Zach Wilson: "Could Be Ready for Week 1"

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Listen, there is a huge difference between "hope" and "expect". 

I hope you, me and all the other usual Zach critics are wrong and that Zach wins more Super Bowls than Brady and breaks all of Peyton's records. We would have an awesome next 15 years as football fans and we could talk smack to all the people that have clowned us for being Jets fans. I would take unbelievable joy in that happening. 

I don't take any great joy in having my expectations pan out about a given football player. Who the hell cares about my opinion about football players? I can barely get people to care about my legal opinions and they actually pay me for that!

That being said, there are some of us that just don't see the "special prospect' many of you see in Zach Wilson. Aesthetically, he throws a beautiful pass and he has an ability to throw with impressive velocity from odd angles. He's also a twitchy athlete that can run. 

Aside from that? I don't get the hype. He is inaccurate, is constantly late on this throws, has trouble processing what the defense is doing and he becomes skittish the minute there is any heat in the pocket. I just don't think the kid has it upstairs. To me, he's like a sober, non-doucehbag Manziel with a much stronger arm. 

Its just hard for me to see stats like the following and be optimistic:

I've seen that metric before maury.  I think as an individual assessment it's about as useless as TTT. It's viable as a team metric though. The emphasis/ weight is on making a first down.  On a run heavy team that keeps putting the QB in 3rd and long,  well it's not on ZW alone. 

I'm also sure buffalo fans were pointing to stats to justify Allen as a bust when some of his stats were worst in NFL history.  

I do like that you used "expect" because that is fair and I also think it's fair to expect ZW not to pan out. There are several on here who confuse expectations with "reality"

• Upvote 2

what really sucks for this long timer old timer is that we're gonna all have to sit there in front of our TVs and watch another season go down the drain by one more foolish Woody Johnson edict that makes whoever is coaching the team to have to start his latest prized pup Zach Geno Sam Sanchez Wilson when he should not even BE the starter based on any criteria other than where he was chosen. He is the least talented man in the QB room. And we have to watch it happen again. We have to watch (for as long as we'll be able to stand anyway) one more Jets season in Tanksville when it doesn't have to be that way

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So what, are we supposed to be scared of the Ravens? 

herm GIF

I mean I am.  They've been kicking our asses for decades and the likelihood is high they'll do it again in Week 1. 

I sure hope the players aren't scared.  But if you're also suggesting we send Wilson up against Baltimore with a balky knee I'm not sure what you think there is to gain there.  He needs to be in good physical shape for this one.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I assume you mean who among the 2021 class?  I think Mac Jones can be a lower end starter in this league.  Same goes for Davis Mills.  Fields in my mind has the best shot to “make it” and reach an above average level or better.  

I’m not bullish on Lawrence, Wilson or Lance at the moment.  

Approaching the draft last year I wanted the Jets to go with Fields, Lance, or a vet option like Trubisky/Minshew/Winston.  In the process either trading down or taking Pitts at 2.

Alright the fact that you think Mac Jones, Mills and Justin Fields will all be better QBs than Zach tells me all I need to know when it comes to your opinion on rating QBs ???

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Alright the fact that you think Mac Jones, Mills and Justin Fields will all be better QBs than Zach tells me all I need to know when it comes to your opinion on rating QBs ???

I'll remember this post a couple years from now.  You're awfully smug on your opinion of the 32nd-rated QB last year who looked awful in his lone preseason action before getting his knee crushed.  Good luck with that take.  It's worked out well with young Jet QB's over the years.

You seem like a young-ish dude.  You'll learn eventually.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

I was right there with you until the end, Wilson is a twitchy athlete. He's not going to be Lamar or Josh Allen, but he can pick up yards with his feet, but the threat of injury worries me if he starts running too much. 

"Twitchy".  Are you describing his knee here? 

I fail to see anything special about Wilson as a runner compared to the rest of the field of NFL QBs, which has gotten more and more athletic over the last few years.  One nice run against an awful Jaguar D does not change this.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll remember this post a couple years from now.  You're awfully smug on your opinion of the 32nd-rated QB last year who looked awful in his lone preseason action before getting his knee crushed.  Good luck with that take.  It's worked out well with young Jet QB's over the years.

You seem like a young-ish dude.  You'll learn eventually.  

Yeah so every QB they ever draft will be a bust cause they play for the Jets, got it. Doesn’t matter how skilled they are 

10 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yeah so every QB they ever draft will be a bust cause they play for the Jets, got it. Doesn’t matter how skilled they are 

I don't think you can blame people for being pessimistic after being beaten down for so many years. It does sometimes feel like whomever the Jets pick will end up not working out for whatever reason. 

I do agree with your basic premise - How Sanchez or Geno or Darnold (or whomever) performed here has nothing to do with how Wilson will ultimately do here. Parcells used to laugh at this stuff and call it "decade stuff" - historical examples or trends that have no bearing on the current coaching staff and roster. The difference is, fans remember (and relive) all of the failures in excruciating detail. Coaches and players get to move on after a few years. It's just a matter of perspective. 

47 minutes ago, PorP said:

I've seen that metric before maury.  I think as an individual assessment it's about as useless as TTT. It's viable as a team metric though. The emphasis/ weight is on making a first down.  On a run heavy team that keeps putting the QB in 3rd and long,  well it's not on ZW alone. 

