How much more time should Joe Douglas have?

DjHoldyHold

As we know, the Jets have been bad. However, over the last few seasons, the bottom of our roster has gotten significantly better, and the middle of our roster has added more legitimate NFL talent. It's apparent Douglas' strategy has been to build up the roster from the ground up, improving the worst players of our team through draft picks and moderate FA signings. I like this approach, and we should be in great shape with a decent roster assuming this years picks pan out. How much time would you give Douglas to keep building this roster? I would give him 2-3 years after this season to allow him to keep filling up our roster. If Wilson hits, we should be competitive. If not, we would be in the market for a QB to walk into a great situation, like Lance, Russel Wilson, and Stafford.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

Article after article have described the Jets' change in roster quality as an example for others and amazing. We had 7 cut players signed by other teams which may be a record. That doesn't include the 4 that were signed in the previous cut down. There are  still some holes in the team: OL, S, LB, and backup QB and maybe starting QB. He gets at least another couple of years before this question even comes up.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

He's done great building the roster, however he's had ENORMOUS fire power, with top draft picks to multiple first and second round picks, plus a sh*t ton of cap space. But with all that, he's done great.

But as our team matures, he'll be picking one player at or near the bottom of each round. So then the question becomes "How well can JD maintain or even improve an already good roster with little draft capital? How well will he manage the cap when all this talent comes due?

The answer is probably right before our eyes.....Joe Douglas' career will go as Zack Wilson's career goes. If ZW is truly a FQB, then the next decade will be a sweet ride. If not, we know how this plays out.

• Upvote 1

Really is up to Zach at this point. The talent level pretty much across the rest of the team is way better. That’s his doing. In reality, Zach is the 2nd  1st rd pick JD has made a decision on. Darnold was his first, and he made the right move in trading  him. Zach is his 2nd, and hopefully he will be a successful decision as well.

• Upvote 1

QB is still the most important position, and there is a bit of luck with that too.  It's a crapshoot.  He has proven he can build a roster, but taking that next step requires some things falling our way.  If Saleh sh*ts the bed, I would absolutely let Joe hire the next coach.  He should be extended... people underestimate the value of continuity, and Joe is creating continuity in the front office... and more important respect for our front office.  He will get things wrong, miss on picks or acquisitions... but it would hard to argue that from a personnel standpoint that we haven't improved.  It's now on Saleh to continue developing the players and show progress on the field as a team. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

If project Wilson is a hot mess this year, he'll get a chance to figure it out, though likely not at the expense of another top 5 draft pick QB...

Not sure what kind of FA QB would be enough though... We'd have to be one of the unlikely suitors of a Rus Wilson type situation. Not sure who that would be in '23... Kyler Murray?  The NFC is wildly devoid of FQBs. Lamar situation goes nowhere in BAL maybe this year?... Carr.... eh. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If project Wilson is a hot mess this year, he'll get a chance to figure it out, though likely not at the expense of another top 5 draft pick QB...

Not sure what kind of FA QB would be enough though... We'd have to be one of the unlikely suitors of a Rus Wilson type situation. Not sure who that would be in '23... Kyler Murray?  The NFC is wildly devoid of FQBs. Lamar situation goes nowhere in BAL maybe this year?... Carr.... eh. 

Kirk Cousins will be available in 2024....

Ugh.

• Upvote 1

I keep seeing things said like 'He's improved our roster '. He has? WR is good now. OL, LB and DB are awful. Doesn't an improved roster get called such because of wins? In team sports what other defining metric is there? It's like people are trying to use The Force on me to get their point across. I think some people are still stuck in the days of '5-year plan', as well. 

'I love our GM!'

'We lost again.'

'Hater!'

Nah, wins are actual things, guys. 

• Upvote 2

This may be his make or break year.

Especially in light of the Becton and Wilson picks  oh and that win - loss record ?

He needs wins and not just 5 or 6.

If Wilson can stay on the field and show significant progress and the most recent draft picks produce he will be safe.

If not he should go and Saleh should probably exit with him.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

25 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Why is this even a topic / question?  

Why aren’t people looking forward to the 2022 season?  Why aren’t people excited to see all the 1st and 2nd yr players?  Just mind boggling. 

image.thumb.png.cfefb7319cd1c74384f5ebd0b45d5883.png

You got a scrapper who should get a chance to start, you have a 2nd year QB that hasn't shown any progress, and you have a vet that has seen his better days in a rearview mirror.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Paradis said:

My man here acting like we’re not going to get Jimmy G and be told to like it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

He certainly gets at least this season.  Let's see what happens.  I've always felt that a GM should get at least 3 years and get to pick a HC unless something goes terribly wrong.  

Yeah, I know, Idzik didn't get 3 years, but I think he was an outlier in that he was clearly in way over his head. But waiting too long can be a problem, too, as we saw with Mac who got 5 years but should have been gone after 3.

• Upvote 1

He should have the time he signed his contract for... 5 years. 

He knew what he was getting into and why he demanded a 5 year contract. 

Saleh (IF!! he is proving bad) should be on the same exit timeline at the end of 2023. That will give him 3 years to have completed the rebuild.