How much more time should Joe Douglas have?

DjHoldyHold

Like everything in life - It Depends...

• If Z. Wilson + Roster + HC win games and look like studs - Obvious keep
  • If Z. Wilson SUCKS + Roster Studs + HC scratching out tough wins - Keep but need to solve QB next year
  • If Z. Wilson SUCKS + HC outreached each week - Reset the GM and HC together at end of the season
  • Upvote 1

I mean, he's only had one shot at a rebuild. So after this year, the contracts for guys he drafted will be coming up so he'll be rebuilding his rebuild in 2023-2024 and that went so well the last time with Mac, I see no reason not to do it again. Since he's rebuilding his rebuild and a rebuild takes 6 years.. so about 8 more years before we really should be talking about this. 

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

This may be his make or break year.

Especially in light of the Becton and Wilson picks  oh and that win - loss record ?

He needs wins and not just 5 or 6.

If Wilson can stay on the field and show significant progress and the most recent draft picks produce he will be safe.

If not he should go and Saleh should probably exit with him.

The idea that you should fire these guys at the end of any non-winning season seems a bit much.  I agree that should put them on the hot seat, but they seem headed in the right direction even if it is a bit slower than we'd like.  I get that early adopters would say that's it, I am done with them.  OTOH, even if they are probably right, I think a staff deserves more than 2 seasons to show that they can put together a winning team.

• Upvote 3

You can tell the roster is better by the growing absurdity of the criticism. Last week it was how Douglas was an idiot because he hadn't cut a fourth string QB before the last preseason game because he wasn't asked to run wildcat plays and doesn't play special teams. Today it's wanting to cut the GM in two years if he whiffed on the QB, but also the roster is now so improved from his work that Stafford would leave the team that just won the Super Bowl to come here. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 3

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Douglas is far better than any GM we've had in decades and it isn't close.  

And for those who say he needs to live or die by Zach:

Ozzie drafted Kyle Boller once.  Should BAL have fired him for that failure?

He (Newsome) had recently won a SB, so...

14 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Douglas is far better than any GM we've had in decades and it isn't close.  

And for those who say he needs to live or die by Zach:

Ozzie drafted Kyle Boller once.  Should BAL have fired him for that failure?

Different animal though, no?   Ozzie already had a super bowl under his belt and Kyle Boller won the division as a rookie.  OTOH, the Ravens started off 4-12, 6-9-1, 6-10 and 8-8 before they went 12-4 and won the Super Bowl.  They switched coaches from Marchibroda to Bilick after the 3rd year

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

OL and DB are awful?  Based on what?  The O line wasn't even awful last season and it had a HUGE upgrade in Tomlinson for LDT/Van Roten and a smaller upgrade in Brown for. Moses.  Our DBs were not good last year, but they only lost Maye and added Sauce, Reed, Whitehead and have Joyner coming back from injury.   If they are awful, I will assert that it is more scheme than talent.  I agree that we need to see wins, but much of that is on coaching and QB - yes the GM is on the hook for those things too. 

I guess I'm just over this can do no wrong attitude for a guy with 6 wins to his name if we're giving him the mulligan for year 1 as he didn't draft that group. Zach and Becton look like terrible picks. 

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, DjHoldyHold said:

As we know, the Jets have been bad. However, over the last few seasons, the bottom of our roster has gotten significantly better, and the middle of our roster has added more legitimate NFL talent. It's apparent Douglas' strategy has been to build up the roster from the ground up, improving the worst players of our team through draft picks and moderate FA signings. I like this approach, and we should be in great shape with a decent roster assuming this years picks pan out. How much time would you give Douglas to keep building this roster? I would give him 2-3 years after this season to allow him to keep filling up our roster. If Wilson hits, we should be competitive. If not, we would be in the market for a QB to walk into a great situation, like Lance, Russel Wilson, and Stafford.

He gets next F/A period and draft.  After that, the collar is going to get hot.  I think Zach gets this year and this year alone.  If he doesn't pan out, this roster has enough talent to win with a good QB.  

NOW.....where to find said good QB.

• Upvote 1

The question is framed in a way that seems like we need to be in a rush to move onto new general managers. If a GM is obviously doing a horrific  job then yea, move on quickly. But if not I'd prefer to give them time to build something. Constantly starting over isn't helpful.

JD does some things very well and the roster is getting better. I like that and want to see it play out further. How long does he get? Uh, until things look like they're going very badly. So far the arrows are pointing up IMO.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas will be here until he reitres.  Ill say 20 more years.  hes our Ozzie Newsome.

You sound very confident.

Would you wager on it?  Lets say you will delete your JN forum account if JD leaves before he retires.  

That should be a good gauge of your real confidence here.

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Pretty much. He's not perfect, but he's done enough that this team should be competitive. I would think he goes the veteran QB route if Wilson doesn't work out. Garappolo seems like the obvious choice. After that...Tannehill?? No idea. 

You could take my post two ways.  Zach has a 15 year great run and Joe picks his replacement or Zach fails and we replace him in a year or two.  Same is true for Saleh.

The hope is Zach and Saleh are both here for 10 to 15 years and we have lots of playoff apperances and shots at the title.  If that happens you definetely want Douglas making the next pick.  

I think Douglas has done enough to be the GM even if both Zach and Saleh fail.  Certainly if they succeed you want him here for a very long time.  He's done enough to date to show basic competence.  The trade of Adams was a home run.   You don't get rid of a competent GM if you're a Jets fan.  The idiot hiring the next GM has very high odds that he will hire an incompetent.   In spite of the odds it looks like we got at the very least competence.  We may have done better than that.  TBD....

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

I guess I'm just over this can do no wrong attitude for a guy with 6 wins to his name if we're giving him the mulligan for year 1 as he didn't draft that group. Zach and Becton look like terrible picks. 

I don't think too many people have a can do no wrong attitude.  Becton vs. Wirfs seems like a bad one.  OTOH, the Giants and Browns both took tackles before Wirfs and Becton and I think we would feel at least a little better about comparing Becton to Thomas or Wills.    Trading down for Mims looked like a good move for almost a year, but there were plenty of WR that went where our 2nd was. 

I am not a guy flat out blaming Gase, but I think Mims, Davis, and Perine all were picked for a different scheme so I am not blowing up too hard over that.  I think the change in coaches and half season in 2019 gives him at least a decent discount on blame for those two seasons.  He made mistakes but many were understandable or excusable - like Kalil.  If he keeps making the same mistakes I would kill him for it, but he seems to have learned and be on the same page as this staff.  We need to see wins, but there is more to it than that.  People are terrified to play the Ravens in the opener, well they had a losing record last year.   

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I would take that bet but in the small chance I am wrong, I wouldnt just be deleting my JN account, I would be robbing legions of members of this board of my insightful and awesome takes on this team.  And thats not fair to them.

Thank you Joe W. Namath, THANK YOU!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

He was, yes. Roseman was executive VP of Football Ops though and Joe's boss. 

So going by that train of thought, does Pederson not have a SB ring because Roseman was his boss.

If the Jets win a SB in the near future, wouldn't Saleh and Rex Hogan deserve some credit for winning it.

7 minutes ago, Claymation said:

So going by that train of thought, does Pederson not have a SB ring because Roseman was his boss.

If the Jets win a SB in the near future, wouldn't Saleh and Rex Hogan deserve some credit for winning it.

Yeah but how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go? It's like you so badly want Joe to have been the Eagles GM but he wasn't.