I'm also sure buffalo fans were pointing to stats to justify Allen as a bust when some of his stats were worst in NFL history.  

I do like that you used "expect" because that is fair and I also think it's fair to expect ZW not to pan out. There are several on here who confuse expectations with "reality"

The only thing I'd say is that, in general, if you like Wilson, your best argument shouldn't be trying to defend the indefensible - he did suck as a rookie, there is no way around that. The better argument is that we all tend to overreact to rookie seasons (good and bad). 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Some memes are tired but this is one thousand percent you and Shane watching the Jets this year if Wilson has any success

image.png.0fbf4cabf03fa91de09486545dd28679.png

Yeah, this is exactly why I don't go all in for or against players on the Jets anymore. Once you do that it becomes impossible to just be a Jets fan. There are 5-6 posters who will ardently root against ZW which is rooting against the Jets, becuase if he has any success at all they will have egg all over their face and of course will come in with the "of course I love this, its great for the Jets" but will be total BS. Not saying its likely ZW will have success, but the overly strong projections against a Jet player makes things very complicated as a fan. I have done it before and it doesnt work well

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

56 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's as if Jets fans don't watch any other QB's around the league.

There's a reason the opinions around the league are lukewarm regarding Zach Wilson's chances.  He's not "exceptional" when compared to other QB's.  Like, at all.  People are trying to create this enormous ceiling for Wilson in their minds that simply doesn't exist.  

I agree.  His only real above-average skill/talent is arm strength. 

Everything else he is either average (mobility) or below-average (accuracy, touch, decision making, durability).

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Yeah, this is exactly why I don't go all in for or against players on the Jets anymore. Once you do that it becomes impossible to just be a Jets fan. There are 5-6 posters who will ardently root against ZW which is rooting against the Jets, becuase if he has any success at all they will have egg all over their face and of course will come in with the "of course I love this, its great for the Jets" but will be total BS. Not saying its likely ZW will have success, but the overly strong projections against a Jet player makes things very complicated as a fan. I have done it before and it doesnt work well

No one is "rooting against" Wilson. 

Evaluation =/= hatred, dislike, rooting against, or any other foolishness.

But please, enjoy the "I'm a better fan than you" fantasy roleplaying.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Agree!  I'm on record as saying if Zach is still terrible by Week 10, it's legitimately time to pull the band-aid off and move on.   Especially if the rest of the roster looks good, and we're maybe "a quarterback away". 

Truly don't understand making a position on any player part of your persona, but whatever.

5 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

This should be the obvious reality, but I've read too much on this board to actually believe it lol.  There are some out there.

People on this board spew so much venom towards Zach there’s no way I picture them sitting in front of their TVs on Sunday and actually rooting for him. Then they’ll come back here and say “I’ve always rooted for the kid” blah blah blah ..

no if you’re not on the Zach bandwagon now I don’t want to see these same posters coming back here celebrating if he does actually have success and lead us towards victories. Can’t have it both ways 

• Thumb Down 2

32 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

yeah the telltale sign of someone rooting against zach is when they say "I'd love it if zach was good"

such posers

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

They’ve evolved.. they are no longer fans, they’re unpaid beat writers - Cimini soldiers, Manish minions.

18 hours ago, NamathToSauer said:

So, have Zach practice with the starters for several weeks but not play and have  Flacco or White go into the game without practice reps with the starters. That's a recipe for success 

I am just saying why rush the kid back, have you not learned anything being a Jets fan about injuries and rushing players back and how it usually ends up. Like I said in many posts, why take the risk for a week or two. People need to chill the F out nobody is bashing Wilson,  we just want to see things done right not just for the media whores and ratings. 
It’s a long season and Wilson has been injured twice and hasn’t finished a season. 

What is it do you just want to see him in the home opener is that what the goal is or would you prefer, hopefully, long term success. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Generationally exceptionally elite special athlete, right?

Nothing little a little hyperbole-as-usual on a Friday morning.

Nah, I answered the question already.

I just love that in order for you to justify for attack of me you have to make up words that I said.  

No Hyperbole, what I said he's an exceptional athlete and he is. 

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

what really sucks for this long timer old timer is that we're gonna all have to sit there in front of our TVs and watch another season go down the drain by one more foolish Woody Johnson edict that makes whoever is coaching the team to have to start his latest prized pup Zach Geno Sam Sanchez Wilson when he should not even BE the starter based on any criteria other than where he was chosen. He is the least talented man in the QB room. And we have to watch it happen again. We have to watch (for as long as we'll be able to stand anyway) one more Jets season in Tanksville when it doesn't have to be that way

This x 1000000000000000000

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean I am.  They've been kicking our asses for decades and the likelihood is high they'll do it again in Week 1. 

I sure hope the players aren't scared.  But if you're also suggesting we send Wilson up against Baltimore with a balky knee I'm not sure what you think there is to gain there.  He needs to be in good physical shape for this one.

I kind of like this idea. As @Creepy Lurker suggested, lets just get it over with.  Rip the band-aid off.  I was all for starting someone who gives us a chance to win. But getting him out there against the toughest part of our schedule, kills two birds with one stone.  After he is out 8-10 weeks with an injury, a better QB can step in and make this season competitive. 

The NFL is a man's league.  Zach isn't cut out for it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1