew do everything they can for Zach to succeed... Play makers, WR, RB, TE, etc. Then, in game one, one of our starting  tackles goes down and is out. In comes 288lb rookie Mike Mitchell. Kid may be good someday. But for now he shouldnt be on the field. He is as raw as they come. Defenses will send the house at Mitchell's side. Who will get hurt? Zach.

Pure Stupidity.

And, no, I didnt think Edoga was great. But you have to have a competent swing tackle on the roster. Hello, Joe???????

As a side note, Ashton Davis is horrible....Everyone knows that. Pinnock got scooped up in a second. Not smart at all,.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 4
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, varjet said:

It did appear that Pinnock was only claimed by the Giants.  So we almost got him back.  I agree that waiving Pinnock and Edoga were bad moves 

I honestly never want to see Edoga or McDermott on the field giving up 8%+ pressure rates. I'd rather take a shot on a complete unknown. So i'm good with Edoga gone. Pinnock seemed like he was a developing player and probably a miscalculation. But let's not act like a backup safety is moving the needle for this team. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, #90 said:

Wouldn't It Be Ironic? Big Joe and Crew do everything they can for Zach to succeed... Play makers, WR, RB, TE, etc. Then, in game one, one of our starting  tackles goes down and is out. In comes 288lb rookie Mike Mitchell. Kid may be good someday. But for now he shouldnt be on the field. He is as raw as they come. Defenses will send the house at Mitchell's side. Who will get hurt? Zach.

Pure Stupidity.

And, no, I didnt think Edoga was great. But you have to have a competent swing tackle on the roster. Hello, Joe???????

As a side note, Ashton Davis is horrible....Everyone knows that. Pinnock got scooped up in a second. Not smart at all,.

I'm frustrated about the Pinnock situation, hopefully the coaches legit see something in A.Davis we don't.

Edoga needed off the squad. It puts us in a hole with depth on the o line, but that is a "rip the band aid off" move that needed to happen. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Edoga needed off the squad. It puts us in a hole with depth on the o line, but that is a "rip the band aid off" move that needed to happen. 

Basically right now we have the 8 OL, all of whom will likely suit up on the 47.  If Duane goes down, Fant moves left and Mitchell comes in to RT.  If Fant goes down, Mitchell plays RT.    If another T goes down, AVT plays T and Hermanns gets elevated.  It is not a terrible, terrible plan.  I like the depth on the interior with Herbig and Feeney (this year only).  

Edoga must have really offended people to not make him worth an emergency T.  I would have signed McDermott to the PS.  

Mitchell is listed at 299.....

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

Basically right now we have the 8 OL, all of whom will likely suit up on the 47.  If Duane goes down, Fant moves left and Mitchell comes in to RT.  If Fant goes down, Mitchell plays RT.    If another T goes down, AVT plays T and Hermanns gets elevated.  It is not a terrible, terrible plan.  I like the depth on the interior with Herbig and Feeney (this year only).  

Edoga must have really offended people to not make him worth an emergency T.  I would have signed McDermott to the PS.  

A post in the Practice Squad thread said we are bringing back McDermott once Curry goes to IR

1 hour ago, varjet said:

If Duane goes down, Fant moves left and Mitchell comes in to RT.  If Fant goes down, Mitchell plays RT.   If another T goes down, AVT plays T and Hermanns gets elevated.  

First time I read through that, it made my head spin.

I think you're right that it isn't the end of the world, but if the team can get winning, it would be nice to have a better plan. 

On 9/1/2022 at 3:58 AM, #90 said:

Pure Stupidity.

I think you're referring g to Max Mitchell.  He is the Jets OT who weighed in at 307 at the combine and is currently listed at 299 on the Jets site.

Why do people make things up?

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, varjet said:

Another option - if Brown goes down, put Fant at LT and AVT at RT, fill in at G with Feeney. If Fant is out, AVT at RT, Feeney at RG.

All depends how they feel about Mitchell ... may also depend how early / late in the season we have to consider this; Mitchell may be too raw to throw in initially but might be a better bet later in the year.

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

I think you're referring g to Max Mitchell.  He is the Jets OT who weighed in at 307 at the combine and is currently listed at 299 on the Jets site.

Why do people make things up?

Recent article / interview have him around 315 now. For what it's worth.

• Upvote 1

On 9/1/2022 at 7:10 AM, UnknownJetFan said:

Right now if we lost a starting tackle, I did see AVT on depth charts as a backup tackle. So, with our inside depth I would think they would reshuffle the line with either Herbig or Feeney going to Guard and AVT taking the tackle spot.

Duh someone gets it

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

Daryl Williams, Eric Fisher, Bobbie Massie, Jason Peters, Brandon Shell, Bryan Bulaga, Nate Solder.  Not saying they are saviours, but there are still guys out there who could step in if need be.

Are you advocating signing one of these guys or pointing out that there are guys on the street we can pick up later if something goes wrong?  Peters for instance would probably be a bit pricey and only worth it if he had to play - though it looks like he will be doing that for the Cowboys.  For all the "anything is better crowd" remember that is how we ended up blowing $8M on Ryan Kalil. 

4 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Daryl Williams, Eric Fisher, Bobbie Massie, Jason Peters, Brandon Shell, Bryan Bulaga, Nate Solder.  Not saying they are saviours, but there are still guys out there who could step in if need be.

Looks like peters to the cowboys. But Williams, fisher and Bulaga were all, at one time, above average 

On 9/1/2022 at 2:10 PM, Bungaman said:

Maybe we should wait until the start of the regular season (or even two games in, when the contract/cap rules change) to see if JD makes any more moves before concluding that getting another tackle or other roster adjustments are not on the table?

Absolutely logical.

refreshing to see around here

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Are you advocating signing one of these guys or pointing out that there are guys on the street we can pick up later if something goes wrong?  Peters for instance would probably be a bit pricey and only worth it if he had to play - though it looks like he will be doing that for the Cowboys.  For all the "anything is better crowd" remember that is how we ended up blowing $8M on Ryan Kalil. 

I am not advocating for anything.  He asked what about a swing tackle, and I listed guys still available, most who are WAY better than Ryan Kalil and would not come at that price.

On 9/1/2022 at 2:02 PM, BCJet said:

So we have 2 tackles who were penciled in as starters, then we draft a mid round OT to develop.  We lose a starter and then immediately sign a veteran to start, keeping Mitchell in a developmental role and that still isn’t good enough - who would you guys like to bring in here?

And for those saying we shouldnt have waived Chuma Edoga have you watched him play football?  I’d rather have max Mitchell and it’s not close. 

The issue is we need possibly another tackle, but don’t need or want to spend 5M+ on one as a backup.