Zach Wilson: "Could Be Ready for Week 1"

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

This. The relentless bashing of Zach in every thread has just made this a tiresome and much less fun to be. At a time when we should all be filled with anticipation and excitement for the season a group of posters make it all about Zach being bad in their eyes, with many of the arguments being just plain stupid- "Zach is not athletic" to just pure trolling "Zach sucks"

Look you can be anti-Zach, Zach doubting, Zach super fan and everything in between but the only thing we know is this:

There are reasons to doubt Zach and reasons to have confidence in Zach. it is certainly true that JD has lived up to his promise to surround Zach with support.

No one knows the ultimate answer and saying he will suck or he will be great 1000 times makes neither outcome more likely. We just need to watch and find out

Just use the ignore feature if it's impacting your fun. It's there for a reason. Couple clicks is all it takes.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

There are reasons to doubt Zach and reasons to have confidence in Zach. it is certainly true that JD has lived up to his promise to surround Zach with support.

No one knows the ultimate answer and saying he will suck or he will be great 1000 times makes neither outcome more likely. We just need to watch and find out

not-so-bold prediction:  10 days from now, we will be discussing how Robert Saleh botched at least 1 or 2 ciritical in-game decisions

Either that, or the team gets its doors blown off from the jump, and instead of questioning Saleh as to why the team wasn't prepared to play football, 90% of the fanbase gets triggered into clamoring for Kapono to come back and save the season

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

This. The relentless bashing of Zach in every thread has just made this a tiresome and much less fun to be. At a time when we should all be filled with anticipation and excitement for the season a group of posters make it all about Zach being bad in their eyes, with many of the arguments being just plain stupid- "Zach is not athletic" to just pure trolling "Zach sucks"

Look you can be anti-Zach, Zach doubting, Zach super fan and everything in between but the only thing we know is this:

When I come on here or mistakenly glance at social media and see posts hyping Zach up beyond reason, I find it tiresome and less enjoyable because there is little room for discussion/opposing views with certain people who have already anointed him as Burrow Jr.

Feel free to be optimistic, I won't disparage anyone for that.  But I come on a forum like this to discuss points about this team (which are usually bad given their lack of success), not to circle-jerk about how magical people think this team will be.

So is there a side of the coin for anyone like me, or is it only for optimists like you? 

The solution is to ignore (the actual button) those you claim to be the "blatant Zach trolls" and stop complaining about it.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

oh, but it had everything to do with you, everything does, its your world, we all just live in it.....

This is all nonsense and just proves that you can't handle when someone criticizes your woefully bad take.

But, carry on.

And feel free to have the last word!

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Just use the ignore feature if it's impacting your fun. It's there for a reason. Couple clicks is all it takes.

He shouldn't have to.

Zach Wilson was bad 7 of the first 8 games of NFL career - and many here are relentlessly calling him a bust already.  It's not a discussion it's just nonsensical attacks.  

I don't see anyone claiming he was good last year - but we shouldn't have to go into every thread and have a handful of people destroy it with their ridiculousness  - that's clearly trolling (To be clear, I don't think you're one of them) -- and it truly harms the board.

He shouldn't need to ignore the problems - the problems should be stopped from derailing every thread.

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He shouldn't need to ignore the problems - the problems should be stopped from derailing every thread.

You'd fit in very well on the Patriots forum.  

Sounds like you and Mog and several others are on the same page, you seem to want active censorship of the forum, eliminating those holding opinions you find to be negative. 

Several of you clearly don't think you have any responsibility for choosing the content you consume, i.e. to ignore posters you dislike, to ignore threads whose content you won't enjoy, etc.  And none of you ever seem willing to name these "others" as Mog calls them, that need be silenced.

So perhaps you all should actually go ahead and ask Max to implement what you want. 

Lets see what he thinks.  Maybe then we can get past these whining complains once and for all, one way or the other.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I view the Jets from the perspective of, “What is keeping them from being successful?” And if it’s easy to identify *the* guy that’s preventing them from being good, I automatically hate that guy. I don’t root for that guy. I want that guy replaced immediately. Zach is currently that guy. The team has looked relatively promising when Zach isn’t playing, so we have evidence that Zach Wilson is the main cause of Jets despair, currently. Compounding the issue was that the reasons Zach is That Guy right now were evident and predictable, and the great bulk of the available data we have suggests he’s going to continue to be that guy. 

Look, I don't disagree that I think Zach is the primary thing that can hold this team back.  If Zach plays at a middle of the road level this team should be competitive, if he grows into a top 10 guy - this can be a true contender.

With that said, I think this idea that the team was somehow good without him is just patently false.  it's something people say around here without supporting it with any facts.  For the record.  Zach was 3 and 9 where he finished the game (33%).  The others were 1 and 4 (25%) 

That claim is simply not true.  You can point to a good game with White for sure - the rest was mostly garbage.  Happy to go game by game but not really the point.

54 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sounds like you and Mog and several others are on the same page, you seem to want active censorship of the forum, eliminating those holding opinions you find to be negative. 

Several of you clearly don't think you have any responsibility for choosing the content you consume, i.e. to ignore posters you dislike, to ignore threads whose content you won't enjoy, etc.  And none of you ever seem willing to name these "others" as Mog calls them, that need be silenced.

So perhaps you all should actually go ahead and ask Max to implement what you want. 

Lets see what he thinks.  Maybe then we can get past these whining complains once and for all, one way or the other.

Sounds like, you didn’t read my post clearly, if at all, considering that my entire point was that healthy criticism and discussion are perfectly fine.  I’d love nothing more than for this forum to turn into a healthy place to discuss actual football again.  If someone wants to scream to anyone that will listen that they just don’t like Wilson, don’t believe he will work out, and here is why, then go ahead.  I have zero issues with that.  There are plenty of players I have done that with.  That all being said, someone aggressively trolling, talking about how they’re happy/relieved our starting QB almost blew his knee out so they don’t have to watch him play, and destroying 8 different threads is not healthy criticism or discussion, and should be actively discouraged.  Furthermore, I’d be happy to name names, if calling people out wasn't already prohibited.

The fact that you’re complaining about what I said, along with the portion of @FidelioJets post that simply says “the problems should not derail every thread” speaks volumes.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

This is all nonsense and just proves that you can't handle when someone criticizes your woefully bad take.

But, carry on.

And feel free to have the last word!

what in the crap are you talking about? I never once said you rooted against ZW, but there damn sure are posters who absllutely will. If you don't, good for you, if you do, good for you. Now go upstairs and ask your mom to heat up some meatballs for you and have her tell you how special you are

47 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He shouldn't have to.

Zach Wilson was bad 7 of the first 8 games of NFL career - and many here are relentlessly calling him a bust already.  It's not a discussion it's just nonsensical attacks.  

I don't see anyone claiming he was good last year - but we shouldn't have to go into every thread and have a handful of people destroy it with their ridiculousness  - that's clearly trolling (To be clear, I don't think you're one of them) -- and it truly harms the board.

If it's not upsetting enough to click ignore, I'm sorry then it's not upsetting enough to complain about it and try to shift more work to the volunteer mods to try to ferret out opinions that you don't like.

Click the button. Bye bye posters who have opinions that ruin your day.

And regarding the derailing comment -- complaining about "da haterz" is what has now derailed this thread. Another thing ignoring posters can solve.

It's a two-fer.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

The zach haters have been burned by this franchise so often that their defense mechanism is just to hate every Jets player especially ones that have yet to live up to the hype. 

Most are bitter  psl holders. I can't imagine being duped into such a horrible deal and to add salt to the wound....having to suffer watching this team.  So I kind of get their coping mechanism..

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The zach haters have been burned by this franchise so often that their defense mechanism is just to hate every Jets player especially ones that have yet to live up to the hype. 

Most are bitter  psl holders. I can't imagine being duped into such a horrible deal and to add salt to the wound....having to suffer watching this team.  So I kind of get their coping mechanism..

Yeah, being pessimistic about his chances to become a FQB is totally an emotional-defense mechanism with absolutely no basis in reality.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Honestly, I don’t thinks a fair assesment of what I said. I guess the question is, do you believe trolls can ruin legitimate discourse?

btw. I surely don’t think you’re one of them.  We disagree but I never find you to be disingenuous.  
My concern is with the hacks that destroy every thread.  I typically ignore most of them (not ignore button but just don’t bother) and hope they go away, but new people don’t know yet and it becomes a sh*t show and becomes unreadable.  

That’s all. 

2 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

If he even produces an average season, as in middle of the pack in completion %, TD/INT, YPA, we’ll all be happy with that. It’d be a huge jump and undeniable improvement. 

If he is top 16 in any of the following statistics -- comp. %, TDs, yards -- I will be satisfied with the trend.

But I'm just a big mean hater who has set unrealistic expectations that are impossible to meet, right?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Honestly, I don’t thinks a fair assesment of what I said. I guess the question is, do you believe trolls can ruin legitimate discourse?

btw. I surely don’t think you’re one of them.  We disagree but I never find you to be disingenuous.  
My concern is with the hacks that destroy every thread.  I typically ignore most of them (not ignore button but just don’t bother) and hope they go away, but new people don’t know yet and it becomes a sh*t show and becomes unreadable.  

That’s all. 

Depends on who gets to define who is and is not a "troll."

5 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

If he even produces an average season, as in middle of the pack in completion %, TD/INT, YPA, we’ll all be happy with that. It’d be a huge jump and undeniable improvement. 

Agreed…however given his draft position we’ll eventually need consistent play that’s beyond average come Year 3 and 4.

Add that quality of QBs in next year’s draft…if we’re picking in the top 10 in 2023 after a meh to average 2022 for Z. Wilson…what do you do then?

• Upvote 1

If Zach is not significantly better this year than last year, or if he gets hurt again, JD is going to have to sign a FA QB, likely a Jimmy G. 

He will cost a fair bit of $, which will affect whether Lawson, Corey Davis and Fant can be kept around (with waiving and not resigning Ross P, there is no C in development, so we will have no choice on paying a C).  

M. White and Rankins could have been let go for significant cap savings.  Those are other head scratchers I had.  I don't see this team being much worse without Rankins and White-I would have rolled with Marshall and Streveler and saved the $6mm.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah, being pessimistic about his chances to become a FQB is totally an emotional-defense mechanism with absolutely no basis in reality.

Correct sir

Exactly.  Don't understand how the Zach apologists act as if there is this compelling evidence to support Zach Wilson as a franchise QB and it's just that we are choosing to ignore it

I mean a stretch of games where you don't turn the ball over as much....suddenly that is proof we have a franchise QB on our hands?

I mean do we live in the real world here, what are we talking about

The "eye test" screams "fail" too, unless you want to isolate 2 or 3 nice throws as the only evidence that counts

Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Eh. Dumb stat.  
But again, no one. Not a single person has said he was good last year.   We see natural ability, we see hard work and we saw growth the final month of the season.  Does it mean he’s going to be good, of course not. 

And I think most even recognize he has an uphill battle, but see something in the kid.  

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Agreed…however given his draft position we’ll eventually need consistent play that’s beyond average come Year 3 and 4.

Add that quality of QBs in next year’s draft…if we’re picking in the top 10 in 2023 after a meh to average 2022 for Z. Wilson…what do you do then?

I'm happy with average this year. If he delivers, totally fair to increase those expectations for Year 3.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Correct sir

Exactly.  Don't understand how the Zach apologists act as if there is this compelling evidence to support Zach Wilson as a franchise QB and it's just that we are choosing to ignore it

I mean a stretch of games where you don't turn the ball over as much....suddenly that is proof we have a franchise QB on our hands

I mean do we live in the real world here, what are we talking about

The "eye test" screams "fail" too, unless you want to isolate 2 or 3 nice throws as the only evidence that counts

Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

It's just always this way with failing NYJ QBs. Same story again and again.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Eh. Dumb stat.  
But again, no one. Not a single person has said he was good last year.   We see natural ability, we see hard work and we saw growth the final month of the season.  Does it mean he’s going to be good, of course not. 

And I think most even recognize he has an uphill battle, but see something in the kid.  

Novel thought -- present a counter-arguement based on a "non dumb stat" that supports your position.

This is called discourse.

• Upvote 1